• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting conversation with the Dealer on oil today!!

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I was talking to the local dealer about oil today. I told him I was going to run Amsoil and not the Polaris. He asked if I still had warranty on my sled. I told him I did and then he said you better run Polaris oil. So I asked can you show me where it says that...... well NO. He then admitted to me that there is no spot that it asks on a burn down if it had Polaris oil. Then he went on to tell me that all E-tecs burned down last year at 1400 miles because of the oil. I told him that was interesting as I was on a Ski Doo and around those fourms and had not heard that. I asked if he was talking about the recall the E-tec is having now from the pins....... he wasn't sure. I think he was more worried that I was not buy his $50 per gallon oil than he was about anything really and he wanted to scare me into buying it! "It is mixed just for the Polaris motor"...... I wish I would have asked if these motor as really all that much different from the stand point of what they need for oil.

He followed all of this up with you know I graduated from tech school last year......... really?? Your 2 years of class room...... :)

I guess what I am getting at is I count on these fourms more than my dealer.

Side note- this is not a burn this oil burn that oil topic!

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
ya im with you, i run polaris oil just cuz i always have, but when anything is wrong with my sled my dealer looks at me with a stupid face when i explain to him all the stuff ive learned on these forums... never heard of it.. snowest fixes my sled not my dealer

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Better question for him....

Go ask him how much of the oil is enough! haha

Just figured my ratio from my first two rides at 55:1

Doesn't matter how good the oil is if it's not getting enough.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What do you think about this dealer?

I have ran AmsOil in my sleds, dirt bike, quad, street bike, two Duramax's and my wife's gasser. My last five sleds have been Polaris sleds including the famed D8 that supposedly bombed. I put 1700 miles on it and never missed a beat. I put 3200 miles on my D7 and never had a problem. Guess I'm saying that the AmsOil works for me.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
next time you talk to him..ask him if he is giving you the oil for free..because there are federal laws that prohibit a manufacturer from specifying that only their oil can be used to keep the warranty intact unless they give you the oil free....now with that said..you do need to run oil that meets the same specs as the oil the manufacturer requires..as long as you do that...your warranty is intact.....

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
next time you talk to him..ask him if he is giving you the oil for free..because there are federal laws that prohibit a manufacturer from specifying that only their oil can be used to keep the warranty intact unless they give you the oil free....now with that said..you do need to run oil that meets the same specs as the oil the manufacturer requires..as long as you do that...your warranty is intact.....

Does anyone know if this law is in place in Canada as well?

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
They can turn away any warranty claim they want if they feel the failure was from not running there oil. They will have a dealer remove oil from oil tank & send it in for testing!! ive seen it.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
this oil thing just gets way out of hand, can anyone say they have ever seen any sled burn down because of the type of oil that was used??? i've been riding 2 strokes for nearly 40 years and have run every type of oil under the sun and never once had or seen a failure from any brand as long as the mixture was correct...

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
Really don't care for the dealer but it is 3 blocks from my office and being in a small town we really try to support local..... that being said- there is a good dealer 25 miles from my house and a very large dealer about 45 miles away. Dealer in town is for when I need a quick part. Any work and it is going down the road!!

I asked him if he was giving me the oil for free..... he didn't know what to say!! He said are you really going to fight that?

I bet if they (Polaris) said it was from the oil, Amsoil would go to bat for you I would that to think...???

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Read the fine print on warranty when you buy the ski-doo it states that if you don't run there oil it is not covered. Seen it happen here but find a good dealer and give him the business and they will go beyond and above what they need to. Hats off to FELKERS MOTORSPORTS

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
they can send the oil for testing..but they have to prove that the oil caused the failure..and as long as the oil meets the same specs as the manufacturers oil..they cant deny warranty on it..this went thru with the car manufacturers back in the early 80's..the manufacturers lost..it was a pretty big deal..its the reason all oils carry a rating/spec label on them....here you can read more about it....
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm
more info...
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I have been using Mystic oil in my Polaros for years with no ill effects and warranty work done without question. Consider this, XPS Oil will sponsor the oil in this year's Iron Dog and everyone will use it, except of course the Yamaha and F-1100 AC teams. Good oil is good oil.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Oil is oil, for the most part and there are already umpteen million threads on this every frickin season. Run whatever make you happy, or smells best, or has a color that matches your sled..whatever.

Dealerships push their brand specific oil because that's where the profits are. They don't make squat on the sled they make their money on the accessories and the upkeep. I can't speak for the industry but MY dealer made 3.5% on my sled. That about covers the tech's hours for dealer inspection and prep.

I buy Polaris oil for three main reasons:
It was engineered for my machine
If there's ever an oil related failure Poo has no argument
I want my dealer to make a living so they'll be there when I need them

True, some dealers are better than others but so are some customers. I don't operate under the assumption that I'm buying from Boris and Natasha...like they're out to get me and I don't begrudge them the $15 a jug they make off of me on oil.

Run what you like but this whole harangue, e v e r y y e a r is tiresome.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
Oil is oil, for the most part and there are already umpteen million threads on this every frickin season. Run whatever make you happy, or smells best, or has a color that matches your sled..whatever.

Dealerships push their brand specific oil because that's where the profits are. They don't make squat on the sled they make their money on the accessories and the upkeep. I can't speak for the industry but MY dealer made 3.5% on my sled. That about covers the tech's hours for dealer inspection and prep.

I buy Polaris oil for three main reasons:
It was engineered for my machine
If there's ever an oil related failure Poo has no argument
I want my dealer to make a living so they'll be there when I need them

True, some dealers are better than others but so are some customers. I don't operate under the assumption that I'm buying from Boris and Natasha...like they're out to get me and I don't begrudge them the $15 a jug they make off of me on oil.

Run what you like but this whole harangue, e v e r y y e a r is tiresome.

If you read my first post I said this was not a run this oil run that oil post.....
It was about the fact that I trust the people on here more than the local dealer.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
When I bought my Pro this year from Frontier Cycles in Laramie, Dave (owner) actually said he went to the conference and they compared all the sled brand oils along with Ams-Oil for a 1000miles and he said Ams-Oil can in 3rd. The Ams-Oil is good stuff, but will build up on your valves faster than most. Also he said run Arctic Cat Oil would even be better. Being a CAT guy, I have 3 gallons on hand, but I don’t plan on running Cat Oil in my Polaris Pro.

I’ve always ran what oil brand goes with what brand of sled…for the most part any fully synthetic oil is good…

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
95% of dealers are no more than used car salesmen. I won't even walk through the door at the local dealership .

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
They can turn away any warranty claim they want if they feel the failure was from not running there oil. They will have a dealer remove oil from oil tank & send it in for testing!! ive seen it.

I don't know about Canada but in the U.S. they have to PROVE the oil caused the failure. What are they testing on the oil? I've never seen oil tested, I have seen fuel tested.

Bottom line, don't let them say you have to run X-oil. They have to prove not just assume the oil caused the failure. Proving is not saying the piston seized it must have been the oil. They have to prove how the oil caused the seizure.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Read the fine print on warranty when you buy the ski-doo it states that if you don't run there oil it is not covered. Seen it happen here but find a good dealer and give him the business and they will go beyond and above what they need to. Hats off to FELKERS MOTORSPORTS

That is illegal, UNLESS they provide the oil free of charge. Ferrari was sued successfully over this same statement of forcing a certain oil on their customer.

Premium Features