• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will I hate my life if....

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Personally if you ride the mountains I wouldn't ride anything shorter than a 162 on an 1100t, especially if you are putting more power to it. You just can't get enough traction on the 1100t with a 153. Depends how you plan on riding it too.

BINGO !!!!!
We are talking about the T1100 4S / not any other -

S/C

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
whats a 153-162 difference in lenght??? is it 6" think it may be less than that...... so you gain what? 1 maybe two more rows of lugs on the ground???

you can argue both sides but its know that 162s float better in the trees and you can take your time and pick better lines if your not that experienced or aggressive. but really a 153 is too long for flat land as it is, so why not get a 162....

You can ride a mountain sled anywhere, flat or deep. You can only ride shorter tracks in the flats.

Anything over a 144 in the flats is going to be too long, so just get the longer track, it will make mountain trips that much better and the little bit of length over a 153 is going to be a non issue in the flats.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
We have a demo 1100t XF High Country. So a 141" 2.25 track. If there is 3' of snow you make it work. More regular snow of 1-2' it's a hoot. It gets ridden at home too so the shorter track is cool. For what you describe you would have a blast on a 153". I would base just as much weight in your decision on what snow conditions you ride regularly as you do with the type of riding you like.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
We have a demo 1100t XF High Country. So a 141" 2.25 track. If there is 3' of snow you make it work. More regular snow of 1-2' it's a hoot. It gets ridden at home too so the shorter track is cool. For what you describe you would have a blast on a 153". I would base just as much weight in your decision on what snow conditions you ride regularly as you do with the type of riding you like.

Thats what seems to be driving my train of thought. We just don't usually get the deeeeeeep stuff on this end of the 'Horns. If I still lived in Laramie, I'd probably be thinking more along the lines of the 162"....there is just more snow down there.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
So no trips to deeper snow? No weekends in Cooke or island park? No Christmas break in Togwatee? And the farmers almanac says the snow is coming. No reason to buy a short sled on a record snow year!! No reason to get stuck 1 more time when it could have been avoided.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It really comes down to experience and whether you can 'tell the difference' between track lengths.

My old boss(sledder for 30+yrs and owner of a Doo shop) couldn't tell the difference in gearing, clutching, sled set-up, track length, etc. He just rode.

I, on the other hand, can tell very minute differences and track length is definitely noticeable for me. So much so that I've shortened both of my current rides from 162's to 150 and 156.(Rev800 and M-Series Cutler 1000) and never wish I had a longer sled.

My friends and I are constantly pushing each other to get thru the trees faster and faster. Sure stopping, assessing, and sneaking around is part of the boondocking game, but the shorter the sled, the harder it is to get momentum and for our group, that's the level we are at right now.

Now take my dad(World Champion Oval Racer) who's been riding the mountains for 40+yrs is a little older than he likes to admit. His skill level is slowly declining year by year as he simply can't muscle a sled around like he used to. Altho he will deny this, I've noticed a growing distance in our skill levels. And by saying that, I mean, there are certain lines he used to be able to nail, and now he finds himself stuck and upside down in a tree. He's all of 5'4" and 150lbs and has never wanted to ride anything longer than a 151"(153-4-5 now) but he seems to be more at home on a 162 nowadays. Simply because he can start and stop and not get into trouble with no momentum. I bug him all the time that it's a crutch to his riding style now.(He hates that)

I do have a Vector Turbo with a 162(bought used) and my plan for that sled is going to have a 156 sticker under it when all is said and done(different chassis altogether)

I have fun on the 162, but not as much as when I'm on the CPC 156 or my 150 Rev.

If I was to buy a current 4s, no matter the mods, I would stick a 156x3 under it as one of the first mods I did. But that's just me.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
So no trips to deeper snow? No weekends in Cooke or island park? No Christmas break in Togwatee? And the farmers almanac says the snow is coming. No reason to buy a short sled on a record snow year!! No reason to get stuck 1 more time when it could have been avoided.

Very few. Cows come out of the hills Jan. 15, then its at least 2-3 hrs of feeding every morning, every day. So generally we just ride up from home at 9 or 10 after we get done with that, unless we're feeling ambitious, then we feed early and trailer to the neighbors' or above Ten Sleep.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
The 162 will climb farther and stick a side hill better then the 153. Does it really matter which one you get? Probably not.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Your signature says "2005 M7", if that is what you are coming from you will have a blast with the power of the 1100t, might struggle with the weight alittle bit, but youll get used to it.
On another note, I think a 153 1100t will be much harder to sell when you want to get out of it. Couldnt give one away here in utah, maybe the midwest.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, I've been ridin' the ol' M7 for a lot of years now, but get to spend some time on my buddies' TM8 on occasion. Also I'm probably a bigger guy than what generally rides an M7; ~190lb without gear/pack, so I'm definitely ok with the weight increase to get the power.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Last year I switched from a 2010 M8 153. I too was concerned about the 163 track on my new 1100 turbo. After learning the frame and engine, I feel the 163 is a must for that sled. I would not switch back to a 153. The 163 helps with power delivery and flotation of the heavy sled. I ride about 1000 miles a year in the Vail Colorado area, usually deep snow around 10,000ft.

Hope this helps.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Well I picked up a 153" Guess I'll find out if I think its enough or not. Now just need to swap out the 2.25" for a 2.6".....

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Traction is fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Spinning sucks....... More power -more track, it's that simple. My '12 T-1,100 with the 163'' needs more track. No dang way less.
At least one giving you advice for the shorter, is driving a little 800. I'd have that too for an 800 stocker.
Turning in the trees is easier with more floatation. You can slow down , pick a line and accelerate at will. Do not get a turbo with a short track.

Owen

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Whats the deal with the drive train?

If the sled is kept stock. It's not bad (if you don't have a belt blower) Start adding hp=second mortgage! First you buy a team secondary, then you start with the evo reinforcements. You start with stage 1. Then end up adding a stage for every belt blown untill you've done it all. Clutch, jack shaft, hyvo gears and chain (or belt drive), tcl delete, motor mounts. A lot of guys have never has a problem, a lot of guys have has a lot of problems. Kind of expensive Russian roulette.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Update for this thread. I've got about 250 miles on this bad boy now. Love it. The good first:

Love the power and torque, still just stock and have more than enough power to do what I do most of the time. I can't imagine a super chute, it'd yank my arms off. I like the 153" I can see where a 162" might help in the side hill, but for the most part, throttle control seems to keep me where I need to be. Haven't gotten into too many places yet where I needed the extra track I don't think, most of my stucks have been "bouncing off tree" induced. I also like the chassis better than the M, I do more riding with legs on both side of the seat instead of wrong foot forward now, I was always wrong foot forward on my M.

Oh and I like the horizontal steering, rode my buddies supercharged 800 for a minute the other day, the vert was ok with that light front end, but I seem to need to keep my weight further back on the 1100 and I think the laydown steering helps with that. Still might swap the vert steering in just to try it, but I really don't think I'll like it, I can't ride this beast with my feet right smack dab in the footwells. But as soon as my feet get further back on the boards I just look where I want to go and it goes.

Have a few minor complaints, such as the nose diving hard when falling out of a single track I'm trying to follow in a tight spot. Going to swap some USI X2's off my M7 onto this thing and see if that helps.

Also why this thing didn't come with a Four Stroke Solutions ROV from the factory is beyond comprehension. I end up sideways and/or upside down way too much to not have one.

Also installed an EVO BRV and IC fan. The fan is LOUD, but man does it move air, and the BRV is nicer than stock, although I don't have enough time on it yet to know if it was really necessary or not.

Premium Features