• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 850 belt problem

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
You run a different belt in your SxS than a sled obviously, but what temp do you feel is the limit for the belt? Is there some consensus in the SxS community about what is the maximum allowable belt temp?
I am not sure why or where i read it, or if it is even accurate, but we try and keep it below 220,

Generally it is around 140-180 until we are running in snow or something of the sort.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Belt Temperature Limits (belt death sentence temps)
"Belt temperatures I've personally measured on 163's and 154's
The 288, can take up to 195 degrees, at 200 the chord will start to work its way out.
The 166 / 391 can take up to 185 degrees, at 190 the chord will start to work its way out.
The 383 can't take any heat, it just explodes when run hard after 160~180 degrees."

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Did a 100 second wot pull in four feet of fresh this last week, once I stoped I removed covers and used temp gun to check temps, primary was at 104/230f at top of primary, secondary was 73c.. Could of cooked wpeggs on it for sure

Found out latter belt was slipping in secondary.. Needs heavier spring

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
My question is for guys that have changed clutching using a full kit (Roosterbuilt, DJ, SHR) have you seen any belt failures ? Did you have a belt eater and the clutch kit solve that issue ?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I bought a very low miles used 17 and had SHR kit installed before I ever rode it. Only two trips on it, with a little over 500 miles on same belt. But I haven’t been lucky enough to ride in deep powder. Sled runs great thou, and is the best sled I ever owned.

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
3 2017 850s, 1 2018 850.
All still on OEM Belts.
Still waiting to blow my first belt.

Have SIX spare belts I have NEVER touched.

Taking all of them to BC with me in 2 weeks for the SnoWest Forum Ride.
Maybe the snow up north is WILDLY different than what we have here in the Tetons and I will suddenly start blowing multiple belts per day.

Will be MIGHTY INTERESTED to see if that actually happens or not.

Guys that ride hard are having issues guys that don’t are happy. I predict you will have no trouble with belts on your Canadian ride. Talked to more than one 850 rider that wishes there sled was as reliable and as easy on belts as there XM.
I

D

Drifter

Dec 16, 2007
This is misleading.

You can ride as hard as you want and never blow a belt, you just have to stop and let the belt and clutches cool accordingly.

Who wants to stop and let your belt cool every 5 min??????? You just made my point.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
My dealer just started a case file on my 17 850 for a blown belt, I blew the new 531 belt with only 200 Kms on it and yes I did break it in properly ! Anyways my dealer has had another 18 850 that he’s working on too because it seems that the belt actually might be hitting the belt guard and that would explain why the belt is tearing on the top !

Service manager has been great too deal with and yes he says BRP knows there is a issue here and they are looking in to it ! Only took them two years lol. Dealer said it all comes down to the spring in the secondary and that it not back shifting right and it’s causing slack on the belt which causes the belt to hit the belt guard ! If that makes sense! I’m no clutch guru !
And yes I know they still produce way too much heat which is another reason they blow !

Anyways I’m supposed to hear back later next week !

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Who wants to stop and let your belt cool every 5 min??????? You just made my point.

5 minutes? I don't ride anywhere near that long without stopping to let my clutches cool :)

People that blow lots of belts might ride "harder" than those who don't, or...

When I'm 20 miles out in the hills I treat my sled like my life depends on it, because for the most part that is the truth. If you want to ride way back into the hills and flog your sled till it breaks, thats great, and maybe your sled breaking gives you the moral upper hand on Skidoo, but the moral upper hand is meaningless if you are freezing to death in the hills because you operated your machine poorly and it left you stranded as a result.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
5 minutes? I don't ride anywhere near that long without stopping to let my clutches cool :)

People that blow lots of belts might ride "harder" than those who don't, or...

When I'm 20 miles out in the hills I treat my sled like my life depends on it, because for the most part that is the truth. If you want to ride way back into the hills and flog your sled till it breaks, thats great, and maybe your sled breaking gives you the moral upper hand on Skidoo, but the moral upper hand is meaningless if you are freezing to death in the hills because you operated your machine poorly and it left you stranded as a result.

Don't think he's saying ride your sled 20 miles out and try to break your junk. Were talking about doos pathetic clutching on there new sleds that they cant keep a belt in. When I'm out riding I'm not thinking i should go easy on my sled i might hurt it. I'm out having the time of my life. But to each there own some people love watching birds in the backcountry too.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Bla ba bla ba bla ba bla ba bla oh and did I mention bla ba bla ba bla ba bla ba bla. It's a good thing you guys can't ride your girlfriend's as hard as your sleds or you'd be single.:juggle:

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Secondary spring is to week from doo, causing slipping in secondary, replace spring to black one, get a 46 helix add a little weight to pivot bolts and love life..belt runs 100f cooler

Doo had two years to solve problem and still not right.. Little embarrassing to say the least..

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Secondary spring is to week from doo, causing slipping in secondary, replace spring to black one, get a 46 helix add a little weight to pivot bolts and love life..belt runs 100f cooler

Doo had two years to solve problem and still not right.. Little embarrassing to say the least..

My dealer pretty much figures the same thing ! Why can’t BRP just recall the spring and helix and save a lot of headaches !!

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Now this guy gives me a good laugh.

also got another buddy who is still on his 1st belt .. close to 1200 miles .. hasn't done a single thing to his sled other than add gas and oil .. probably hasnt even taken off his clutch cover once since picking up his sled from the dealership

rides the same mountains we all do here on the coast of BC ... he can't blow a belt !

Premium Features