• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872

T

Trigger223

Mar 16, 2011

Well I just got home form a 5 day trip into the Kakwa. The weather was not favourable so we did not get to see a whole lot, but the snow was deep and the trees were fun.

My 872 performed flawlessly !!!!! Never touched the clutching for the entire trip. The higher the elevation, the better the sled would run and the more power it would produce....I am constatnty amazed how solid this engine is.

I was seeing 8000-8100 rpm CONSISTENTLY throughout the climbs or boondocking or deep powder carves. We got to play on one hill at about 6000ft.....45 sec to 60 sec climbs in the deep snow sidehilling left to right, straight up, right to left, WOT....48-51 mph track speed, 1180-1238 egts and not even so much as a burp in the engine or throttle response. No overheating, no codes, no anything...just pull and freakin ride !!!!!

My clutching is working great and I am very pleased with this engine. I have about 500 miles on it now and still loving it.

Oh, I did manage to break the torque plate/arm (whatever you want to call it) that is on the left side of the engine behind the primary clutch !!!

How...dont know....just know the bolts are all broken....I am going to say it is because of all the freakin torque this engine makes.

Also, it is probably a 60 km ride on a trail, each way, towing a skimmer with 5 days supplies and fuel.....awesome test for my machine....very pleased.

No issues with the 3" track, drivers or anything else. I dont know why people say you must go slow on a trail with the 3" track, but i say....No way...unless it is icey or bare(obviously), but I it drive like a noraml machine and have no issues.

All in all.....a successful trial run for my build and I am very pleased with this combination of parts.....it is a much better handling machine than the stock 09.

The ONLY downside is the fuel consumption...it does like to drink fuel....a lot of it. I will be contacting Dave to see if there is something I can do about it...but i doubt it....it is a big bore !!!

Way to go Dave.....I am probably 290 lbs with all my gear on and I guarantee you that I dont "BABY" this sled....it is working great and I can keep up with guys on stock machines that are 100 lbs lighter than me and even highmark them once in a while !!!!!!

Happy New Year and safe riding to all !!!!!!!!!

We do not usually get complaints about fuel used, Most customers say just slightly harder than stockers , Dont have to run as hard, * But if you are using this as a tow-truck?
Give a call,
Dave Trygstad

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I got a chance to test and tune with a friends new 2013 XM 872 Etec over the holidays.. Very Impressed! What a sleeper package with stock can! Super snappy, clean bottom end with huge grunt..Pulls hard all the way thru the big end. It pulled a strong running ported R motor by 5 lengths with the first setup try..It demolished my new stock XM X... He has a little over 250 miles of break-in on the motor as we started clutching it for 9-12K....I'm sure there is more left in it but what a terrific package for the Etec... Another great motor from the Trygstad camp.

Excited to see what his improved/ported Etec package turns into....

Choices... Choices...:face-icon-small-ton

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
872 review

Here is my take. I just broke in my 2011 etec 872. My clutching is not spot on and I think I need to gear down as my top speed "on speedo" is 91 I am working with dave and will be ordering clutching that team has set up for this motor. When I bought it I took it easy for the first 200 miles and then I rode it harder to 300, now I just ride it. I could honesty feel the rings seat as I gained 200r's and about 5 minutes later another 200. I think this is what happened. The power was hard for me to notice as I did not ride my stock etec at all this year. So this weekend I was riding in decent semi set up snow with several other sleds. The guys I was riding with seem to pride themselves on clutching and setting up sleds as I just ride and try to listen to dave. I have 220 pound guy riding with no one over 180. All sleds were stock other than another builders 860 ptec with all the goodies, (head,pipes, Y pipe, ect). He claimed 180 plus HP. I am not sure what my 872 is but anyway my sled runs harder even with me on it. At 1100 feet I had a track speed 0f 39-40 and he was 36-37, stocker was about 30-31. all with another rider checking out all 3. he was 190 pounds. Yeah we had a drag race (I know already) with me on my sled, him 150 on his sled I pulled him by a sled maybe and we were both well ahead of the pack 3-5 sleds. I know drag racing is not what it is about and I am kinda shamed to admit it did it put I wanted to see what my bb had and I am happy. It runs well and I know there is more on my clutching. The next day when ghe snow set up I was pulling 45-50 mph tack speeds at 8500 feet. Now on this day I rode with a polaris. HM Turbo and lets just say the higher we went the more this sled would hand it to me. But in the trees his bottom end is dirty and mine is crisps like fresh chips. To each his own. I would like to figure out how to run my sled at low elevation for a bit and see how is stacked up against a turbo at 3000 feet. IDK if my BB is the best tuned like all you guys and I admit I have been humbled a time or two as a rider but it will not compete in a hard climb at 1100 plus feet, just not enough air. I like it better in the trees and and tight stuff. That is my thoughts hope it helps

L

Love-n-Life

Nov 26, 2007
CO
Finished break-in on my 872 etec. It's on a 2013 summit xm. This thing pulls like a freight train. Really impressed with how well this package works. I have had several of Trygstad motors and he has always been very helpful and delivers a great product. I was originally concerned about the ability to do an engine package on an etec due to limited ability to fuel it, but Dave has the 872 package figured out. With the stock pipe and can, this is a great sleeper package. Motor has tons of bottom end. Easily pulls out four to five lengths on a good running 800xp on the flats, but point it up hill, see ya later. The hill is were this thing shows it's teeth. Break-in is key for this motor. 180-200 miles and this thing was rockin. We are just starting to dial in clutching and know there is more left. Thanks Trygstad for a great package for the Etec.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Had an awesome day in the mtns yesterday....872 performed flawlessly and the new spring definately loaded up the top end and increased my track speed. Snow was crusty on the top and mediocore underneath. Was seeing up to 55mph track speed on steep climbs and consistently pulling 8000-8100 rpm.Engagement went up to 4000 rpm from 3400...its alright but a little jumpy in the trees. Would like to see it back down at 3400 with this spring
(160/380). May have to try a different ramp but i really like these 441's. Current setup is:
441 ramps
stock arms w/16 grams
stock rollers
160/380 spring (ski doo purple/white)

I see that some guys are running a 160/290 or lighter spring but not sure what ramps they are running...have to look around the forum and find out.

Once again Dave...solid build and totally reliable....makes me smile every time I get out....well done !!!

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Had an awesome day in the mtns yesterday....872 performed flawlessly and the new spring definately loaded up the top end and increased my track speed. Snow was crusty on the top and mediocore underneath. Was seeing up to 55mph track speed on steep climbs and consistently pulling 8000-8100 rpm.Engagement went up to 4000 rpm from 3400...its alright but a little jumpy in the trees. Would like to see it back down at 3400 with this spring
(160/380). May have to try a different ramp but i really like these 441's. Current setup is:
441 ramps
stock arms w/16 grams
stock rollers
160/380 spring (ski doo purple/white)

I see that some guys are running a 160/290 or lighter spring but not sure what ramps they are running...have to look around the forum and find out.

Once again Dave...solid build and totally reliable....makes me smile every time I get out....well done !!!

I have the same set up but not as much weight Im just under 15

M

mach11998

Oct 29, 2009
Dave build incredible product with the 800r line!!! i caint wait to get 872 big bore twin piped for the next seasons of drac race in quebec area!!!

that was little video with trygstad twin pipe 800r (800 cc) on the tsr drag series

1 place 800 imp
1 place 800 pro-stock
1 place 1000 imp

i was in my second season with is built engine without any problem!!:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCzFc_v3w94

thanks dave

max

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
Dave build incredible product with the 800r line!!! i caint wait to get 872 big bore twin piped for the next seasons of drac race in quebec area!!!

that was little video with trygstad twin pipe 800r (800 cc) on the tsr drag series

1 place 800 imp
1 place 800 pro-stock
1 place 1000 imp

i was in my second season with is built engine without any problem!!:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCzFc_v3
thanks dave

max

Max,
I see you are posting the results with your 800 mod that you were looking for
when you came to our shop, How large of jetting did you end up with
that package?? Video looks like you guys are having a great time, French is not my strong point but I picked up a few special words from my visits to Valcourt,
Give a call if you need anything
Dave Trygstad

M

mach11998

Oct 29, 2009
That day they was like -20 celcius with my rad gauge showing a 103 i got 720 pto and 700 mag at sea level.... 2 shim on the neadle and 22,5 pilot jet. The tack look like the engine rev so much on top but my vdo was showing 260 rpm more than the realty!!! that engine fly when you ear the engine sound lean at the top!! MY hp on dyno show 192 a 8775 rpm in only few second!!!.... that engine wanth to rev!!!!!

max

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
That day they was like -20 celcius with my rad gauge showing a 103 i got 720 pto and 700 mag at sea level.... 2 shim on the neadle and 22,5 pilot jet. The tack look like the engine rev so much on top but my vdo was showing 260 rpm more than the realty!!! that engine fly when you ear the engine sound lean at the top!! MY hp on dyno show 192 a 8775 rpm in only few second!!!.... that engine wanth to rev!!!!!

max

Max,
That is close to the horsepower numbers we obtain here on our SuperFlow 901 with using an accel rate of 100 rpm per second for that style 800R, We average 195-196 hp here with a huge useable torque band, I see your jetting is close to what we use here with required BSFC-FA lb/hr numbers,
You will find similar results with our 872 Big Bore , they need and love fuel
to produce the power and torque we have obtained with years of developing this great performing engine package!

Great job on those wins you keep posting!
Anything needed give a call,

Dave Trygstad

Premium Features