• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proper belt deflection on my 2013 1100T forces belt too low into secondary

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Turbo11t just seen that pic on hcs. Look good. As for the belt twisting read a post on hcs that if both clutches are shifted out and the belt has a twist it is a align ment problem. Not sure if it makes sence, just repeating what I read.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
The post is on hcs ( gates belt measurement ) post 43. Some o e with more nolage can read it and see if it will help.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
$750 smackers and you have to send in your clutches, forget it I'll jump ship before I spend that kinda of money above and beyond what I've already spent. BTW don't have any belt blowing problems.

K

Koby

Nov 26, 2007
Saddle Hills
has everybody called cat yet?
204 982 1651
Let the know your blowing belts and pizzed off.
Guy I talked to had 8 calls before noon regarding this. He said they are compiling a list. Told him about the ****ed up fuel gauge readings too.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
This is the original 082 with just under 300 miles.
I replaced it yesterday due to this inspection.
Anybody know what causes this wear?
Not complaining about 250 miles but never really have seen a belt wear like this.
Heat?
Inside of the secondary is clean and there is no black marks or evidence of bottoming out.

belt.jpg belt1.jpg

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
This is the original 082 with just under 300 miles.
I replaced it yesterday due to this inspection.
Anybody know what causes this wear?
Not complaining about 250 miles but never really have seen a belt wear like this.
Heat?
Inside of the secondary is clean and there is no black marks or evidence of bottoming out.

i would say it would have to be bottoming out in the secondary to rub it off like that.. only other possibility is it is getting squeezed so hard and bowing like mbms showed in his pics...

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
i would say it would have to be bottoming out in the secondary to rub it off like that.. only other possibility is it is getting squeezed so hard and bowing like mbms showed in his pics...

His sled has no shift out spacer but I had him send me pics of the secondary opened up and I do see marks on the side of the sheaves showing it has gotten pretty far down but the helix and cambacks are perfect no marks. All the ones I have seen where we thought the belt bottomed out in the secondary have left significant evidence on the helix and white plastic cam backs???

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
Last year I put 780 miles on my 1100T HCR with all the evo goodies and mds weights with no belt failers. This year put a new belt on and it blew in 80 miles so i put a new belt on and blew it in 40 miles. I put last years belt back on and have went 100 miles no problems so i pulled it off today and held it up to a new belt and it is 1/4 inch longer. Cat has changed there mold or somthing because they are not the same length and they are both 082 and the new belt I tested against the old one has 20 break in miles so the old one has not streched that much it is just bigger has anyone else seen this.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
All M1100 Turbos I have seen need the secondary opened up with very little to no deflection washers to get proper belt deflection. So they end up sitting deep into the secondary. I have measured many 0627-082 belts and all are on the absolute short side of Arctic Cat specification. Most measure between 46 1/16 and 46 1/8. I think the belt should be around 46 1/2 to 46 3/4. Another wierd thing, is we have several 2012 M1100 Turbos that did well with belts last year...and this year not so much. I believe the heat created by the drive system combined with the heat from the powerplant puts the belt near its blowing or breaking point on stock units. Some guys and some sleds do better than others. The ones with increased power are quickly realizing the limits of the belt to withstand the heat and also the power is putting the overly short belt into conditions it can't withstand. With the shift out spacer in the secondary it keeps trying to shift up the primary causing catastrophic failure. If the spacer is not in, the power, torque, and short belt are sucked into the secondary with equally catastrophic belt destruction. Ripping a belt to shreds in under 100 miles IMO is not a clutch calibration issue ie. weights, helix, springs etc. I think the belt is too short and there are possibly other problems with the clutches....I just don't know what exactly those problems are.

Woody

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
His sled has no shift out spacer but I had him send me pics of the secondary opened up and I do see marks on the side of the sheaves showing it has gotten pretty far down but the helix and cambacks are perfect no marks. All the ones I have seen where we thought the belt bottomed out in the secondary have left significant evidence on the helix and white plastic cam backs???

yep, i agree with you , my sled has the marks to prove it has bottomed out.... only slightly but it has....

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
yep, i agree with you , my sled has the marks to prove it has bottomed out.... only slightly but it has....

Did you take the spacer out of your secondary? All the 2013's are supposed to come with the spacer that prevents it from bottoming out in the secondary.:face-icon-small-dis

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Looks to be that the bushings on belt blowers are not clearanced right. Put your clutches in the ole lady's oven to 250 and then use an oven mitt to see if binding. Without springs of course.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Last year I put 780 miles on my 1100T HCR with all the evo goodies and mds weights with no belt failers. This year put a new belt on and it blew in 80 miles so i put a new belt on and blew it in 40 miles. I put last years belt back on and have went 100 miles no problems so i pulled it off today and held it up to a new belt and it is 1/4 inch longer. Cat has changed there mold or somthing because they are not the same length and they are both 082 and the new belt I tested against the old one has 20 break in miles so the old one has not streched that much it is just bigger has anyone else seen this.

I think this is 50% of the problem this year and why it wasn't last year. If we would have been measuring belts last year I bet that is what we would find. They were on the longer side of spec while this year is the short side of spec.

While I disagree with Cat putting the spacer in instead of just making the belt longer, the alternative in most cases is it gets pulled down and catches on the helix. For curiousity we took a 12 that had rub marks on the helix and put the spacer in without the spring. There was a fair bit farther to go on the faces with the belt so we kept shaving it down until it was as far as you wanted the belt to go. The spacer started roughly at 21mm and we ended up at 18mm.

If you shave the spacer down to where the belt is as deep as it can go there is really no harm in it other than maybe your belt goes past that just enough to not make the belt too short i guess.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Did you take the spacer out of your secondary? All the 2013's are supposed to come with the spacer that prevents it from bottoming out in the secondary.:face-icon-small-dis

i did not take it out, not sure if the dealer did this or not, i have not even looked, been to busy, i will try and look this evening...

Premium Features