• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 Dodge 2500 vs 2003 GMC 2500

SkiDooHoser

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Driggs, Idaho
Both diesel, both extra cab, 4x4 etc.

Currently own the 2001 Dodge with 167,000 miles. Runs great but its a loud rattling rough ridin etc....

Can get the GMC for about $9000 plus 2001 trade in. Has about 95,000 mile on it.

Any thoughts?????

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
get a 2004 Dodge, quiet and you won't feel like an old man driving it like the GM.

Had a 2001 Dodge, 2004 Dodge, 2008 GMC and now a 2010 Dodge.

GM was fast in a straight line (chipped) but steering is slow and ride is way too low. Lots of tranny leaks and electrical issues too. Brakes are too small and pulling big loads heats them up too much. Was always worried about warping the aluminum heads so always had to back down. Not a problem with the Dodge.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
If your reason for tradin' up is to not be loud rattly and rough then the GMC wins hands down.
Lotsa variables that you have to consider, condition of both trucks, major repairs done or will need to be done on both trucks. History on the 03?
I've owned both and the plusses for the Dodge are looks, can get a 6speed (GM too in the LB7 but not as common), Cummins runs forever.
Downsides of the Dodge, rides rougher, 2nd Gen trucks just drive sloppier in general than the GMT800? trucks, VP44, plus what you said.
Upsides of the LB7, quieter if that's what you want, Allison trans no explanantion needed, again very reliable engine save for some injector problems (Who puts 500kmi on their truck anyway? If it blows up at 300-400k I don't give a chit since I won't own it then.), more refined truck in about all respects.
Downsides to the LB7, injectors (but I know myslef and others that had NO injector issues), ride height (if that's important). Personally I thought my 02 Dmax was a better truck than 2nd Gen Dodge. That said I sold the DMax with NO issues for a 3rd Gen diesel Mega Cab.
Apples to apples an 03 Dmax ext cab is not worth $9k more than an 01 Cummins with the miles you're talking about, but............
depending on maint, condition, mods, accessories, etc it could be worth $9k more.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I had an 01 Cummins. Have had many buddies with 02-07 Duramaxes. I personally had an 04 GMC half ton.

I agree that the 01 and up GM trucks are a better truck then the 2nd Gen Dodge. However, I think the 3rd gen Dodge is a nicer truck then the 01-07 GMs.

I also had an 03 Cummins and it was a big step up. Way quieter, better riding and driving truck.

That being said most Duramaxes have been reliable with exception of injectors. But the same can be said for 3rd gen Dodges.

In summary, I don't think the 03 is worth $9000 more. Maybe 5 or 6k?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm in the minority here but I think the trade price is fair.

10 cents/mile & $1000/year.......seems fair to me, assuming trucks are equipped similarly & in equal condition.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Rough trade in is $13k
Clean retail is $19,000

Consumer Book value NADA, assuming it is leather. If not leather probably $500 less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Rough trade On the dodge is a kit $6,500

Clean trade is $7,400. That doesn't include cleaning, inspection or anything that needs done.
I'd say their price is fair.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Rough trade On the dodge is a kit $6,500

Clean trade is $7,400. That doesn't include cleaning, inspection or anything that needs done.
I'd say their price is fair.

Keep in mind, it would be wrong for the dealership & salesman to make a profit.:face-icon-small-dis

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i don't think you would be one bit dissapointed if you do the switch, big step up in technology and performance in the lb7 over the 2nd gen. my buddy made the exact same swap(01 cummins to 03 dmax) and the only thing he says he missed about the dodge is the manual trans. yes the lb7 was known for injector issues but its hit and miss with some gettin well over 200k with no issues. as for the head warping issues people claim cuz the aluminum heads, its bs, yes it could happen but its not a common issue like some would like to believe. the dmax is basically unchanged since they came out in 01 still running aluminum heads on iron block, i think it would have been changed if it was an issue just like the lb7 injectors and lly cooling issues were addressed in later models. any motor can and will eventually fail even the all mighty cummins, i seen 2 of them blow up in the last year. 01 with a cracked cylinder had a small tuner on it, and an 05 lost injector which caused valve seat to drop which caused contact between valve and piston which pretty much trashed everything in that cylinder and put holes in the block and this was a bone stock company truck.

Snopro98

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2009
Western WI
Unless his 01 has more rust than steel left on the body, at 167k that truck is worth alot more than $6500. Your truck plus $9k is waaaaaaaay too much to pay for an 03. Personally if it was your truck plus 3-4k Id say its worth it. Myself Im partial to the Cummins, have had 7 and currently own 3. Would I buy a D-max hell yeah, damn good motor and yes they can warp heads along with a cummins. I have seen 12v heads warp to be 15 thou different across the head. Also I wouldnt just say any d-max's have injector issues. Anything thats a common rail has injector issues. Most and I say most common rails will need injectors before 100k. The cleaner the fuel the longer they will last. As far as the vp44 goes. Put a good lift pump on it and it will last. They all have problems. Bottomline if you want an upgrade, Do yourself a favor and sell your truck outright. If its got a clean body that thing is worth $10k all day long $12k if its mint.

Last edited:
S

SaskRMK

Sep 7, 2010
Saskatoon,SK
CUMMINS! My 2001 24v has been Amazing to me. Just get a FASS to protect the lift and injection pump

Last edited:
Premium Features