• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something monumental for XP Riders IMO - New Release

L
May 15, 2009
No worries on my end. I figured people would like to see the new kit as soon as possible, pricing is a week out. I'm not going disagree with your logic, but will add that the kit isn't just narrowing but pushing the spindles forward. Thats why I said they didn't compare. Its an option but not for everyone.

Thanks and look forward to seeing pricing.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Thanks and look forward to seeing pricing.

I knew that there would be some aggravated XP owners that didn't ride them just fine that's why I put "IMO" in the first post.

Everyone is different and I think those that have issues out number those that don't hence the kit from Skinz.

Certainly not knocking the Ski Doo.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There's not a problem with the way the XP handles.....that's why Doo themselves make an extremely popular kit to improve the handling. Why bash the guy for giving info on a new product that makes a lot of sense?

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Good looking kit. I know a lot of peeps that are less aggressive riders that will be very happy with parts that make it easier to lay the sled over. Thanks for clearing up the reason for the kit.

Stones

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I've got the skinz kit on my Nytro, if you look at the side profile of a Nytro mtx suspension you'll see that the shock travels almost vertical (Closer to vertical than the pro/pro-climb).

Pictures of Nytro front suspension: <- most vertical
attachment.php

Pictures of Pro-RMK front suspension: < - "In the middle"
attachment.php

Pictures of Pro-Climb front suspension:< - Most horizontal
attachment.php

What's the highest selling snowmobile of any segment right now? 155" Pro-Rmk <- it's cool that it's a Mountain sled

What's the pro rmk's claim to fame? Sidehilling/tree-riding, things that Nytro's and XP's always have had a bad reputation for.

-Seems like a good business decision to me if they have hired enough help to deliver their products this year. All I can say is if you feel you might buy one of these in the future get your name on it quick, I bet you'll see it before the snow flies at the latest.

Skinz is changing the front suspension geometry on the XP and Nytro, mirroring the angles of the pro/pro-climb designs. I'm sure there is more going on in the background but I feel this is what's pushing the SPG Concept suspension.

Does it make a difference? It is my opinion that it does, I could go off on how good my skill is here but I'll refrain :) After 1k+ mountain miles on my SPG front end I can tell that it's changed how my sled handles. Feels like it took a big step in the right direction. I can park my sled on a sidehill and it will just sit there now, where before it wanted to roll until it was level. If they were able to make my sled handle well by changing the geometry, I have high hopes for the XP kits. I wonder if with these geometry changes, going to such a narrow front end (36") will still be necessary?

I'm interested in why they aren't offering the kit without the shocks? What about people that have high dollar shocks with spherical bearings already? Are they having to deal with such a drastic angle that regular spherical bearings won't work?

2012_fx_nytro_mtx_162_blue-1.jpg skidoo-925-xp.jpg 800_pro_rmk_163_p12.jpg m_800_snopro_ltd_blkwshad.jpg

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
The a-arms are on the same sled, the same width, and made by two different companies. That makes the two comparable. I'm not one to judge a product but give some specific details on the A-arms before you say they are not comparable. Don't know about anyone else but if I were to build or sell a product I would think they are the best and say they are the best but that doesn't mean that they are.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
The a-arms are on the same sled, the same width, and made by two different companies. That makes the two comparable. I'm not one to judge a product but give some specific details on the A-arms before you say they are not comparable. Don't know about anyone else but if I were to build or sell a product I would think they are the best and say they are the best but that doesn't mean that they are.

This was a sneak peek, not a full detailed release as my original post said. Guys will jump on anyone or anything just to raise the roof a little.

Sorry I posted guys, next time I'll wait until I have every detail before posting.

The Ski Doo XP narrow kit (I'm guessing this is what you're talking about) fits on the XP and makes the ski stance more narrow.

The Ski Doo XP Concept Kit (guessing this is what you're "comparing" the other too) fits the XP and makes the ski stance the same stance ( I believe ) as the Ski Doo kit but pushes the spindles forward.

They are both a-arm kits that fit the Ski Doo XP. Sorry for my poor choice of words.

To answer the question regarding the shocks I was told they were to many shock options that caused all sorts of issues with the new geometry.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
It's not like I'm not interested in these A-arms but wouldn't trade my Exit's for Fox's.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if anybody knows why.how does moving spindles forward help in the powder.?

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I think trying to make an XP handle like a pro is a step backwards. Skidoo has been there and done that when they released the rev in 2004. Yeah the XPs require a little more rider input..... but in my humble opinion, I think you can get alot more out of them. And no doubt someone is going to come on here and mention the name burandt or rasmussan. Put them on an XP and see what happens. They probably ride one in secret when the cameras arent rolling. Look at the Hicks boys. Sponsored a blinged out turboed pro and they still go and buy 2 freerides out of their own pockets! That says something.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I believe that by moving the spindle /skimount location forward it allows the use of countersteer type turn initiation, which is what all sleds are being asked to do in todays riding styles. The stock xp (IMHO) is horrible at this manuver. For instance when I am going downhill in soft snow on an off camber I like a sled to be able to go into a countersteer carve for control and to shed speed. The xp feels like you have to fight the shi$ out of it and it never really locks in the hill right. By moving the ski mounts forward the ski is able to cut in under the top of the snow and hold a proper countersteer. I dont know that this makes any sense but that is what it feels like to me. I am still interested in the slp spindles, but cant seem to find anyone who has tried them??? PS above someone mentioned the xrs and its wide front end, I rode one of those back to back with x package summit and the combo of the wider front end, the better shocks and the steering post beeing forward 2" really made it handle way better than the summit in mtn. conditions. IMHO

L
Jun 8, 2011
I think trying to make an XP handle like a pro is a step backwards. Skidoo has been there and done that when they released the rev in 2004. Yeah the XPs require a little more rider input..... but in my humble opinion, I think you can get alot more out of them. And no doubt someone is going to come on here and mention the name burandt or rasmussan. Put them on an XP and see what happens. They probably ride one in secret when the cameras arent rolling. Look at the Hicks boys. Sponsored a blinged out turboed pro and they still go and buy 2 freerides out of their own pockets! That says something.

i was thinking the same thing about those guys lol. i myself cant ride an xp, wanna get a a 137 or a 146 in the next couple years though, they just run so damn clean. and look so damn good. wish they made a verticle steering kit for the xp and id go trade my cat in tomorrow

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i know in the pow a 154 dont have any problems imo.maybe the 162s are harder to booondock.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Paul,

What is Skinz outfitting this front end with for ball joints? I know many people seemed to have issues with th ball joints on the front end of the Nytro kits that left a number of people SOL on weekend trips. I hope they have addressed this.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
Paul,

What is Skinz outfitting this front end with for ball joints? I know many people seemed to have issues with th ball joints on the front end of the Nytro kits that left a number of people SOL on weekend trips. I hope they have addressed this.

The problem was solved on the Nytro's by switching suppliers. Some that were hosed on weekend trips were offered the new replacements long in advance which they declined. Either way the problem wasn't a design issue but a manufacturing issue.

Premium Features