• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Perks Balancing

D
Jan 11, 2011
I just rode my 2011 800 etec summit for he first time with perks spin balancing kit installed on it
"WOW" engine is amazingly smooth now no vibration in the running boards (air Frames) or handle bars
there's a slight vibe as engine is coming off of idle 1800 to 2500 but not bad at all Less than stock
once sled is moving its really smooth, watching the clutch when its running it doesn,t dance around anymore its very concentric
switched back and forth between mine and my buddy's 2010 summit x night and day difference his vibrated almost the same as mine before
I can pull 2 more grams of weight in the primary on the same clicker # just from the balancing & install was Straight forward about 3 Hrs
This is the Real deal !!! best $350 ive spent on my sled

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
perks

I haven't really gotten to ride mine yet but I did the crank and clutch balancing too. Just running in the garage it seemed very improved with less vibration and night and day difference once it gets to about 2300 rpms. Have you gotten a chance to see if there was as big as a mph as he claims?

D
Jan 11, 2011
never really got a chance to check top mph
but like i said i did have to add 2 grams of weight to maintain rpm in the same clicker so roughly a 400 rpm increase

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
perk

Oh okay, well I don't know what elevation your at but at home for me I already run a full pin with my clicker on 3 or 4 I don't remember for sure. I suppose that might affect my normal habbit of just hollowing them when I go out west won't it?

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
perks

We had the crank balancing kit done also. Its like an External pie weight added behind the recoil set and aligned with the cluch balancing. Go to Perksbalance.com easy kit to install and he gives you very detailed instructions and all the stuff you need to do it.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Not that I am doubting the benefits of balancing *anything* but it baffles me why BRP wouldn't do it if there was that kind of gains in power and fuel mileage as promised.

7perk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
:face-icon-small-ton We balanced a 2012 Etec clutch today and the BRP alignment marks were off 45 degrees from the unbalance area on the front end of the sheave. My question is what are they up to and the clutch was out of balance 13 grams on the front end and 3 grams on the back side?
The customer lined up the marks and even indexed the clutch several times and it didn't take out the shake.
Again I'll tell you the CRANKS ARE OUT OF BALANCE JUST AS MUCH ON A 2012 AS THEY ARE ON A 2009, 2010,2011 OR ANY OTHER ONE. And it's not crank run out it's uneven distribution of the mass ( crank throws, rods, pistons, etc.). And you can fix the run out and when you don't fix the unbalance the run out will become bad again and when the bearing start to wear the run out increases as well.
I have a guy bringing a 2012 Etec to my shop in a week because it just shakes too much.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Have 3 new ETECs and none of them shake at all, bars don't vibrate etc. Must have got lucky 3 times!:face-icon-small-win

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Mine shakes as it comes off idle. Once in the revs it seams smooth.

Are you guys saying that a primary balance will do nothing because the internals area not balanced?

Is this even a real issue?

D
Jan 11, 2011
I believe a primary ballence will help it just wont do what the ballencing kit from perks will it is amazing that doo builds a machine so far out
i was surprised at the difference

Thanks again Perks

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
There's local guys here that does balancing, ones kinda scabby, but it is remarkable how much they can be out both the clutch and crank. Is the performance gains worth the $'s spent?

Last edited:
D
Jan 11, 2011
in my opinion the performance gain alone is worth it
I believe the money saved from not vibrating your sled apart is worth it
just from a pure comfort standpoint ,we all spend alot of money being warm and comfortable the money here is really worth it
the kit he sells bolts on external so disassembling your engine is not required, again worth it
I would spend the money again

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
All clutches are not out of balance the same amount, this also pertains to
the crankshaft, so how can you build a bolt on kit for all skidoo 800 sleds without knowing the true location and amount of unbalance on each
crankshaft.

D
Jan 11, 2011
I am not the expert I was just informing the forum of my experience with perks balancing kit

But what i understand is he balances the clutch by itself, then by modifying the starter ring and adding a weighted alum disc to the mag end of the engine he corrects the consistant out of balance issues that he has found all 800 ski doo's to have

Premium Features