• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Pump Gas Install Questions

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
I am waiting on my PG Boondocker kit I ordered from MM. Simple question from those that have done them. Any tricks you would donext time? Anything in the instructions you would do differently? Anything at all that you liked or disliked in the install? Just gearing up and looking for input.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Installation

Do you have a way to get it in the air like a stand about 2.5 off ground.
Remove Skies.
Remove Hood, Bumper and exhaust side fender.
Vacuum out all antifreeze
Then follow step by step instructions.
Couple of notes.
We tap the holes on the exhaust flange of turbo that the pipe bolts on. Trust me if you every have to take your pipe off in mountains you do not want to mess with the nuts.
Make sure when moving wire,s around that they are not going to rub.
Make sure that before you put everything back together you start engine and have oil flowing to turbo.
When you cut you side panels out if use a jigsaw just put flat on plastic should leave about an inch on side to pop rivet vents to.

Call if you have any question.

Thanks Kevin.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I would take the foot rest off the R side and cut it on the bench. It turned out a lot better. Trial and error on the sled ended up taking forever and a lot of paint is now gone off my pipe......

The tunnel dump is the biggest PITA of the whole kit to do. The hole BD suggests is not even close. PM me if you want pics of the actual hole you need. The rest is really simple.

Last edited:
N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Here is a few of the hole I cut for the exhaust. I ended up getting a new foot rest so I could do a better job and this is the best case scenario hole IMO.

Sorry about the size. The "super dooper servers" only allow 80K pictures.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DSC02219.jpg DSC02220.jpg DSC02221.jpg

Last edited:
K
Nov 26, 2007
I would take the foot rest off the R side and cut it on the bench. It turned out a lot better. Trial and error on the sled ended up taking forever and a lot of paint is now gone off my pipe......

The tunnel dump is the biggest PITA of the whole kit to do. The hole BD suggests is not even close. PM me if you want pics of the actual hole you need. The rest is really simple.

I second the fitment, using a hole saw at the lowest point in the footwell still makes it tighter than ole colee's!!!

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
To star with MM, has a good idea with taping the holes in the turbo, next time I have my pipe I will do.

I did not follow the inst. page by page ( jump around a bit to fit my schedule )

Next time I would lay out all the harnesses and get installed as soon as possible.

I will pass this on make sure you clean you pipe, before you weld and after.
I've got a tig but used a mig to weld, tig would be better, the pipe is thin. If you use mig, use some 025 and I would set the welder on spot weld. BigHoe warned me on this so I managed not to burn through the pipe, be careful.

I really enjoyed my install, took my time and did everything perfect as I could. It seems to have paid off, You will like and smile when you finish.

I don't know If you have started, I will help you with anything I can.

logger

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Well I got my kit today. Not bad shipping huh. I dont know if I will get started by the end of week or not but I am going to try and inventory the kit at least. Kevin at MM did a heck of a job packing the parts up and getting it shipped quick. Just had some circumstances with our beloved pet come up so the turb may wait a couple of days is all. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. Lots of things will be done differently based on these replys!

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
If you know an electrician, a hydralic knock out set with a 2.5"(trade size) die works great for making a tight hole through the foot rest without taking it off the sled. You can slide it over and cut more little by little till you end up with a perfect oblong hole to get the pipe through. A hole saw and die grinder still work best for the tunnel exit. Wedge a long socket extension in your suspension to hold up your track when you make that cut.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Installation is key to a happy turbo.

This happens every year we will have some one drive 8-15 hours one way to our shop that can not get their turbo happy. Take you time the little things matter.I just had a SW member leave my shop yesterday with a happy turbo but it took us over 15 hours to re do every thing his dealer had messed up. We ended up replacing his wire harness and completely redoing everything what a mess. Just pay attention to the details were you put you wires and hoses. A good install should look like the factory did it. Do not use the wire splice things and be careful were you get power.

T
Would you care to expand on the "do not use the wire splice things" ??? I will be installing one when my ebc shows and have enjoyed your tips. Also not trying to reinvent the wheel here but why not use the original style pipe exit flange with extra springs???? would help with pipe cracking also wouldn't it??? Thanks...Garry

T
Thanks for the reply MM. On the Pipe I was talking about the other end, where it hooks to the turbo. As far as your connectors I have not had very good luck with the ones you show as they have cut part of the wire and there is no way to keep moisture out (shrink tubing). Is there a better place to get oil pump power than the fuel lead??? Thank You

M
Nov 26, 2001
laramie wy
anyone elses kit not include the bolt in step 2 for the air box hex spacer and the self tappers for the air sensor? (for an m1000) did anyone else get the ebc yet?
just about finished with putting it together

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
The EBC install instructions are complete GARBAGE!!! might as well be written in chinese. Ended up figuring it all out eventually, would have been nice to include these extra wiring harnesses in the original kit. Kinda pi$$ed off to have everything finished and buttoned up only to find out that I have to install two more huge harnesses:( and tear everything back apart . . . NOT COOL BOONDOCKERS! Would have been nice to let us know that the kit is far from complete when we first received it. I was led to beleive that the EBC was "plug and play" Not exactly. Now that I got that out, I must say that this sled ROCKS now :) I am very happy with how this kit performs. My only complaint is the lack of information, the random missing parts in the kit (which they overnighted to me, so it's cool) and the delay in getting us the EBC.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The EBC install instructions are complete GARBAGE!!! might as well be written in chinese. Ended up figuring it all out eventually, would have been nice to include these extra wiring harnesses in the original kit. Kinda pi$$ed off to have everything finished and buttoned up only to find out that I have to install two more huge harnesses:( and tear everything back apart . . . NOT COOL BOONDOCKERS! Would have been nice to let us know that the kit is far from complete when we first received it. I was led to beleive that the EBC was "plug and play" Not exactly. Now that I got that out, I must say that this sled ROCKS now :) I am very happy with how this kit performs. My only complaint is the lack of information, the random missing parts in the kit (which they overnighted to me, so it's cool) and the delay in getting us the EBC.

nice can you tell us more about the first ride, and anything you had to change to make it run right or was it great just the way it came.

Premium Features