• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO-RMK -vs- XP ETEC 800 head to head

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
not ficion, reality

we have had very good luck, i really dont know of to many with motor issues

You don't know of too many motor issues with 07 and 08 Ski Doo 800's? Is this a serious statement? I had TONS of fun with my 07 Rev....but the bottom line is it took 2 motors, 2 primary clutch rebuilds, 1 complete chaincase, 2 sets of plug wires, a main fuse, 2 sets handwarmers, etc, etc to get over 2,000 miles. Not to mention installing a completely different secondary clutch and all new primary clutch components to get the factory rated HP out of it....

I like all the brands just fine....but you are a complete doo fanboy by sounds....

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Some of you need to read the cat and polaris forums. They all seem to have simular problem as ski-doo. And if not. there are problems just the same. I know of all the sleds I work on and ride with, there is no one that makes the perfect sled. I do know that if you have a problem that we can contructively ask our friends on here and get help from some very wise people or bitc? to the manufacters of the product you bought. Some of these threads just go nowhere and do nothing and this is one of them. ( it might not of been intended to be one, but became one). I know the last time I looked at this exact thread on the polaris forum, there was more constructive coments than not. Cudos to the polaris guys/

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
Calling all those who have actually ridden one of the aforelisted sleds!!!

It would be refreshing to hear from just a few "Riders" who have actually ridden the sleds referenced in this post and therefrom have a little realworld comparative info. I'll have to concede that all the manufacturers have had their successes and failures, but would like to suggest that another thread would be an appropriate venue for that info.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Some of you need to read the cat and polaris forums. They all seem to have simular problem as ski-doo. And if not. there are problems just the same. I know of all the sleds I work on and ride with, there is no one that makes the perfect sled. I do know that if you have a problem that we can contructively ask our friends on here and get help from some very wise people or bitc? to the manufacters of the product you bought. Some of these threads just go nowhere and do nothing and this is one of them. ( it might not of been intended to be one, but became one). I know the last time I looked at this exact thread on the polaris forum, there was more constructive coments than not. Cudos to the polaris guys/

Exactly they all have problems, so why not just admit it instead of saying you and 6 of your buddies have put 6000 miles on your sleds and not one of you had any problems:face-icon-small-dis

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
It seems like if you report good results your a lier,if you report bad results people are very intrested,admit it people love reading about other peoples bad luck,they all have issues,i've owned poo's and doo's same sh$t diffrent piles,enjoy your new ride i'm sure theres going to be bugs to work out of both sledds.

U

Unklsnomobile

Nov 30, 2007
I had an 05 rmk 900 and an 08 xp 800. Both were first year productions and lot's of issues. My experience, the 900 had way more issues, but the big difference for me was Polaris would not warranty anything. Skidoo fixed all my issues and it never cost me a dime. Since then I've stuck with doo. If only they would get their clutching right. I'll buy from whoever gives me good service and stands behind their product. That seems to change every once and a while.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Exactly they all have problems, so why not just admit it instead of saying you and 6 of your buddies have put 6000 miles on your sleds and not one of you had any problems:face-icon-small-dis

I don't know why, ( because I am the type of person who checks everything all the time ), but I have at least 5 buddies that do have 5- 6000 miles on their sleds and have never had any problems. Just gas it and go. They by new ones every 2-3 years and it's the same story. I would not buy those sleds after they had them. 4 of the guys have haqd 800 skidoos since they came out and 2 have cats.
Most of my customers problems are themselves. They bring in a sled that has lots of miles on and have never been touched. The clutches are full of dust and worn out because of it. The sled is full of pine needles and are so dirty I don't want to work on it. It sat outside most of the year and has been beat from everything around. Then I get....these things don't last!
If you don't want to take care of something that revs 8000 rpm, runs in freezing weather, travels through snow, ice, water, dirt,and trees. Gets jumped or tows all your crap in this weather. Gets rolled once or twice a month. etc etc, then don't buy one and if you do, don't bitc?.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
my body has a etec he sais it rips going to kill my 860 he says,anyway like to see some comparisions as well of this new etec,and the polaris

If a stock e-tec beats your 860, I would never go back to that particular engine builder.:face-icon-small-win

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Like anyone would believe anything you wrote when it is concerning a Ski Doo:face-icon-small-dis Your bias when talking about ski doo is rediculous.

The 07's were either a decent sled or just a plain pile of sh!t with nothing but problems, I knew many guys with both, I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and say you got a good one.
But your story about all the 08 XP's is complete BS and you know it. I owned one and so did 10 of my riding buddies. Every last one of them had clutching and belt issues period. I was toasting belts every 100miles in the deep stuff. And the cluthcing was all over the place. It either had to be clutched for the trail or clutched for the powder/hills.
I was a die hard Ski doo guy growing up on the since the old 97 500 summit. I am still partial to Ski Doo I will admit that but after my Xp I was a little pissed off and I wanted some more power so I went with a Turboed Yammi.

It all has to do with the Dealer. If you have a good Dealer that knows how to set the clutches up, you wont have any problems.

Back to the topic, IMO the Pro RMK is a new sled that will have issues. At least the XP chasis has been around for 3 years.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I don't know why, ( because I am the type of person who checks everything all the time ), but I have at least 5 buddies that do have 5- 6000 miles on their sleds and have never had any problems. Just gas it and go. They by new ones every 2-3 years and it's the same story. I would not buy those sleds after they had them. 4 of the guys have haqd 800 skidoos since they came out and 2 have cats.
Most of my customers problems are themselves. They bring in a sled that has lots of miles on and have never been touched. The clutches are full of dust and worn out because of it. The sled is full of pine needles and are so dirty I don't want to work on it. It sat outside most of the year and has been beat from everything around. Then I get....these things don't last!
If you don't want to take care of something that revs 8000 rpm, runs in freezing weather, travels through snow, ice, water, dirt,and trees. Gets jumped or tows all your crap in this weather. Gets rolled once or twice a month. etc etc, then don't buy one and if you do, don't bitc?.

It's not a maintence problem when concerning an 08 XP I think it is pretty well known that the 08 XP's had belt/clutching issues.
As far as other sleds yeah I can agree some prolly don't give enough TLC to there sleds

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
update.i havent spanked any pros with my old xp in the last couple days.:)

S
May 26, 2008
Wyoming
It would be refreshing to hear from just a few "Riders" who have actually ridden the sleds referenced in this post and therefrom have a little realworld comparative info. I'll have to concede that all the manufacturers have had their successes and failures, but would like to suggest that another thread would be an appropriate venue for that info.

Unfortunately Jetjock your thread is being hijacked. Would you like talk about how we can get to Mars and try out the polar ice caps.
As is stands today so far the Polaris has a clear advantage over the new etec in the soft fluff we have in Wyoming. Of the 2 etec I have been riding with the doo dealer has put a different clutch set up in the one that is broke in, no we haven’t had a chance to compare yet.

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
Funny **** this treads vs.....
Ski-doo guys want to see their hyped
E-tecs blows bye the pro with a couple of lengths...
All Doo guys talks of how fast theyre 165 hp sleds will
Be when the magic break in is done and someone has
Figured out gearing and clutching and all the rest....
ProRmk guys just ride and is happy even thou they have 147hp!!
Accept it! The Pro is the Real Deal!!
Talk about Game changer&

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
looks like the doo rider needs how to side hill a little better, i would side hill a xp in those conditions till the cows come home, gotta be fair when doing comparsions like that

we were out yesterday with two new pros, and we swaped more than a few times with the etec, sterring on the pros is as heavy as mud, feels like something is wrong and buckles your arms somewhat when turning, also the power of the etec is pronouced over the pro, ALL THESE COMMENTS CAME FROM THE POO RIDERS AFTER

for me riding theirs, all i goota say is keep the etec straight and simple

power is much better, if the etec is 165, theirs is 145, their sterring royally sucks, but their sled is light and good on fuel, as good as the etec, and 1200 dollars cheaper, but trust me when i say, keepp the etec

have some helmet cam video of the onslaught

Here's why my '09 XP has left the building and been replaced by a Pro Poo...:face-icon-small-ton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_elEvehBzw

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
looks like the doo rider needs how to side hill a little better, i would side hill a xp in those conditions till the cows come home, gotta be fair when doing comparsions like that

we were out yesterday with two new pros, and we swaped more than a few times with the etec, sterring on the pros is as heavy as mud, feels like something is wrong and buckles your arms somewhat when turning, also the power of the etec is pronouced over the pro, ALL THESE COMMENTS CAME FROM THE POO RIDERS AFTER

for me riding theirs, all i goota say is keep the etec straight and simple

power is much better, if the etec is 165, theirs is 145, their sterring royally sucks, but their sled is light and good on fuel, as good as the etec, and 1200 dollars cheaper, but trust me when i say, keepp the etec

have some helmet cam video of the onslaught
I think we knew what the "results" of your "testing" were going to be without you posting them....LOL.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ Haven't compared since the Doo dealer attempted to fix the crappy OEM clutching....are you really that dense?

Premium Features