• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to mount Helmet cam?

D

Dustin_R

Jan 11, 2010
Washington
So I just bought myself a GoPro HD cam, I wanted to get some opinions on where to mount it. Is it best to mount it on top of the helmet? Side? Also do you run a visor on your helmet when you have the cam on top? Suction mount doesnt seem reliable so I am going to use the curve mount base. Got a 16gb card so that should do 4 hours? Thanks all.

M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
GoPro is a great camera, you won't be disapointed. I just hope you have a top notch computer to put the footage onto.

As far as mounting goes, I put the flat 3M mount on to the visor of my helmet. I think it work good and doesn't get any of the visor in the frame this way. I have tried the suction cup mount on the hood of my snowmobile, looking back towards me. It give an interesting angle.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
GoPro is a great camera, you won't be disapointed. I just hope you have a top notch computer to put the footage onto.

As far as mounting goes, I put the flat 3M mount on to the visor of my helmet. I think it work good and doesn't get any of the visor in the frame this way. I have tried the suction cup mount on the hood of my snowmobile, looking back towards me. It give an interesting angle.

I am interested in getting a helmet camera, what do you mean about having a top notch computer to put footage on? Also, have you tried mounting the camera on the side? Can you see your sled with your camera mounted on your visor? From some small research it sounds like the contour and the gopro are the way to go. What are your thoughts?

Hood Mount!!

Dude! Not reliable! Are you kidding me! You could pull dents out of a cars side panel with that thing. You could put this thing on top of you helmet and it would suck your brains dry! I was snowmobiling three days striaght with that suction mount stuck to the hood. I never took it off the entire three days of riding. The sled sat outside the cabin under a tree and that was it's only shelter. Temps were in the teens! When I went to remove it, I had a hard time getting it off the hood it was stuck so well. My safety net was to connect a short piece of stranded wire from the suction mount, and loop it around something in the hood like a vent or something just incase it fell off, it would be banging around on the hood and I would easily see it. NEVER HAPPENED! As long as you have a semi flat and clean surface to mount that cup, it will not fail you.

DSC_0313.jpg

Last edited:
S
Feb 8, 2012
adrenaline systems set up

I just to use the GoPro but found it clumsy with mounting, especially on my helmet; I have more than once knocked it off brushing branches etc.
The ATV adrenaline systems cam kit was perfect as it was easy to mount on helmet / machine with easy angles on anything; having a screen really helps to get the right fit.
http://adrenalinecamera.com/product_info.php?products_id=220
I recently upgraded to the HD 295 version; the vids are as good or better than the go pro and would highly recommend it as an upgrade:
http://adrenalinecamera.com/product_info.php?products_id=342

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I notched out my visor

photobucket-4727-1328163302704.jpg

photobucket-4690-1328163288070.jpg

photobucket-4688-1328163262776.jpg

photobucket-4597-1328163228206.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
From an older post.....

I have mine mounted upside down under my visor so it's really close and easy to see/hear.

I like it this way so that I don't have to worry about losing it when going through the tight trees and it's easy to see the start/stop button just above my normal vision level. It's barely noticeable with goggles on, a little moreso when wearing sunglasses, but not too bad.

100_6848-1.jpg

I have it mounted on the helmet itself, not the visor.... I had to combine a couple different mounts to get it to work how I wanted. The way my AFX-FX-17 (same shell as the 509) helmet is shaped it is pointy on top so I had to either have it forward or way back. This way I would also have to take a direct shot to the face for the camera to get hit.

100_6405.jpg

100_6399.jpg

100_6400.jpg

G
Dec 16, 2007
Washington
As far as mounting I prefer top of the helmet over side, when mounted on the side I noticed there is noticeably more camera shake
As far as cameras, I'd take go pro over countour any day of the week. Went through 2 countours in less then 10 hours of use,they wouldn't replace the second one, screw that company.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
what do you mean about having a top notch computer to put footage on?

Because the cameras shoot in such a high rate of frame and such good quality when downloaded onto your computer or laptop and played back they will be a little "choppy".....this normal I have found unless you have a MAC computer or a perfesional style PC. If you edit the videos the footage will be choppy in the editing process as well which can be a pain to trim, but once uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo the chop isn't there anymore and you get a nice picture

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Because the cameras shoot in such a high rate of frame and such good quality when downloaded onto your computer or laptop and played back they will be a little "choppy".....this normal I have found unless you have a MAC computer or a perfesional style PC. If you edit the videos the footage will be choppy in the editing process as well which can be a pain to trim, but once uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo the chop isn't there anymore and you get a nice picture

I recently just lost my motherboard on my desktop but instead of replacing the motherboard I upgraded computers with intentions of being able to handle downloading and editing hd cam footage. I have yet to purchase a camera but will prior to next season. I certainly hope I purchased correctly or else the extra money for the upgrade with have been a waste of money...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i used the vented helmet mount and ran the straps through the vents in the visor. works well. I rolled my sled over me and it sheared the center screw on my visor and the camera stayed on.

Premium Features