• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally! An affordable rear suspension upgrade for '08-'09 XP's

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I remember reading last season that the re-valving element of the Doo upgrade is only possible on X models. Otherwise, you have to buy a new rear track shock to make it 100% the same. Probably also applies to the Xtreme/Tom's options as well. I ordered the Tom's kit. Will update once I have some time on it.

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
Alright, now you guys have me all confused (it isn't that difficult lately :face-icon-small-ton) . How many different types of suspension kits are we talking about now?

xtreme air vents
ski-doo
Tom's kit (I think 2 different kits from Toms have been mentioned here)

And what sleds do they work on? Some only work on 154's and some work on 146, 154 and 163? We need a post where each suspension is lined up, compared with what it changes, what/how many parts, and price. Anybody out there experienced enough with these mods to do that? That would be EXTREMELY helpful.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Alright, now you guys have me all confused (it isn't that difficult lately :face-icon-small-ton) . How many different types of suspension kits are we talking about now?

xtreme air vents
ski-doo
Tom's kit (I think 2 different kits from Toms have been mentioned here)

And what sleds do they work on? Some only work on 154's and some work on 146, 154 and 163? We need a post where each suspension is lined up, compared with what it changes, what/how many parts, and price. Anybody out there experienced enough with these mods to do that? That would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Well put, I agree.

U
Xtreme Kit - $325 works with all track lengths (146,154,163) uses stock rails, comes with new shock, relocation brackets, limiter strap.

Ski-doo kit - $500 only available for 154. Comes with new shock, rails, limiter strap, transfer block.

Tom's Kit - $425 works with all track lengths, uses stock rails, comes with new shock, relocation brackets, add $25 for limiter strap.

Drilling holes...doesn't really work with any track length (I know, I've tried) but is free.

Did I miss any?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
If you are simply looking for an inexpensive upgrade to you 2008- or 2009, why not just buy a standard 2010 shock from any dealer for around $180.00 and buy our brackets for $36.00? Total cost is now only $216.00.
Seems like that is truly your best "budget buy".
Another option would be to find someone looking to dump a used 2010 shock for around $100.00 and now your replacement cost is only $136.00.
Our limiter straps sell for $13.00. Not $25.00.
Also understand; our kit comes with a Fox Float airshock and differnent valving then stock.
We also have "other used shocks in that length or configuration that can be coupled with our brackets to give you a budget kit.

Last edited:
R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
If you are simply looking for an inexpensive upgrade to you 2008- or 2009, why not just buy a standard 2010 shock from any dealer for around $180.00 and buy our brackets for $36.00? Total cost is now only $216.00.
Another option would be to find someone looking to dump a used 2010 shock for around $100.00 and now your replacement cost is only $136.00.
Also understand; our kit comes with a Fox Float airshock and differnent valving then stock.
We also have "other used shocks in that length or configuration that can be coupled with our brackets to give you a budget kit.

If I already have a shock off of a 2010 all I need is your bracket or do I need the limiter strap also.

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
If I already have a shock off of a 2010 all I need is your bracket or do I need the limiter strap also.

Yes,
If you have a 2010 length shock, all you need is the brackets.
If you want to allow for full extension of the 2010 shock, (even on an 08-09), then you would need to buy a longer limiter strap as well.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO

Thanks Tom!

I have explained many times to others how great your customer service and over-all attitude is when dealing with sledders.

My first conversation with you I explained what I wanted for my Rev, you talked my out of spending extra money and just sold me what I needed. Who does that?

And again when setting up my XP you took time out of your busy daily schedule to explain all my options and get me the suspension set up that would work best with my budget and riding needs.

Great company to deal with...THANKS!

http://www.shoptomssnowmobile.com/index.htm

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
Not trying to make this thread more complicated, but does anyone know if the suspension/shock mounting locations are different from a 154 to a 163. my sled was originally a 154 and i stretched it to a '63 and would like to do one of these update kits. If mounting points are different then i'd like to change it to match the '63 when i do the update..(haven't decided which kit yet)....

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i cant believe i just looked at 1 fancy shock for 1500 bucks.that more than my XP is worth.LOL.could be all 4 for that much.

Last edited:
T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Tom is a stand up guy for sure. If he sells it, I would buy it. I jumped on the Evol Air bandwagon early on and had the "bump stop" issue. Tom called me personally, twice. He also called my dealer Lynn Felker and told him what to do to the Fox shock to fix the problem(they had put a bump stop in the shock unbeknownst to Tom-this made the arms bend). I also received a box at my door from Tom with a brand new/updated arm-at no cost to me. That friends, is CUSTOMER SERVICE:face-icon-small-hap

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Am checking websites, how bout a link to Xtreme Perf. I delt w/ them years ago on the 02 Summit carb setup w/ Donovan Facey, but he's now RMXtreme Perf. and can't find any link to this skid setup. All the other Xtreme Perf. sites are bikes and other asst. bs.
Thanx!!

Will check w/ Tom's when the times comes to address this, he sounds like an A-1 supplier also. Seen his Doo susp. setups listed for years.

I talk to Tom today about his kit. His price qoute was over $500 for a new middle fox float shock and a relocation bracket. He did however walk me through the process and tell me how and what it does and what it gains as well. Tom was a nice guy and was more than happy to talk to me and let me pick his brain. If I end up doing any rear suspension work I will definatly call Tom.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Just got my replacement shock from Extreme !!!!Great guy to deal with...nice product !!!Makes the gas KYB look like it was made in Japan....wait a minute....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-coo:lol:I won't be able to follow much more of this thread cause I am almost to the end of my free membership:lol:so have fun:devil:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Why aren't people just getting a longer rod for the stock X front skid shock, revalve it and buy the brackets? Can this be done with the 2008-2009 shock body? If it could it would be about half the price. On an Everest you would need the whole shock since its not serviceable so I can see getting the full kit here is worth it. Then again now on a regular Everest the rest of the suspension is junk and the front skid shock would be unmatched in valving and performance.

Last edited:
Premium Features