• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 xp works awesome compared to the 09

S
Jan 6, 2002
holy crap you dont need to i can carve this sled now on flat ground with hardly any snow forever, leave it in take advantage of the rippin up the rough trail to get to the hill .

i'm not sure of the 08,09 xp's...but the swaybar on the 10's is only a little bigger than 1/4 keystock..thats all it is! must have more flexibility due to its small size!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i went out today with a 2010 model sumit, riding was at low elevation, we swaped more than a few times, and the 10 was nice but i would of not gave up my 08 for it, suspension felt soft and riding postion was different:confused:

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I would Love to know What's Changed???.
Is it just the shocks and springs?
I checked the 2009 to the 2010 parts catalog, and the front arm assembly in the rear skid is the same # for both years. The Rails and shock/springs ARE different.

Are you folks comparing rear suspension or is the front suspension the big improvement?. I see there is talk that the sway bar is different, is that a big improvement?.

Thanks in Advance

I'd like to know what changed to and if I can do the upgrade kit on my 2009 xp 146". Anyone know?

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I've only got an hour of seat time on mine and I can already carve and rip with ease on it.

Nothing done to mine other than bars inline with post, swaybar out, and 3/4" cut off the outside of each ski, previous owner did that.

Kinda turns like a tank on the hard stuff though, gonna have to mess with the supsension.

I've never seen a sled that feels so light in the front end in the powder.

Last edited:
S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
If I remember right, the stock Summit XP ski's have a dual keel on each ski, one in the middle and one towards the outside of the ski.

Guys are flipping them so that they have a keel in the middle and then the other keel in on the inside of the ski's, makes it so it tips on it's side easier.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
It's weird. Some dealers/techs say that it's not worth the coin for what you actually get and I'm gonna agree with them as it seems as if they are being honest and not just trying to sell somebody a pile of parts.

IMO, if one wants to do a suspension upgrade it would be better to do a Tom's suspension, EZ Ryde, Holz or Timbersled.

I wouldnt say that...HOW many did a before and after??

for $500 (1/3 the cost or less than aftermarket skids) its a noticable and valuable upgrade IMHO...BJ

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
If I remember right, the stock Summit XP ski's have a dual keel on each ski, one in the middle and one towards the outside of the ski.

Guys are flipping them so that they have a keel in the middle and then the other keel in on the inside of the ski's, makes it so it tips on it's side easier.

I did this yesterday (swapped ski's) on my '10 Summit 154" along with removing the sway bar.

FYI for anyone removing the sway bar.
I used a 1/2" or 5/8" expandable plug to seal up the hole that used to contain the sway bar - works slick. Not sure if others have done this but it worked great for me.

I'm still trying to get used to the sled and the ergonomics. I'm coming off an '09 RMK 800 so it still feels different/awkward to me. I tried riding with the bars inline with the steering post and I felt hunched over (10" risers and I'm 6'0"). On my RMK, the bars were pretty much straight up and down, so when you turned to the left or right, the bars would stay parallel with the sled. Now on my Doo, when I turn the bar, one is high and the other is low. Maybe its just something I will have to adapt to. Other than that, the sled feels good - a little bit of handlebar vibrations though.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
i love my 10 163 xp, i had a 08 and a 09 163x and hated how they handled, i rode my 10 today and i think they are night and day difference, i just have to just barely lean over the the sled follows so what ever brp did hats off to them, i had a blast riding it from my 09. it worked real well also it is the first ride with oil in the tank and when it was climbing in 1-2ft of fresh snow it was seeing 50-53mph track speed all the time this is awesome for this kind of sled, it felt as good or better than my modded 09 m1000 162 i had. i just had to say something because i was really starting to hate brp in the past from all the problems they had with their previous sleds, and mine worked awesome for the first 60miles of hard ridin.:beer;:D

tell me when you want to sell it Dwayne! jk

glad your enjoying this xp... im a believe in a 09 163 would like to see what a 2010 has in store. mite have to upgrade

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
...so the 154" guys are happy with this upgrade.

but, since not all of us have a 154, (I have a 146), has anyone priced out the parts to put this kit together for the other track lengths? did the '10 changes apply to all summit track lengths?

wth is doo only offering the kit for 154's

Last edited:
Mine seems hard to boondock and carve in the snow. How do you got yours set up?

Thanks

Dale

I would have to look and see where i ended up at. I don't recall what i stayed with last year, tried a few different things. It is all with stock components though. I removed sway bar. Limiter straps in stock holes, front shocks i believe are 3/4 hard, center track shock 3/4 hard, rear shock all way firm i believe. Ski's aren't swapped either as i have no problems with it laying over or sidehilling. I will double check all this and let you know, but i think that is right. But i am also a bigger guy. 6'4" 230 lbs. So minipulating sleds to do what i want isn't usually hard for me.

Good Luck

S
Jan 6, 2002
just got from Revy and managed to put on about 150 miles on our new 10 163 XP's. 2 other buds have the same sled and all of us are very happy with them! the handling was good,engines ran strong..and so far had no problems with them.

the only mods we have are 'thing" cans and air box mod from the "sled shed"(except mine has 2 florites)!

the clutching for the hills was actually not bad for stock! they would hold rpm's and sometimes drop few r's...and on the trails they were rockets! now mind you the snow at the time was marginal at about 6"-1ft of fresh pow on top of a good base, and deep pow test was not really had! we did find some deep pow in the tree's..there were only short pulls and couldnt really monitor the r's..but power was good and climbed very well! the clutches did get hot and fluctuate r's..so i know there are perfomance gains to be had with a clutch kit!,but for stock...not bad!

overall we are very happy with our new 10's,and IMO,compare these to the 06's as one of the best 'out of the box' sleds from Doo....so far!:)

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I had the chance to switch sleds with lightning800 on the last trip and all i have to say is WOW the 2010 front and rear suspension is sweet! after the upgrades I did, mine it's 100% better than a 09, but the 2010 is still easier to pull over and stay over than mine after my upgrades . the conditions were about 6inch to 1 ft on top of setup snow.
IMO I can't say that the 2010 rear suspension is better than the holz but if I had of known the 2010 kit was going to perform as well as it is, I would of spent the money on the upgrade kit.
I found out that the 2010 lower a-arms are different than the 09, increasing the castor to make the sled softer in the front end, my dealer was telling me that they found this out when a customer damaged his e-module and a-arm, but had a 09 arm installed to complete his trip, after the e-module was repaired the sled had 1 ski further forward than the otherone and had to get a 2010 arm to replace the 09 arm on the sled.

R

revtech100

Oct 13, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I swapped the skis, set the front shocks on soft, limiter strap in first hole and rear spring on 2. All I can say is it is AWESOME! Thanks all for the great advice!!!!! Carves and slices like it was meant to.....

D

Dmill

Sep 14, 2009
great falls / snow slip inn
i talked with a couple of the shop mechanics here today, from what i understand there is a half an inch difference at the top (front) of the rails higher, they dont change the springs, and basically he told me the only different thing was the shock length in the front, they are not even revalving the others unless asked to!!! has anyone just tried a longer shock in the back??? im guessing this could be a much cheaper solution then replacing all the components.

Premium Features