• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 big bore kit

S
Sep 7, 2010
SHR860

Another vote for BJ's 860 kit. Have it on my short tracker and the kit has been flawless. A blast to ride and his CS is second to none.

R
Jan 31, 2008
big bore

John ran one of your kits for the 800 r and it rocks but looks like I must update the old iron and look at this new xm what kinda kits are you looking at for the E and there hp numbers thanks.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
John ran one of your kits for the 800 r and it rocks but looks like I must update the old iron and look at this new xm what kinda kits are you looking at for the E and there hp numbers thanks.

Thank you, I DOO try :rockon:...Will send out a few SHR ETEC860Rs this season...needed to verify a few things first...one of them is to NOT charge $150 for a remap that doesnt exist :lever:...

S
May 3, 2012
brentwood ca.
summit x

I have 08 xp 800r 154 and clutch side bearing is shot on crank......
I stopped before boom.........was looking to upgrade to your kit can I send you my crank to be rebuilt and if so what would costs be to completey do it up.....
Thankx for ahead of time.......Al

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I have 08 xp 800r 154 and clutch side bearing is shot on crank......
I stopped before boom.........was looking to upgrade to your kit can I send you my crank to be rebuilt and if so what would costs be to completey do it up.....
Thankx for ahead of time.......Al

It might be best to give John a call this time of year....he's probably out mowing the yard or reading up on the art of polishing aluminum. :face-icon-small-ton

SLED HEAD RACING
612-718-3861

hoho98925

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2008

Another satisfied SHR 860 customer here! this motor rocks, BJ's customer service is awesome.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
From my experience, I dont think BBs are worth the money. Depends how much money you have though I guess. The ones I rode ran good........but not $3000 good. Way better parts for your dollar out there IMHO. 14:1 head, track, clutching. My sled was close with any big bores I have been around. Kills BBs running stock tracks. If I had 3k to burn I would probably run one, but there wasnt the HUGE difference I was expecting.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
From my experience, I dont think BBs are worth the money. Depends how much money you have though I guess. The ones I rode ran good........but not $3000 good. Way better parts for your dollar out there IMHO. 14:1 head, track, clutching. My sled was close with any big bores I have been around. Kills BBs running stock tracks. If I had 3k to burn I would probably run one, but there wasnt the HUGE difference I was expecting.

Dont make any conclusion by jumping on a BB to compare. A poorly tuned BB will not hang with a stocker, A BB without proper squish and porting ,setup will also fall short, A BB with everything set properly will make a stocker fell like a 600.Generalizing the performance doesn't take in account all the poorly designed BB motors,When you jump on a very well tuned BB with Bored carbs and all the proper accessories it will easily take a 1000 with no problem and hang with pump gas turbos as well.probably only 10% are set up correctly.The instant torque is better than any other motor and excels in Boondocking conditions.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
John I have a question about the HP numbers you post. For comparison what does a stock 2012 ETEC pull on your dyno. If the numbers are correct can you "feel" the extra 11HP that your big block makes over the stock ETEC engine(if 163HP is accurate). Also, what is increase in power and torque for your ETEC 860 over stock? Last, how do you fuel and spark the ETEC?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
John I have a question about the HP numbers you post. For comparison what does a stock 2012 ETEC pull on your dyno. If the numbers are correct can you "feel" the extra 11HP that your big block makes over the stock ETEC engine(if 163HP is accurate). Also, what is increase in power and torque for your ETEC 860 over stock? Last, how do you fuel and spark the ETEC?

On the dyno I use...etecs pull 154-156 (carbed 800Rs pull 148-150)...all things being equal, YES you can feel the diff...as for the etec 860 it only needs help (piggy back fuel system) in the mids at low elevation...BUT has to run 8200 to be safe at any elevation...my dilema with selling them...1 good pull at 7900 and your walking home...BJ

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Thanks. I don't understand this part; "BUT has to run 8200 to be safe at any elevation...my dilema with selling them...1 good pull at 7900 and your walking home...BJ" Please explain.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Thanks. I don't understand this part; "BUT has to run 8200 to be safe at any elevation...my dilema with selling them...1 good pull at 7900 and your walking home...BJ" Please explain.

The fuel map is designed to run lean/peak HP for the stocker at 7900...then richens up to control any over rev (extra fuel OK for 860)...adding a piggy back system helps the mids/low elevation fueling...but the 7800/7900 range is still a little hairy...(adding fuel at 7800/7900 to be safe over fuels and limits power at 8100/8200)...so thats my "dilema"....

For Johnny "lake racer" its awesome...for johnny "tuner" mountain guy its awesome...BUT even for them 1 good pull at 7900 (1 clicker off basically) and it wont be happy...especially on plain pump...bump the octane and it helps...BJ

*if I buy a 2013.,..its going 860 day one...just saying:face-icon-small-coo

trenchking

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
john the way my sled ran at last i could not be happier only problem kept having to clutch down just kept hitting the rev limiter no matter what i climed in cooke city can't wait till it gets fully broke in! thanks again! Howard

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC
A slight highjack. For those of us still kicking it old school on the HO's, hoiw far behind and 860 will I be if I throw in and 840, or 827 kit?

A properly ported and built 830HO will take out any 860 I've seen on the hills besides an 860 from the same place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soe0KbBs5sg

heres a vid of an 830HO rev, this sled has over 20,000kms, gets ridden every weekend, or twice a week.

So to answer your question they rip

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC

Deaner I see alot of non ported 860's so to compare a more less stock cylinder 860 to a 800 stock with a 14-1 head well you can kinda compare apples to apples. 60cc doesnt really make the difference, we did it for the dual ring pistons. And 20cc to a 880 doesn't make the difference either.
It comes in a good billit head and porting and lots of it, and I don't mean just raising an exhaust port to make a peaking revving engine which falls off and can't hold clutching. After the cylinder is bored 3mm the port shapes change so you need to get some of the ports back to how they were or get the air flow working. I love building the 860's they rip no other comes close but after 12hrs+ porting it better work.
So don't think all 860's or 880's are they same, not even close

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Deaner I see alot of non ported 860's so to compare a more less stock cylinder 860 to a 800 stock with a 14-1 head well you can kinda compare apples to apples. 60cc doesnt really make the difference, we did it for the dual ring pistons. And 20cc to a 880 doesn't make the difference either.
It comes in a good billit head and porting and lots of it, and I don't mean just raising an exhaust port to make a peaking revving engine which falls off and can't hold clutching. After the cylinder is bored 3mm the port shapes change so you need to get some of the ports back to how they were or get the air flow working. I love building the 860's they rip no other comes close but after 12hrs+ porting it better work.
So don't think all 860's or 880's are they same, not even close

Very true however the 880 does have more grunt compared to the 860, this is using the same ported 860 cylinder just bored to 880 with adjusted exhaust port.

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC
byeatts, Normally whats happening when bored out an extra 1mm, or .5mm on the exhaust side with the exhaust port slopping down, so when bored the exhaust port is being lowered, which will better suite higher elevation riders giving you the sensation of more grunt as you call it. But its minimal. Most so called engine builders selling the 860 or 880 wont touch it and send it off to be replated. Talking to the replating companies, alot of these guys are just sending the cylinders to these replate companies and they are boring them out and replating them with no porting at all! So the end buyer gets a very poor 860 or 880. Then they get on the internet and say how good it runs or doesn't. If only they could try a real ported 860. It would surprise them.
At Terra Alps we do exhaust port changes for high elevation riders, or turbo applications, something no one else does. With lots of porting in other areas. Also our head design which you have makes good power and acceleration.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
byeatts, Normally whats happening when bored out an extra 1mm, or .5mm on the exhaust side with the exhaust port slopping down, so when bored the exhaust port is being lowered, which will better suite higher elevation riders giving you the sensation of more grunt as you call it. But its minimal. Most so called engine builders selling the 860 or 880 wont touch it and send it off to be replated. Talking to the replating companies, alot of these guys are just sending the cylinders to these replate companies and they are boring them out and replating them with no porting at all! So the end buyer gets a very poor 860 or 880. Then they get on the internet and say how good it runs or doesn't. If only they could try a real ported 860. It would surprise them.
At Terra Alps we do exhaust port changes for high elevation riders, or turbo applications, something no one else does. With lots of porting in other areas. Also our head design which you have makes good power and acceleration.

Ive been running the 880.s since 07,And also run Arts head which has been the same as yours. What I was suggesting is same extreme ported 860 cylinder bored to a 880 and as I indicated I adjusted the port height develops more hp by a good margin over my 860,s.On a fully modded motor with bored carbs instantly over-Reved and added 2 grams pin weight.Im Not belittling your 860 just adding some info, The 880 will not shine without bored carbs as theres an Air- flow bottleneck which holds it back with stock carbs.

Last edited:
Premium Features