• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

137" 800 e tec turbo w 2.5 " track?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
got wheelies/???

i think that would be more your issue than anything, it would probalby smoke a stocker 163 once you got it moving, but im betting taking off you would regret the shorty. IMO, it doesnt have the kinda track behind it to take off.. 153 turbos are wild out of the hole. and a 136 is a LOT shorter. again, it would probably kick *** once up to speed, but im betting low speed in deep snow it would just flip over if you gave it WOT.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I agree. it would still suck on the deep days even with a turbo.
I think it would be fun if the snow was setup or not much powder. wheelie machine. if you could get a really good run at the hill and get your ground speed up I could posibly see it out climbing a stock 163 in just the right snow conditions. If the snow was deep and had much powder it will just wheelie right up and not make it up much of any thing fairly steep.
I could see a 146 turbo giving a N/A 163 a really good run for its money and beating it in a climb. Certain snow conditions and riding situations I think a n/a 163 would beat a turbo 146. Slow and technical in deep snow would not work out very well on a turbo 146.
I definatly would not go shorter then a 146 turbo for mountain riding. Even then I would really recomend a 154 or longer. my turbo 154 xp is a wheelie machine. Just a little extra gound speed makes a big difference in a climb. Ground speed gets too low and it just comes strait up and have to feather the throttle to keep it down.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
in a straight climb with a nice run, the issues come from, deep snow, dead stop, you wack the go flipper on the shorty and it will just spool and flip over.. i could see sidehilling being a PITA.. i had issues with my 162 doing that, it would just straight flip over backwards on me when getting on it to hard sidehilling or taking off from a dead stop wot... so im betting a 137 would be unrideable when it gets deep out.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
In ANY snow conditions a 146" turbo would beat a n/a 163".

In bottomless powder with little to no run at the hill the 163 NA would probably win. the 146 turbo will not make it as high up the hill if it does not get some ground speed first.
If both sleds were allowed to get a good run at the hill the turbo 146 would win. Getting a little bit of ground speed up will make a huge difference on the turbo 146.
Slow tight tree riding in deep powder the n/a 163 would do better. If you can keep the ground speed up the turbo 146 would do better.
Just what I think would happen based on my experiance riding my 154 turbo xp with na 163's. I would like to try it with a turbo 146 just for the heck of it.
A little extra ground speed makes a huge difference on if I can hold it full throttle and keep the front end down on a steep climb.

Where are you talking about getting a 137x2.5? I thought the shortest 2.5 they made was a 144? Atleast that's what's listed on tracksusa.

Do the math on it, you only loose really 5 padels in the snow at a given time between a 162 vs 144 with a 2.86/3.00 pitch, I know it's math and not real world but something to think about, and it's not like he's running a 2". But the weight transfer game would be hell for climbing, you might try valving the factory coupled skid to work in the mountains and leave the transfer blocks in. Then again, the good skids out on the market right now you have options. I think it'd probably surprise people, I wanna see the trackspeed numbers!:D

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
oh.. and more thoughts.. my sled(when it had the wheelie issues) had a stock skid, limiters all the way in, and rear torsions as stiff as they would go. on 1' days it was a hoot, but in deeper snow it trenched and just flipped over... this is with another 1' plus of track on the ground. again, get some ground speed up and it worked great, but the thing liked to just flip over, mindyou i had a crappy track and poor suspension setup. a couple of times in pretty setup pow, i took off on a gentle incline, and it would straight trench down and flip over, some throttle control delt with it, but i could flip it straight over on gentle (<10*) hills in harder snow. i just htink your gonna regret building it, not trying to be a dink, but just to much power for the track IMO, not physical traction, but the leverage around the rear wheel required to flip it is now so much easier with the shorter track.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

I think a turbo 1997 RMK with a 136x15 would walk up about any hill better than a bone stock 163. From what i have seen a turbo is the real deal reguardless of track length

D
Nov 26, 2007
Short Track turbos are worthless in deep snow.(I know this because I made the same mistake once):face-icon-small-win A short track will just spin and trench and get stuck and the xp will walk all over you. If you put a track under the turbo to get some traction, then its a different story. It might be fun in some areas but in deep snow the short track sucks.

R

Revanator

I have a Rev 860 with Twin Aeros.. and a 136" track...

I have thought the way alot of you have, for a long time.. probably ever since I have been riding sleds. For a stock sled.. longer/ wider track got you higher on the hill, better in the deep pow, on in on...

My sled makes right around 260hp on 9psi...my track is off of a 98' summit x.. its a 1.75"x136x15 track... and I track speed averages 90mph on most snow days while climbing.. I thought it would suck in the mountains, and would be a little wheelie machine. But, After a couple years with it.... i proved myself differently and everyone else i ride with.. and every long track that thinks they can out climb me..(on most days).

With the suspension setup right, it doesnt wheelie out of control all the time, but comes up when you want it too. A 136 takes boondocking to a whole new level! you can literally spin around in a 15ft circle, and cut through trees like crazy! On deep days, 4-5ft of fresh dry pow, I actually float better than a 162x16 ported track thats on my other rev. Your turning the track fast enough actually you float out of the snow, instead of trench. In alot of snow, yes.. you have to keep your momentum, but not a lot. its way fun to ride, and jump! and boondock!

Cons:
If I lived in BC, or if I rode big mtns and chutes all the time, I would definately have this motor in a 163 chasis.. and a 4-stroke Turbo!! When your in deep snow headed up the hill through the trees and you have to slow down, to almost a stop, then turn, and WOT.. its nice to have a longer track.

If you live in a place.. like CO, WY and ride alot of terrain thats not big wide open mtns, and chutes... DO IT! you won't ride a sled thats more fun, and easy to handle, jump, side hill, boondock..its so much fun!!! And ive climbed against turbo's that all have at least 154 tracks and I climb higher and faster.. its all about track speed!!

Just my .02 from someone who has one, and has spent a few yrs on one!

downsized_0328091114a.jpg GetAttachment 23.jpg

Premium Features