• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has anyone done the Carl's skis mod on simmons gen1

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
A buddy of mine did it on his edge chassis last year. I told him the Gen 1's are junk anyhow, so might as well cut them up:face-icon-small-win

This is the best shot of them I can find, gives you the idea.

190055_513393918917_160600049_30319079_819834_n.jpg

They made a big difference, made pulling over that PIG of an edge much easier.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I like Simmons gen 1's the stock skis wander all over the trail

which sucks, gen 1's float alot better and dual keel keeps them on track

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
hmmmm i must be the only one that likes my Gen I on m-series

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Not the only one. We are like the big girls at the prom.
They all like them but won't admit it in front of the other guys. lol

There's nothing sexy about admitting your favorite ski is the stock one!!! (ok, my fav is the powder pro... but stockers are free.)

I loved the gen 1 on my old T-cat, then tried them on the M... pitiful

IF you like them, you should really try a real single keep ski, or you should spend more time on 1 ski!!!:boxing::boxing:

Honestly, nothing wrong with not being someone who spends the day on one ski & looks for every single hill from a perspective of how can I make the stupidest line I can to the top... if that's the case, then the C&A, and Simmons are great skis. They've got their strong suits for sure, it's just NOT SIDEHILLING... which is what sledding is about to me (well... that & attempting to reach low orbit as often as possible)

btw, my take on wide skis when it comes to mountain riding, just explained it to a buddy today, figured I'd repeat it here.

Most of us are actually of the opinion that wider is worse for mountain riding, because it doesn't allow the ski to drop into the snow when sidehilling, which creates more "fight" with the surface & makes you feel the irregularities, and that it lifts the front end more, which makes the back more prone to washout. The M is not a sled which is particularly prone to front end dive, so wide skis for flotation are not needed, and are rather counter to what we're looking for.

Last edited:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
There's nothing sexy about admitting your favorite ski is the stock one!!! (ok, my fav is the powder pro... but stockers are free.)

I loved the gen 1 on my old T-cat, then tried them on the M... pitiful

IF you like them, you should really try a real single keep ski, or you should spend more time on 1 ski!!!:boxing::boxing:

Honestly, nothing wrong with not being someone who spends the day on one ski & looks for every single hill from a perspective of how can I make the stupidest line I can to the top... if that's the case, then the C&A, and Simmons are great skis. They've got their strong suits for sure, it's just NOT SIDEHILLING... which is what sledding is about to me (well... that & attempting to reach low orbit as often as possible)

btw, my take on wide skis when it comes to mountain riding, just explained it to a buddy today, figured I'd repeat it here.

Most of us are actually of the opinion that wider is worse for mountain riding, because it doesn't allow the ski to drop into the snow when sidehilling, which creates more "fight" with the surface & makes you feel the irregularities, and that it lifts the front end more, which makes the back more prone to washout. The M is not a sled which is particularly prone to front end dive, so wide skis for flotation are not needed, and are rather counter to what we're looking for.

I totally agree. If that 2012 PC had them the front would be lighter. LOL
I like the front end higher in the snow. Throw a coupling suspension on and they work well together. I side hill as much as I climb. On the MC800, M7 and M8 I have liked them over the stockers. Yes stockers are free but they are also low bid or they wouldn't be stockers. You also don’t want Simmons if weight is a concern to you. I also know what you are saying about side hilling. Maybe I like them more because I have had them on all my past sleds. It is hard to explain....I like the ski just like I like the Cat sled. It is comfortable for my dumb a**. Just like the girl. It may not be perfect but it has a great personality. Do you believe it?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I like the wide skis, I actually like the simmons gen II's other than the weight and on my m1000 I moved the mounting location so it had the same stance as the stockers and it worked like a dream. The Gen I is unpredictable and fights thats why I don't like it. The stockers punch through to easy but work, I don't care about turning on flat, and the stockers are free.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
i actually spend more time on 1 ski or no skis haha. suspension setup was key for me. with the stock coil shocks they sucked big time ill admit it, but when i bought a set of float and revalved them to the specs i wanted, it changed my opinion drastically. i too have had simmons on my last sleds mc800 M7 M8 and i even tried them on my 440 snopro haha (sucked major)

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the stock skis- dart all over the place on the trail

the Gen 1's have dual keel and don't dart all over, and in wet snow they float really well, the xtra skag makes the sled go where u want it with minimum effort,
though since I went turbo power my skis don't touch the ground much especially on my big bore turbo with 153" it was way too short it wanted to flip over backwards, on a 162 this year, would like to go 174"

Premium Features