• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

track alignment

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
I just replace my track and find myself chasing it back and forth from one side to the other. This is not the first time this has happened, it seems like its everytime. I can get it centered but then once I tighten down the axle it walks off again. So I then tighten the axle down before running the track but it seems it won't stay centered well. I am not running a two wheel kit.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Not sure where you're going wrong there, but what I usually do is first measure the adj bolt length on both sides before taking apart and reset to that after putting back together. Or set both sides to the same bolt length, measure/set track deflection. Then with the rear axle hand tight, run the track and make slight adjustments. Never had much trouble getting a track to center up.

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
while on track stand, set adjustment as needed but don't tighten lock nut.

Run track and shut off motor, let track stop on its own (no brake), then tighten lock nuts.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
while on track stand, set adjustment as needed but don't tighten lock nut.

Run track and shut off motor, let track stop on its own (no brake), then tighten lock nuts.

I do just that. It all looks great until I tighten the axle bolts and recheck it. After tightening the axle bolts and run it again it takes off to one side or the other.

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
Why even loosen the axle up? Most sleds that ive worked on i can take the skid out by taking the rear bolts out first, then take the nuts off the front bolts. Tip sled on its side, remove front bolts. Then just swing rear skid around towards front of sled till track is loose enough to pull skid straight up.

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
because you must loosen the axle before you can align track, correct? I think you are right in saying loosening the axle has nothing to do with taking the skid out. But a new track will need to be aligned and deflection set.

M

mezz250x

Feb 1, 2008
Dassel, MN
because you must loosen the axle before you can align track, correct? I think you are right in saying loosening the axle has nothing to do with taking the skid out. But a new track will need to be aligned and deflection set.

Correct. I didnt see that you replaced the track. Just thought you had it out, and put the same one back in.

Premium Features