• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant Resovoir?

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
My tank split this weekend in the usual spot. Is there an updated tank that is coming out for the 14s' that is larger and doesn't split?

B
Feb 11, 2008
Red Deer Area AB
I feel for you guys, I went through 3 tanks in 4 rides. Got pizzed off and changed a bunch of stuff around and sled runs awesome if anything its running to cold. My problem is with the HCR very small cooler so I moded it and made it way bigger, went to a Diamond S hood and hung a 30'' long snowflap on it. been out 4 times and not one issue.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
I feel for you guys, I went through 3 tanks in 4 rides. Got pizzed off and changed a bunch of stuff around and sled runs awesome if anything its running to cold. My problem is with the HCR very small cooler so I moded it and made it way bigger, went to a Diamond S hood and hung a 30'' long snowflap on it. been out 4 times and not one issue.

I just installed the hcr cooler before the ride that blew the tanks seam. What did u do to the cooler to make it cool better? The only difference between the two coolers are the long unfinned tubes that carry the coolant to the back exchanger. Did they check out your turbo and engine after that many tanks going out? I was concerned about the turbo as I sat there and watched all the coolant blow all over my header, knowing that it had no coolant.

B
Feb 11, 2008
Red Deer Area AB
I just installed the hcr cooler before the ride that blew the tanks seam. What did u do to the cooler to make it cool better? The only difference between the two coolers are the long unfinned tubes that carry the coolant to the back exchanger. Did they check out your turbo and engine after that many tanks going out? I was concerned about the turbo as I sat there and watched all the coolant blow all over my header, knowing that it had no coolant.

that makes a world of difference getting the coolant to the back were the track will through much need snow up to cool machine, mine is worse with the SC 300 kit cause it makes so much heat. I would stick to the larger longer cooler.
this is what mine looks like and works awesome.

cooler .jpg

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
HCR has plenty of cooling capacity if you use ice scratchers. I blew my tank with the longer cooler by the way. It is the turbo's heat that causes coolant to boil. The seam leaking is just ****ty manufacturing. It has a pressure release vented cap for a reason.

B
Feb 11, 2008
Red Deer Area AB
HCR has plenty of cooling capacity if you use ice scratchers. I blew my tank with the longer cooler by the way. It is the turbo's heat that causes coolant to boil. The seam leaking is just ****ty manufacturing. It has a pressure release vented cap for a reason.

I disagree , I have ran my sled every trip with scratchers down....dragging my feet and still would not cool. now with the bigger cooler etc much more effective on cooling the sled.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Tank Solution.....

Weld it even if brand new. Hey Wade, guess who had a tank split on the trail last week in Wyoming.....on day one! And jays butane only lasted enough for a quarter way around. Back to the truck, weld it up with propane and a screwdriver. No more issue.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Weld it even if brand new. Hey Wade, guess who had a tank split on the trail last week in Wyoming.....on day one! And jays butane only lasted enough for a quarter way around. Back to the truck, weld it up with propane and a screwdriver. No more issue.

Tried to weld mine up with a soldering iron and it held for about 10 miles then it began to spray really bad all over header. Antifreeze and a header blanket make a great firestarter BTW.

Its POS design, know of guys that have had to purchase several before getting one that holds coolant at temp.

You would think an egineer would know that you don't use a plastic two piece coolant tank that half the machine has to come apart to get out. For God's sake there's a line coming right from the turbo right into the tank where it splits!!!

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Tried to weld mine up with a soldering iron and it held for about 10 miles then it began to spray really bad all over header. Antifreeze and a header blanket make a great firestarter BTW.

Its POS design, know of guys that have had to purchase several before getting one that holds coolant at temp.

You would think an egineer would know that you don't use a plastic two piece coolant tank that half the machine has to come apart to get out. For God's sake there's a line coming right from the turbo right into the tank where it splits!!!

Never had a welded one split, but I've been plastic welding for a long time. Car audio guy lol. If you don't have enough meat over the seam I could see it splitting again. We have pressure tested to 30+ psi after welding. Cap is 16lbs so you would think that would be alright, but with their quality control the cap probably won't blow off until 45 or something.

B
Feb 11, 2008
Red Deer Area AB

LOL dude you just cant escape the demon of split tanks and no butane. chitty to hear but sounds like you got it handled.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I'm going to say something to you that Arctic Cat never will:

I'm sorry that your badly designed coolant tank split. I hope it didn't cause you to lose any riding time.

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
It did!

Blew coolant all over had to be towed out about 15-20 miles! Jeff C and his kid were up riding in the Two Harbors area with me. Cut my day in half but at least they got to ride the rest of the day. I was done at 1PM

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
That sucks! At least you weren't out west like I was... I would have been up there riding as well, but I made the mistake of taking mine into the dealer to get the low RPM issue fixed, hand warmer replaced, and cracked chaincase replaced. Not only have they now had the sled for two weeks preventing me from using this weekend, but they did the chaincase first and won't be able to test the low RPM issue since the snow is gone. They don't build boost on the stand, so they don't stand a chance of fixing it anymore...

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Does someone else make a coolant tank that I can buy?

I dont want to wait until I am out west and have the tank split, only to wreck my vacation. Everyone who I know that has bought one of these 2012 turbos has had the coolant tank split. Come on!!

Hey Cat, how about an aluminum coolant tank!!

By the way Stephan, the snow in Two Harbors was awesome yesterday. Latest I have ever ridden in Minnesota. April 7

Wow

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Took family on vaca to Florida for 10 days come back and call dealer only to find out Cat isn't shipping ordered coolant tanks right now with no idea when! Still rideable snow in the U.P. too :face-icon-small-fro The dealer's original date of shipping was before Cat's inventory too. Maybe they just figured out what a POS design they have.

They'll probably just hang another plastic coolant tank within inches of a cherry red manifold with a silly little I've been pressure tested sticker on it.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Wow, I guess I'm lucky I got a replacement.

That being said it took 3.5 weeks to replace my inner chaincase cover under warranty. Two of those weeks it was waiting for parts. Apparently Arctic Cat took a "shipping holiday", whatever the hell that is...

I haven't actually gotten the sled back yet, and they still haven't looked at my low RPM issue (wish they had looked at that first before replacing the inner chaincase that wasn't leaking yet...). They told me it would be ready for this weekend though, and god damn, close to 4 weeks at the dealer is enough!

Premium Features