• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Couple M1000 Clutch questions

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Just took the clutches apart 1st time on the M1k, couple questions.
There's 2 black spacers in the end of the helix, assuming add/subtract spacers for preload adjustment? Usually take multiple spacers to get enough preload to get ful rpms? Now going with a 170-310 spdwrx spring, 39deg helix/shift assist for a 5kft alt setup. SLP pipe/CPC head.
Also has the OE plastic bushing under the insde end of the spring with the shift assist on top of it. Again increasing preload. Safe to run just the shift assist against the clutch?
Trying not to take apart the clutch multiple times to adj spring preload.
What's an avg setup with the spacers and shift assist?
Secondary bolts/screws. Know they should be replaced each time the clutch is apart. Necessary to use loctite? Snapped off a couple removing them, good thing I'm getting a new helix anyway, save easy outing them for now.
Do they really fly out if not loctited in?
Primary. Have CPC adjustable weights. Is it ok to have a bit of weight protruding out the hole in the heel of the weight? It doesn't restrict the clutch from full shift out.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Iwould not run the plastic spring seat under the shift assist. Run the assist against the clutch. You can have a small amount of weight sticking out on the heel end.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have always had to loc-tite the helix bolts on my M1000. They backed out once and made a real mess of things.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You have to heat the helix screws to get them out without breaking them. IMO a 39* is to steep and wont backshift or hold rmp without loosing track speed you could have. I run the shift assist and no spacers or one, 2 looses. If you want your clutching to work you need extra motor mounts. If you have more than 1000 miles on your secondary, send it to BDX and for $80 they will rebush it. I bet when you take off the back sheave it gets tighter right before it comes off, if it does it will ruin good clutching and needs redone.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Wyoboy, thx for the tip on the screws, makes sense guess I got in a hurry.
10-4 on the loctite.
39deg is what racinstation reccomended, but I'll keep it in mind if it's not geting track speed.
I'll lose one of the preload spacers to start with.
Bushing is fine I think. I'll dble ck, but it seemed smooth and not worn. Sled has probably 1300mi or so on it. Yes, got an extra mount and push arm coming.

Premium Features