• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

installing those goofy doo vents

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Anyone got a good way to cut the holes for those factory doo snap in vents? I cant believe they didnt plan them for a round hole !!!!!:mad:

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I think ill try a 1 3/4 hole saw and they finisg the cut with a dremel. What idiot came up with this?????? Ib the time 1 will take you could have done 5 round holes vents. I might take these back yet. sj

BC-XP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Kamloops
Anyone got a good way to cut the holes for those factory doo snap in vents? I cant believe they didnt plan them for a round hole !!!!!:mad:

I think those Hexagon Holes were on purpose to push people towards buying the DOO side panel with them pre-installed rather then spend multiple hours trying to cut all those goofey holes,

Maybe someone sells a hex shaped punch you can just wack with a hammer to make the holes.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Maybe you could find something steel of that shape....sharpen it and heat it to cut the plastic....just a thought. Time to scour through the hardware stores and scrap yards! :beer;:)

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
punch

ben and i were talking about it the other day, i thought if a person made a punch up and put it on a block of wood you could just use a press and push the punch down, so you dont discolor the side panel. to much work for how big the vent is for me

giddyup

D
Jul 4, 2001
Central Alberta, Canada
Dremmel with a little thin cutter wheel. Make a cardboard template....IE: cut the hole in the side of a cereal box, make sure your vent "snaps" into that hole, then trace the pattern wherever you want on the sled.

F
May 17, 2008
I think ill try a 1 3/4 hole saw and they finisg the cut with a dremel. What idiot came up with this?????? Ib the time 1 will take you could have done 5 round holes vents. I might take these back yet. sj

I asked at the stealership and they told me, they were ment as replacements for the Doo vented side panels. After last weekend in Revy I saw at least three Doo vented panels missing vents I'm glad I didn't buy them.

Take them back if you can.

If you can't I'd glue them in.

O
HEX Hole

I bought $200 bucks worth of these little critters, I can see why people are losing them after installation. The tolerance between snapping them in correctly and the hole being to Large or To Small, is very thin.
This was my idea (even though I have yet to tackle the project AND feel like taking them back as well) I took a piece of 3/4" x .025 Steel Banding and meticulously bent it into a Hex shape, so that it was Dead On perfect with the ID of these stupid vents.
My thought is to HEAT the banding up with a propane torch and PRESS the Banding down through the side panel (Melt it through) for an exact Hexagon Hole. Clean up any Rolled edges/burrs with a Dremel or Straight Blade. Just make sure the O.D. of the Steel banding is exact with the I.D. of the plastic vent and they should stay put. my .02

H
Hex Stock + machinest

I had this same delima and the best I could come up with was a piece of 1.75" hex stock that I had a machinest cut about a half inch thick with a 3.8" threaded hole in the center for a bolt. My plan was to drill a 3.8" hole approximately in the center of where I wanted the vent and then bolt the hex stock from the inside and use a razor knife to cut the hole.

Today I installed two kits and bagged the idea of using a bolt from the inside and instead just used a wood screw through the center hole into the plastic. I then used a blow dryer to heat up the plastic before cutting on it with a razor knife. Even using a good template to cut the holes I still had to do a little cleanup with the knife to get them to fit.

I have to install about four more in the next day or two so I will take pictures of the process. I suppose anything hex shaped that is 1.75" across with a hole in the center and a wood screw would probably make a good template. It took all afternoon to install the eight that I did. The SLP flowrites are a much easier install.

Premium Features