• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How can I tell if my rear shock is bad?

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Due to a blown motor and BRP taking thiewr sweet time in giving me a warranty replacement I have a 2009 XP that has been "on blocks" so to speak since last January. Fianlly got a motor in June!! had it installed and had to put the seld away.
I pulled it out to get ready for the season and the rear suspension would not rebound. I coudldpush it down but it would not come back up. Even if I picked up the rear of the sled the track would come off the ground before the suspension would release. I removed the rear damper/shock and the springs seem to to work fine, the suspension will return to the top with just a slight bit of sag.
I worked the shock up and down a little and now when I bottom it by hand it slllooowwllyy extends to full length.
Anyone know how this shock should normally perform. I have the rear springs set at max tension. Should I be able to compress those as easily as I can.

I can't decide if its the rear damper or the coil over springs or both that is bad.

S
Dec 12, 2007
mountain home Idaho
shock

I would have your rear shock rebuilt because I had the same problem with my 09. The rear shock from the factory was a POS. I had it rebuilt and it worked as it was supposed too. I recently swapped out the rear shocks for the Tom's Air Evolution and love it. The ride and handling was greatly improved and now i couldn't be happier with the sleds performance and handling characteristics.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
If you have an X model your shocks can be rebuilt. If you have never had them rebuilt, they all need to be done. The oil and gas in the shocks lasts only about a season of riding if it is has never been rebuilt before. The factory oil is crap in those shocks and I bet you are way down on pressure in all of the shocks, not just the skid shocks.

PM Gus Bohne on here and he will hook you up with a deal that can't be beat for rebuilds. We had 3 sets done by him and it is way better than stock and well worth it.

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Thanks all,
I've been doing a little more reading. Basically the Everest rear suspension is junk. I can't rebuild my shocks so I'm looking to buy a new set for the rear. Any suggestions?
Oh, I also bought and installed the heavy springs. Seemed to help a little.

Premium Features