• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 Hood foam & other weight loss options?

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
I read somewhere on here where some or all the foam is removed from under the hood for weight savings; why is it there and how do you guys remove it? also what are some other good weight saving ideas? I started with a can, cut the snow flap and removed the 2 inner wheels on the skid. Im not lookin at spendin alot of money on weight savings (got other bills) any other ideas out there?

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
The foam is there for noise issolation. Chuck it! Doesnt save much but it could get wet and retain water/ice weight. Just pull the clips that hold it in and pull it out.

Other (cheap) weight loss

BDX oil injection delete $30 8lbs loss
BDX intake $180 8lbs loss
BDX center idler kit $80 2lbs loss

Theres 18lbs loss for under $300. Gets progressively more pricey as you go for less and less loss. But where theres money, theres a way. :face-icon-small-ton

smoking_powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2007
North Dakota
The foam is there for noise issolation. Chuck it! Doesnt save much but it could get wet and retain water/ice weight. Just pull the clips that hold it in and pull it out.

Unless they changed the insulation from 2010 to 2011 his is glued to the hood and not held in with clips like on the '09 and earlier sleds.

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
Thanks for the replys, the foam is glued to the hood and seems to be holding pretty good. Whats the best way to remove it, I dont want it to look like sh*t so im lookin for some tips. Thanks for any help.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Took a filet knife and ran it along the hood. It left just a thin layer of glue and foam. It doesn't drop much weight but does give more room for the heat to go.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Ride my M1000 for a couple hours, then yours will feel alot lighter!
I took the foam out of the M7, glued in, in many small pieces, scraped with a razor blade. It's not shiny, but it's gone.
Maybe get a pipe, that'll pull some more weight. Some pipes on the 8's will run at high alt with no controller.
Intake.
Injection delete (personally I like oil injection though).
After that, it's alot more $/lb.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Hood foam removal

I left my hood outside in the cold and the foam pads just pulled right off with no residue left to remove. The foam under the clutch cover...another story. I had to scrape and goo-gone it off.

catzr

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Selah
M8 weight loss program

I agree with AZ800, rode the M1000 for 4 yrs, looking forward to my new 011M8, I replaced the can with a Super Q, lost 16 lbs.

Premium Features