• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How does this happen?

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
2010 M8. Only about 1500 km on it. Anyone see a piston break like this before?

DSC00176.jpg DSC00177.jpg DSC00178.jpg DSC00179.jpg DSC00180.jpg DSC00183.jpg DSC00185.jpg

H
Nov 26, 2007
Head and piston crown are classic detonation. Severe lean condition (not enough gas for the amount of air during combustion) causing the piston to get too hot and expand to be bigger in diameter than the cylinder bore leading to piston sticking. Extreme uncontrolled combustion=severe damage. Air leak on this side of motor?

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
Not sure about a air leak. But we did get it to run and it ran on one cylinder part of the way out and the it started runnin in two and it was running fine. so maybe it just didnt get oil for a bit while i was climbing

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Looks like a turbo running too much boost per octane required. I have seen a few like this before.

If it is naturally aspirated, I have not seen one this bad as the knock sensor will shut you down before you experience this kind of failure.

Usually detonation caused by too much cylinder pressure.

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
Looks like a turbo running too much boost per octane required. I have seen a few like this before.

If it is naturally aspirated, I have not seen one this bad as the knock sensor will shut you down before you experience this kind of failure.

Usually detonation caused by too much cylinder pressure.

Its stock except for reeds, BDX intake and a D&D can. Which shouldnt affect anything. It ran fine like that for two years. It also ran fine on saturday and during the first part of sunday.

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
did you get some junk fuel? low octane or some alky in it? Test the gas for ethanol.

It did flash the octane code but that was after it piled up. Fuel was 91 0ctane from shell so it should have been good

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Lots of things can cause it, but it could be as simple as the piston being colapsed and having too much skirt clearance... rattles back and forth and the skirt breaks off... once a piece comes off then all kinds of stuff can happen to make it look really nasty.

And all the other things that people are saying can cause it. ;)

sled_guy

Premium Features