• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about jumping ship

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Most people that still ride Nytros do so because they can't give them away.:face-icon-small-ton

Just sold my 09 MT1000 with an OVS tial kit on it, have a 04 rev 800 I never ride(never really like the way the ol revs handled) and just bought a 08 XP with some nice upgrades on it....but I bet I'll still be on my Nytro more....I won't get rid of because...why? it does everything I want it to do.

Only sled I haven't owned is a Polaris, and when I do buy one, it will be a 120, because I won't buy a $12000 that after a decade still have problems keeping an engine together. Too bad, cause I hear they have a good chassis! lol..:face-icon-small-hap

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
X 1000! .....when you own a Yamaha your credit card take

That's funny you say that about Yamaha. I think an unbiased person knows that snowmobiling in general is expensive and it depends on the type of riding you do. If you take risks it is going to cost you. If a snowmobile hits a tree is it only yamaha sleds that will cost a lot fix. On average a snowmobile will cost a person $5.00/mile. That is a low ball figure too. If you look at fuel, transportation, gear, accessories and whatever else you want for your time sledding. The comment made is biased that is usually seen from an uneducated person.

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Local dealer has a 2015 T3 174 with a 860 big bore. Thinking about trading my Turbo Viper straight across for it. Ive rode Yamaha most of my life and due to the headaches and poor quality of the Viper my biggest concern, is my blue riding gear wont look so hot on a skidoo.

I hate the track (cant stop/slow down going down hill) I hate the skis (not enough float) I dislike the brake lever and throttle. Im pretty sure Ive spent more on oil then my 2 stroke buddies so far this year. The list keeps going but it sure does look sweet.

Thoughts?

I did it and I'm VERY..... I mean VERY VERY VERY VERY HAPPY that I jumped from Yamaha's ship (that's a weight joke BTW)
Really the only thing I miss is the power my TNytro had but other than that it's been golden. You won't look back if you jump I promise.... I was Yamaha loud & proud for 18yrs & frankly tired of promises that NEVER delivered. It's always next year & maybe's & if's. Yamaha will NEVER get me back... Unless they improve a lot.
And last it comes down to dealer support, I've got a Yamaha dealer in my back yard & they S*CK, closes good dealer is 8hrs from me & frankly my time is worth more than that!

Last edited:

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
A lot of the things you mentioned are fixable. I won't ride a skido simply because I can't continue to fix broken bulkheads, or worry about minor bs continuing to wreck my day, granted I haven't ride a 174 T3 but the xp belt, computer, and nun woes did me in on skidoo. Still have the apex and love it for the bullet proof rocketship it is. Although yes it's for sale with a McXpres turbo kit and I'll lose my *** on it but if you build a sled to any extent that's bound to happen

BTW your comparison sucks.... XP to the T3 is like comparing the phazer to a custom Viper. Kinda rotten apples to fresh oranges type of thing there! Just sayin

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
I'm still trying to figure out why the other brand riders come to are Yamaha page and tell us are sleds are junk and are heavy??? I honestly would be surprised if you seen us in your page and if you did you would see us trying to tell you how much better are sleds are then yours. Why don't you talk to your little buddy's about how BA your sleds are!! We really don't care!!

D
Nov 14, 2013
Local dealer has a 2015 T3 174 with a 860 big bore. Thinking about trading my Turbo Viper straight across for it. Ive rode Yamaha most of my life and due to the headaches and poor quality of the Viper my biggest concern, is my blue riding gear wont look so hot on a skidoo.

I hate the track (cant stop/slow down going down hill) I hate the skis (not enough float) I dislike the brake lever and throttle. Im pretty sure Ive spent more on oil then my 2 stroke buddies so far this year. The list keeps going but it sure does look sweet.

Thoughts?

just throw lots of money at it! it will get better, just ask the yammi guys.....

D
Nov 14, 2013
I'm still trying to figure out why the other brand riders come to are Yamaha page and tell us are sleds are junk and are heavy??? I honestly would be surprised if you seen us in your page and if you did you would see us trying to tell you how much better are sleds are then yours. Why don't you talk to your little buddy's about how BA your sleds are!! We really don't care!!

try being a poo rider, the ski donts have an entire thread bashing the new axys in their forum. It has more pages than the axys ride reports.....

its all in good fun, and in general at least from myself out of genuine concern, we have all been there, we feel your pain, we are just trying to show you the way out.....:face-icon-small-ton

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have been on Yamaha since I was 8 years old and my dad bought me a 1979 ET250. Prior to that I had a kitty cat - so I guess technically I am a Cat to Yamaha convert.

I really like the 4 stroke motors, but they need to build something from the factory that competes/beats the 800 smokers. I like my 2012 MPI 190 T-Nytro, but unless they come to the table with something better then the Viper I will be shopping around when I decide to upgrade in a year or two.

I have ridden the MPI turbo Viper and agree it is a step up from my sled, but it is not worth the $$$ to me to upgrade (based on riding both sleds on the same day in the same conditions). A lot of the issues I had with the stock Nytro I have addressed (air frame boards, steering post mod, forward a-arms, and a rotopax gas tank) are fixed on the Viper - so maybe my comparison isn't valid for others, but in my situation I didn't see a reason to take a $5,000 bath to get into the Cat chassis.

Corporate Yamaha's stubborness and conservatism is killing them in the mountain sled market IMO. Yamaha is at least 5 years behind everyone else in chassis development. They would never allow this to happen in the MX bike, street bike, ATV, or any other area where they compete with the other Japanese manufacturers. God I wish Honda would have released a sled.....

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
just throw lots of money at it! it will get better, just ask the yammi guys.....

You can also ask chris burandt, chris brown, sahen skinner and all the other guy that are paid to ride polaris how much they throw at theirs. Over $45,000.00 for burandt personal sled that he will only ride one season. That's not including replacement parts like broken a arms, bent bumpers, damaged tunnel and bulk head and also rebuilt engine. Sure they say you can ride a stock sled than why don't they?

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
BTW your comparison sucks.... XP to the T3 is like comparing the phazer to a custom Viper. Kinda rotten apples to fresh oranges type of thing there! Just sayin

I agree! My '09 XP has been one of the most reliable, fun to ride, sled to date. I haven't rode the new T3, but from guys in our group that do have them, they look like a home run hit!!

There is a couple things that really piss me off about Doo. First, when I snow check a sled, I want it as soon as possible in the fall to start customizing it. Yet, it always seems to be the last delivered to the dealer!! Some would argue all brands do that, to me they are all at fault there. Second, every time within 2 months they are offering $2000-2500 rebates on current model sleds. That just rubs me the wrong way! Next time I'm buying off the dealer showroom instead of snow checking!

Honestly, my Viper has been a love/hate from the start. Leaking oil, improper clutching (dealer fault), under boosting, rough handling. MPI fixed the oil issue, I fixed the clutching issues (Heavy Hitters), I fixed the boost issue (Boost controller and gauge), I fixed the handling issues (ProMotion and Kiss Coupler). From here on out, the future looks bright to me :) Oh ya, hate that POS track that came on it, will upgrade during to summer!

Last edited:
S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I personal like the Powerclaw track. I have the 2.6", I wish it was 3.0". I had a Challenger extreme and really didn't like it. I also had a Peak 2.5, it trenches real good. I think tracks are a personal thing, it hard to say ones better than another.

Back to the original topic of this thread. Go ahead switch sleds. Lets us know when you ready to switch underwear brands too.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
try being a poo rider, the ski donts have an entire thread bashing the new axys in their forum. It has more pages than the axys ride reports.....

its all in good fun, and in general at least from myself out of genuine concern, we have all been there, we feel your pain, we are just trying to show you the way out.....:face-icon-small-ton

I agree its all in good fun. When there is no snow and work is slow due to Obama it's fun to turn to the forums to read pure biased bullsh$$. Everyone on snowest is a professional rider and are expects on everything snowmobile. I get on the poo site for fun because they are full of it there. I could put a polaris decal on a new Yamaha and they would say how good it is, yet because it has a Yamaha decal it's a heavy piece of crap. I owe a pro and believe it's a great sled but I prefer riding my mcx 270 viper. The feel of power can't be replaced. I love being the only person out in the snow on a yamaha. People's expectations are low for you so when you show them up it's an awesome feeling? Remember I'm a professional rider like everyone else reading this.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I personal like the Powerclaw track. I have the 2.6", I wish it was 3.0". I had a Challenger extreme and really didn't like it. I also had a Peak 2.5, it trenches real good. I think tracks are a personal thing, it hard to say ones better than another.

Back to the original topic of this thread. Go ahead switch sleds. Lets us know when you ready to switch underwear brands too.

Yes, it is probably a personal thing. I think if you have a firmer more well setup snow, the PC really hooks up. We seem to have a lighter fluffier snow, and I can say from first hand experience the CE and X3 work better in our snow conditions. Even the Poo boys are changing their Pro's out to the Camo track.

Nobody will follow me down the trail, because this PC flings such a roost! Its even worse when you have your ice scratchers down. Oh well...

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You can also ask chris burandt, chris brown, sahen skinner and all the other guy that are paid to ride polaris how much they throw at theirs. Over $45,000.00 for burandt personal sled that he will only ride one season. That's not including replacement parts like broken a arms, bent bumpers, damaged tunnel and bulk head and also rebuilt engine. Sure they say you can ride a stock sled than why don't they?

Would you ride a stock sled if you had sponsored parts from all the top companies, and your full-time job was to promote parts, promote sleds, ride sleds, test parts, install parts, etc, etc? Hell no, any of us would do the same thing.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Don't worry, they do it in the other brand forums too.

S

Suprx125

Dec 21, 2012
Bash on Yamaha's all you want, its ok. My Nytro will tow you guys out when your Poo/Doo cranks or pistons take a dump at 2500 miles. :face-icon-small-ton

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Would you ride a stock sled if you had sponsored parts from all the top companies, and your full-time job was to promote parts, promote sleds, ride sleds, test parts, install parts, etc, etc? Hell no, any of us would do the same thing.[/QUOTE

I agree. I would ride any sled out there is it was free and I had all the aftermarket companies giving me parts, no doubt. These riders would still modify there sleds even if they didn't get parts for free. If I had to chose one sled with no aftermarket parts it would be Ski Doo as of today. For aftermarket parts hands down Yamaha. For the most part put me on your sled and I'll show you how to ride it. Remember this is a forum and I can be as cool as I want.

Premium Features