• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 duramax denali vs f 350 powerstoke 6.7

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
Hey guys just a few things to help you pick your next sledding rig
had the chance to put some miles on both
duramax has a nicer big fuel tank
duramax handles better going down the road, ford seems like you have to move steering wheel back and forth
the f 350 I used had some wind noise on drivers side doors
inside of the ford is awesome and like how the pickup sits up higher
also nice on ford that you can get leather and seat 6 people

hope that helps everyone!

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
pickups

after running them both. I would say if ford makes them handle more like the chevy and puts in a bigger fuel tank, it would be hard to beat it.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Does the Duratrash still eat injectors, or is that just the old ones? Just asking?

They seemed to have fixed that on the newer ones. I had a 2002 with the LB7 and it did have injector issues.

As far as comparing the trucks - I think it comes down to personal preference and dealer support right now. The trucks are very even IMO. I have a 2011 Dmax that I have been very happy with, I also have friends that have Dmax and Fords that are all great trucks too.

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Truck

I like the ford in side but gm has got the new half ton out now,
the 3/4 will be here soon, not so sure on the looks of the new one,
the gmc grill looks good, the d max has been good one, the ford
has the 6.0, 6.4, 6.7 i hope they got it right now, they are sucking
hind tot on all these motor's, dodge i think has a good one now.
as long as it built USA im for it.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
My vote is for neither as I don't wish to deal with Urea injection and a diesel particulate filter.

Ha ha!! Wow, it's really hard to manage, all those fluids and filters....wait, I guess it's just one more fluid (DEF), and it fills up about as often as windshiled wiper fluid and oil changes, and the filter is seemingly nonexistent...

Over 33k on my '13 Duramax and I find the "extra" work involved due to the DEF/DPF is negligible. Would it be nice to not have them, yup....but, it's really not a big deal in any way. Well worth it to have the power and clean exhaust, and I average about 18 mpg overall.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have an '11 Duramax Denali. I was worried about the DEF too but there is nothing to it. I put in like 2.5 gallons every 3500 miles. Not one problem with the DEF or particulate filter. I would like to delete the filter but I don't want to void warranty.

I'm very happy with this truck. The power train is awesome. The 35 gallon tank (short bed) is great except when you have to fill up empty! I like the leather in the Denali much better than the Ford. I rode in a Harley Davidson edition and thought it was terrible. The chrome capped emblems in the seat and center console were horrible. Maybe the King Ranch is better. I would like a little more rear seat room but I don't think I want mega cab size. I like the iPhone remote start, heated and cooled seats and exhaust brake. I expected HID lights with the Denali, but you don't get that.

I have been in the '14 1/2 ton GMC and it is sweet. Fixes most of the previous trucks short comings. Leather soft dashes versus plastic. Better driver control center, projector lights (perfect for a HID update), more cab room, etc.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I might have to trade my12' duramax in for a 15' I rode in a 14' 1500 yesterday and that interior is amazing!

A
Jan 26, 2012
I have a 12 6.7 short box and yes the fuel tank capacity does suck a little, but on long road trips about when you have to pull over to take a piss is about when you need to fill up. Also it doesn't look so bad when you're only putting in 20ish gallons every time either imho. Also I have the dpf and urea delete which did cost a little bit of cash but I believe its worth it for the extra horse power and the fuel mileage. I was getting 21 mpg going 80 down the interestate with stock wheels and tires. Also you cant beat the interior of a lariat I think. I have a buddy that I go sledding with that has a '12 duramax and yes he did get a little better mileage then I did, before I put the delete on. Also riding in his back seat for hundreds and hundreds of miles I believe the fords back seat is more roomy, not by much but ever inch counts when you're taking 1200 mile round trips like we do. Also I think how the fords sit up a little higher is nice for appearance looks but thats just me. And the handeling I think is pretty much a wash, unless you are a die hard chevy or ford fan. And if you buy a long box its basically the same fuel tank capacity +- a couple gallons. And the new 6.7 are bullet proof just like the old 7.3. My buddy does have 70k + on his duramax and hasn't had any problems, except when he smoked a deer HA! Basically they both are great vehicles! But i'm a ford fan and not many ppl had the new fords when I bought mine unlike all the chevys you see out there. But nowadays its pretty much neck and neck for ford vs chevy on the road. Do what ya want, you're going to anyways HA! hope it kinda helped

A
Jan 26, 2012
Also with all the mods I did to my powerstroke they ARE bolt on/off, so if need be I can return everything back to stock. It will take probably a half a day or so, or an entire night with a case of beer and a buddy to help out. Also I'm not sure if its true but on the fords when you tune them the dealer can't tell you did that, and they can on a Chevy. But that is what I was told from the custom diesel shop about the '12's, not sure about the 14's tho.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I can't believe that nobody copies Ford & puts a keypad on their doors.

Seems trivial, unless you've had the Ford w/keypad & then the next vehicle did not.
So simple & sensible, all should have it.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I can't believe that nobody copies Ford & puts a keypad on their doors.

Seems trivial, unless you've had the Ford w/keypad & then the next vehicle did not.

So simple & sensible, all should have it.

What's the point? GM uses onstar. You can unlock your truck from your phone. Lock your keys in you can use a phone and call onstar or unlock from your phone with an app.
I can start a GM vehicle anywhere. Say before you head back to the truck while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features