• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro or the Contour helmet cam?

GoPro or Contour helmet cam

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Does the GoPro have different mounting options instead of just perched on top of the helmet? I don't like that and I know I'd end up lopping that thing off in the trees. I was thinking mounting on the hood or something.

H
Jan 28, 2004
You can mount the camera anywhere you want. They come with one mounting piece that is flat, and one that is curved to go on a helmet, as well as a few other mounts.

I have the GoPro, and chose it over the contour because of the waterproof case.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Cool. Thank you.

And I apologize to all for the duplicate thread. I had no idea there was one by Centrvlsledder.

Admin can wipe this one if they want.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Neither...there's a new sheriff in town and they're called LIC POV extreme sport video goggles. You watch these go in the very short future. GOING TO BE HUGE IN SLEDDING.
shd_b_1.jpg

check them out at http://www.liquidimageco.com/

Really pretty darn good goggles as well!

We've been prototype testing these for a few weeks on the snow and they are so much fun! Litterly hours of entertainment so far. AWESOME PRODUCT and much easier and more useful for the recreational user then my contour 1080 GPS or my many many pro video buddies that are using the gopro. Simple, no silly mounting mechanisms or questionable alignments...just takes good 720HD at 30fps video right were you LOOK for CHEAP at only a couple hundred bucks. The only true POV on the market. SUPERIOR SOUND mic as well. For $400 1080HD 60fps coming...that should seriously concern the competion! Very exciting...check em out

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Post some vids from that goggle setup Rob. And how much exactly? I tried to look and got dinged for attempting to enter a social networking site.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
We have a few sets left in the proto"test" program but they are going fast. $225 to your door ready to record. Retail is $250 and shipping. Includes 4gb micro SD card and the experience is 1.5 straight running hours per battery charge. Simple two button click system with a sound and color light tell. I can do mine with riding gloves on. You don't miss or mess up the good stuff wondering if it's on or pointing in the right direction. No retarded gadgetry to stick to your brain bucket and fall off through the trees. Lot's of other cool advantages that come with having them on your bean right between your peepers and ready to rock at the click of two buttons. Also takes stills...replays directly to your big screen from the goggle without editing. See your killer climb, drop, deep pow action, crash, or other hilarious manuevers (I got footie of my buddy falling in creek and me flying through a pine tree and going splat) not long after they happen in the comfort of your hotel room. GREAT VACATION REMEMBERING TOOL! My contour system spends most of it's time now in the backpack. Would have never wasted my money on that one had I known about these.

vids coming..this is the first typing on a new computer system and we are getting it all from editing which is time consuming

pm if you want a set

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Holy cow Rob, Why do you always have the great new gadgets. Those are way to cool. Those will be a must have i think.

Just missed ya by a day. Going to Boise on Fri. then riding on Sat. with halfcase.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
This one is a good find! I have had a ball with these in just a very very short time and learning curve. Used my other $2600 system for two years and hardly got anything accomplished. These are just flat easy button stuff. I'm quickly filling up a 500gb portable hard drive with clips. It's going to be even more fun when I learn how to edit more effeciently.

I'm in Boise today...call me when you fly in. Snow is awesome in all directions so your ride should be great. Megs at the ranch...said it snowed all day! Catherine Creek should be epic!

Get some of these goggles and document halfcase's progress...so much better then a few still shots. I can see huge potential for families to really get some enjoyment in all forms of outdoor recreation with this gadget.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Are they for sale now, or still in the proto phase? (Hook me up I will put them through the test, LOL ). Ive had the pov 1 for about a yr. now, I like it but the tree branches mess it up alot. Does not matter where I mount it top, side, front. It gets beat up bad. Looking forward to seeing some footage from this system.

Tell Meg if she wants to ride to trailer on up. We will be at the parking lot about 10:00

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
You get a set of yellows and a set of dark polarized lenses in your kit. Click in and out super easy. I've been wearing the darks pretty much all of the time. I did one set in dark and one in yellow for flat light but really the polarized are kind of the all around go to lense. My one buddy who has several hours on the gogs swears they are his favorite lense. He's "SPONSHURED" by somebody else..woo bad! They also have clears and tear off moto lenses as well. You can also buy an extra battery. I saw somebody was selling a kit with extra stuff for $350 on ebay.

Just like with my other cams I like having two batteries and at least 2 4gig cards. 8 is more then you'll want to look at in a day!@ I also carry two sets of the goggles and hand them out for misc peeps to try. I'm quickly learning all kinds of super valuable lessons on use. That info comes with the goggles:face-icon-small-win.

L

lshobie

Oct 22, 2009
The goggles are cool but limited to taking video with only the goggles on, can't take them off and mount them on the sled - I can see how they would be good for multiple cam setups though - mount a drift hd170 on your sled and your goggles on would give you 2 great angles without having a POV camera in the shot stuck on the helmet.

Do the goggles have a 170 degree view?

I use a DRIFT HD170, just got my second one so next year I'll be taking multiple angle vids. Here is the drift hd170 in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPN53MbQ-fE

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Come on over and ride all this great snow we have. Bring a pair of those new goggles and I will take them off your hands. That is not a bad price for what your getting.

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Loaded for bear! Got all of my demo's loaded plus I'm bringing two new units for you. Come on sunshine!

You guys should see the footage from Dane Ferguson at the freestyle in Jackson! (you will because I'll pop some up when I get time) EPIC It goes on the LIC site first.

I run a contour 1080 gps on the nose facing back and the LIC POV 720hd goggles looking out at true point of view combo. I've gotten my monies worth ten times over catching some fun oop's and cool stuff. They flat out work great and are a darn good goggle as well.

I'm looking forward to downhill mountain bike shots, hot rod jet boat shots, sky diving shots, atv/utv shots, boat surfing shots, go karting shots ect ect...there isn't a fun outdoor extreme activity that I can't get with these things. Waiting for my water ones to show up...they will be super fun as well. Real POV kills the rest for ease and dead on to what you want to capture.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I went with the GoPro. The goggles, while a good idea weren't financially a good investment, considering how many goggles I go thru a year.

Premium Features