• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ceramic Coating or Header Wrap?

9500blizzard

Dec 13, 2007
BC
I've been thinking about ceramic coating my pipe or wraping it with header wrap. What works the best and is there any performance gain or loss? Are there any issues of the pipe cracking like the y-pipe? Let me know what you think, thanks for your help:beer;

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Nothing looks badder than a wrapped pipe IMO. Tried doing my own years ago, and it was harder than I expected. Sure held the heat in though.

Best pipe wrap I've ever seen BAR NONE was in MMSports shop. Not sure who's doing it for him but it was SICK.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
That's funny I got a speedwerx pipe wrapped by mm sports that is mint... Looks awesome, my mechanic buddy saw it and couldn't believe how nice of a job was done on it... I guess he tried to do one last year that turned into an absolute mess...

It looks like they might coat it with something after or maybe wrap it with coated sticky wrap???

I think the wrap keeps more heat in aswell...

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
The one I saw at MM Sports shop was jet black and I kept going back to look at it. Now that I know it can be done to that level, I'll measure every one I see to that.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
I have a bd turbo pipe thats coated looked sweet, so I wrapped it up and it looks better imo. anyone that knows anything will think it looks better too, plus it sure kept the heat in the pipe and I could richen my fuel numbers up alot. and one thing that was nice is when my gloves iced up the other day and were rock hard I could just grab the pipe and warm up without melting them.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
You can buy a hitemp black silicone spray you "paint" the wrap with after you install. It helps keep the moisture out and lessen the pipe rust. I have also recently seen header wrap that comes black.

The nice thing about header wrap is it doesn't get as hot on the surface as a coated pipe. Less burns and melted plastic.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
Pipe wrap helped the response and the sound of the turbos I have built. However, I have yet to find a good answer for all the fine "dust" that is created in the engine compartment, which no doubt can get sucked into the intake. Does anyone have a good answer for this that they have used?
BB

J
Nov 27, 2007
Answer to the dust....

As for the dust.... try the special heat tape spray paint that coats the wrap after it has dried, shrunk, and cured. It is 2000 deg rated and seems to hold all the fibers together. I really am pleased at the way mine is lasting.

Premium Features