• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

All-new Yamaha Genesis 998 Turbo engine

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lZAZSeq7ea8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So one of the first comments I have heard from a rider is that the turbo doesn't HIT all at once. It behaves more like a constant surge across the whole power band.

Jago

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Did not catch what the hp or weight relative to the 1049CC engine is? Anyone found out yet? The advanced turbocharge design does appear preserve the engines excellent linear power and torque.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
It looks like a great power plant, too bad its come to market 8-10 years too late, that ship has sailed.

M5

Not sure what you mean by this. I know Yamaha has gained a lot of ground in the east with their turbo promotions on the viper. This makes it a lot easier for anyone who wants a Yamaha turbo with warranty.

If you would, could you please tell us where Yamaha should be exactly?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Well around here you cant give a turbo Yamaha away, guys just don't want them anymore, I wish you could because I still have one left, thank god I moved my Nypex when I did. I've been a die hard 4 stroke guy since day 1 but the heyday of chute climbing power has passed. Most guys that I know are both getting older and spending way less time on the point and shoot and more time on technical riding. Nobody wants a heavy sled that wears you out anymore, guys want a light sled with decent power and a 3 year warranty. I've been riding these turbo things for over 10 years and you can't hide the weight.

Enter the new Doo.

All the brands have been making huge strides in providing nimble lightweight 2 stroke sleds, all except Yamaha who insist on bringing a fatty to the spring party, year after year. If they had built this motor in 2008 they couldn't have kept them in stock during the heyday of the 4 stroke turbo. I feel for the guys who bought Vipers because your resale just tanked. A guy can buy 3 fully tricked out used Yamaha turbos for the price of a new Sidewinder. They will sell some but I just don't see spending the money on one when I can buy a Doo. That's JMO I'm sure lots of guys disagree, frankly I really don't care, LOL.

I have no idea what the flatlanders want so there's that market.

M5

D
Oct 26, 2009
This thing is so much more advanced than the old Apex was. its a really cool machine. Lightweight 2 strokes have always been around.
They are great machines but they have their problems also. Tree riding seems to be the thing but not all people want to go bash a stump or strip down a machine to roll it over again and again. I have ridden my whole life in southeast Idaho and its fun to watch the different ridding styles. I have never seen machines that are better than they are now. 2 stroke or 4 stroke they have a little different purpose but they are tons better than anything was 10 years ago.
2 strokes will never have the durability of a 4 stroke and 4 strokes will never weight the same as a 2 stroke. Go ride and have fun

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
You know that saying, "Is the cup half full, or half empty?" I feel like the same thing applies here...Yamaha is either 8-10 years too late...or 8-10 years too early, just depends on where you think sleds will be in the future compared to where they are now.
face-icon-small-happy.gif

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I live in Colorado and i never climb chutes.....but i need a turbo badly to overcome the high altitude when riding in 4 feet of fluffy powder. most places we unload at 10,000 feet and go up from there. That is a huge penalty. i cant ride a N/A sled there because they dont make any power. and i'm not going down the 2 stroke turbo road. I do wish the sled was lighter, but having a turbo is a must. I dont think yamaha will ever build something light like polaris, its just not in their DNA. The yamaha engineers would not be able to sleep at night building something that "thin". I have found that when riding in light snow its much easier to maneuver a heavier sled than it would be in cascade concrete or sierra cement. So it really depends on the type of snow you are riding also. I too feel sorry for the guys that bought Vipers because their value just went way down.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
If they came out with it in the 90's the pro would never been developed. If it wasn't for skidoo and there ride forward design the dragon and m8 would still be the bomb. You can go on and say that for anything. Yes, yamaha is slow at change but this is a big move for them and it will help them sale more mountain sleds. Flat landers will love them too.
4 stroke turbos aren't just for point and shoot. Technical Riding, as you mentioned, doesn't take physical strength but rather riding technics. I ride mainly in the trees side-hilling and it takes little effort. Body positioning is the most important and time consuming technic to learn. Turbos add another learning curve but once mastered opens up another element of riding. The only time I notice weight is when I'm stuck.
I ride a lot of different places and haven't seen any reason to leave my 4s for a 2s. Some of these places are; Whistler, Island Park, Logan, Seeley Lake, Half Way, Hoodoo, Bend, Priest Lake, St Helens, Hood, Park City, Adams, Tolgate, McCall and even Chili. All of them provide different snow conditions and terrain. I've been on a turbo for 6 years now and will never go without. I've also rode other sleds and my biggest complaint about them is the lack of power. The higher you ride means the more horse power you lose, decreasing the HP-WEIGHT ratio of your sled. The sidewinder elimates that problem and to add HP is cheaper than before, further increasing HP-WEIGHT ratio without compromising reliability.
Weight is important but I personal think it's over rated. When I'm out riding I hear the question, "how much does your sled weigh". I hear it a lot and just about from everyone, even from people that don't know how to ride. I've come to the conclusion that it's the most important factor for selling sleds but the least utilized due too inexperience of the rider. When asked the question about the weight of my sled I tell people 800 lbs and then add,"I think it needs another 50 lbs to make it ride better.
Don't expect to get any money out of a highly modified sled, especially from a turbo sled. It doesn't matter if it's a 4s or 2s, and the old the sled the less you can get.

Well around here you cant give a turbo Yamaha away, guys just don't want them anymore, I wish you could because I still have one left, thank god I moved my Nypex when I did. I've been a die hard 4 stroke guy since day 1 but the heyday of chute climbing power has passed. Most guys that I know are both getting older and spending way less time on the point and shoot and more time on technical riding. Nobody wants a heavy sled that wears you out anymore, guys want a light sled with decent power and a 3 year warranty. I've been riding these turbo things for over 10 years and you can't hide the weight.

Enter the new Doo.

All the brands have been making huge strides in providing nimble lightweight 2 stroke sleds, all except Yamaha who insist on bringing a fatty to the spring party, year after year. If they had built this motor in 2008 they couldn't have kept them in stock during the heyday of the 4 stroke turbo. I feel for the guys who bought Vipers because your resale just tanked. A guy can buy 3 fully tricked out used Yamaha turbos for the price of a new Sidewinder. They will sell some but I just don't see spending the money on one when I can buy a Doo. That's JMO I'm sure lots of guys disagree, frankly I really don't care, LOL.

I have no idea what the flatlanders want so there's that market.

M5

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
So my question is, does that beautiful cast header fit the 1049 triple?! Because that would be mint if it did, short smooth flowing header and the durability of cast, and And a ton of man hours saved for trial and error building my own

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was really hoping this was going to turn out to be a great engine.
But I will be honest, I NEVER imagined they would release a Dyno tested 204HP STOCK engine.

That is nothing short of FABULOUS!

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
In case anybody wanted to know turbos are made by IHI,they build turbos for Subaru & lb7 duramaxs + lots of heavy machinery.
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/product.htm

It was an ihi in the Cat 1100 as well. I was told by the Cat 4s division that it is even the same cartridge as the ihi on the 1100. If that's the case Cat aftermarket guys are very familiar with that turbo.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Christopher, where did you see that number, 204hp? Is that straight from the crate? Never mind I found it.

I was really hoping this was going to turn out to be a great engine.
But I will be honest, I NEVER imagined they would release a Dyno tested 204HP STOCK engine.

That is nothing short of FABULOUS!

Last edited:
Premium Features