• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Consumption?

Paul Christianson

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
I put on 140 miles on my xm in cooke and used over a gallon of oil Is this normal? the sled has 220 total miles on it.

Last edited:
S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
I put on 140 miles on my xm in cooke and used over a gallon of oil Is this normal? the sled has 240 total miles on it.

That is about the same that mine is using which i think is way to much. Just got back from dealer he hooked his computer up to it and did a high altitude up date .Sled is fully broke in has 330 miles and 16 hrs. Hopefully that will help, see what it does Saturday.

Paul Christianson

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks everyone for the input. Mine even fouled the spark plugs one morning shortly after i started it. Probably didn't help it was -30 outside.

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Oil use has a large factor in how much you are wide open or how often you blip the throttle from idle to wide open. For every time you go wide open punching the throttle the oil pump sends something like 3 extra pumps of oil on top of what ever is already being pumped.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I'm at a little over 200 miles and I've gone through about 3/4 of a tank. AND, my Polaris buddies hate the smell of my sled :face-icon-small-ton

So far, I've typically been at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I try to vary it when I think about it.

Paul Christianson

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
I just had my dealer hook it up to the computer. I have 224 miles on it now and it has 14% break in left. I asked about the high altitude update and they knew nothing about that? Hopefully it gets better after the break in is done. Nobody really knows or can explain why it fouled the spark plugs? Everyone i have asked said they never heard of the e tek doing that?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I would just guess breakin being rich. Like was posted, the oil delivery is based on how the throttle is used, so if used a certain way, it will load up quick. Mine has done some funny stuttering/backfiring after babying it around and then punching it. It definately cleans out and runs differenty on higher speed trails.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I would just guess breakin being rich. Like was posted, the oil delivery is based on how the throttle is used, so if used a certain way, it will load up quick. Mine has done some funny stuttering/backfiring after babying it around and then punching it. It definately cleans out and runs differenty on higher speed trails.

Mine did the very same thing a couple of times.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Holy crap, I just rode 35 miles in DEEP snow, used over half a tank of oil and 3/4 tank of gas. Just shows how throttle application has a big influence on oil consumption. Oh, 150 miles on it total. Although an "X" model I rode with today left some pretty nasty oil marks on the snow when taking off, maybe there IS something to the oil consumption concerns once they are broken in? As long I as I am still in break-in mode, I will feed it as much oil as it wants!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Holy crap, I just rode 35 miles in DEEP snow, used over half a tank of oil and 3/4 tank of gas. Just shows how throttle application has a big influence on oil consumption. Oh, 150 miles on it total. Although an "X" model I rode with today left some pretty nasty oil marks on the snow when taking off, maybe there IS something to the oil consumption concerns once they are broken in? As long I as I am still in break-in mode, I will feed it as much oil as it wants!

That is a normal day for me. I regularly use 1/2- 2/3 of a tank of oil. And seem to average a min of 6 gallons per ride up to 9 gallons of gas.
After 850 ish miles this year I have been through right around 4.5-6 gallons of oil.

The Etec when rode in the mountains hard DOES NOT use less oil than a carb motor. The only time it uses less oil is low rpm, light load riding, or on hard pack snow.

G

gorilla

Feb 9, 2012
middle of no where
The Etec when rode in the mountains hard DOES NOT use less oil than a carb motor. The only time it uses less oil is low rpm, light load riding, or on hard pack snow.

Exactly. A 2 stroke needs oil to survive and that ratio is the same as a carb motor. When riding trails, both of my etecs "sip" oil and fuel, VERY efficient. But, when riding hard, it sucks down oil and fuel just like any other 800cc motor out there. My Polaris Pro sucks down fuel and oil all the time, not just when riding hard. Thats why I only ride the Pro on short trip days and if it is gonna be a long day, I ride the etec.

Premium Features