• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Zero Pro vs Float on '05 M7

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
My sister-in-law has an '05 M7 LE with the stock Fox Float front shocks. How do these compare to the stock Zero Pros on the regular model for ease of sidehilling? My brother had a Nytro with Floats that was super hard to sidehill, until he sold the Floats and put the stock shocks back on. The Floats were just way too stiff once you had enough air in them to hold the front end up. We even tried the Fett Bros. canisters to soften them up. Maybe they were just valved wrong. The Floats on the M7 don't seem near as bad, but I wonder if the Zero Pros work better, especially for a light rider like my S-I-L.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Unless the Floats have been re-valved you will be much happier with the Zero Pro's in that situation. Original Float (AC version) valving was incredibly jacked up.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
After having floats on and off my three m series sleds, I finally left the zero pros on and sold my last set of floats.On the floats I Tried air chambers, made even bigger air chambers, revalved to latest 2011 spec, still like the zero pros for riding tight trees, and more technical riding and side hill cuts. They seem to work better any time I have my M on its side which seems to be often.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
M7 will sidehill easily with teh skis pulled in to the narrow stance regardless of what shocks are on it.
I have trouble figuring out what all the discussion is with shocks, skis, etc for powder riding. The ski is a rudder and turning is about transferring your weight on the sled. I'm no pro rider, but that's my opinion. No trouble sidehilling any sled, except those d@mn XPs take some getting used to!
Now for hardpack, it's a completely different story.
FWIW, the zero pros on my M7 just finally lost a seal this summer. 7+years and 2500mi is pretty good shock life in my book.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Thanks guys. Might see if I can't find a deal on a set of Zero Pros.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I cannot fathom for all the fiber of my being why anyone would consider paying money for Fox Float shocks when there is any alternative out there. I mean hell, the leaf springs out of a '77 F-350 would be a better alternative than a Float shock. This M8 I have right now is the first, only, and last sled I have ever owned or will ever own with Fox Float shocks. They're garbage.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Unless the Floats have been re-valved you will be much happier with the Zero Pro's in that situation. Original Float (AC version) valving was incredibly jacked up.

its not the valving, you can valve them until you blow a gasket, and they're still crap.

"Evol" or not, they're still crap. "Float 2" or not, they're still crap.

There is no band-aid under the sun that fixes the fundamentally flawed design philosophy of a fox float.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
After running an 08 M8 Snopro with Floats for 3 years, and now being on an 11 M8 with Zero Pros all the way around and a coilover in the rear I can say that the floats suck as well. The Zero Pros suck up the stutter bumps much much better and feel great when riding the backcountry. The ride quality is much better on the Zero Pros. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Premium Features