• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

F150 ecoboost thoughts/reviews?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
For those of you pulling trailers at elevation how has your experience with the F150 3.5L ecoboost been? I'm looking to pick one up to drag around a 2 place trailer with a couple sleds(perhaps more in the future). Would there be any cause for concern driving in the mountains say on I-70 through Colorado or would I be better off with the V8 option? I figured with the turbo motor it makes up for the lack of displacement the higher you go.

I've looked at the Ram Ecodiesel and heard there were some fairly significant issues with them. Although I was also told Ford was coming out with a diesel F150 for 2018?

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I have pulled a 2 place out west with my 15 3.5 Eco a few times, I get between 9 and 12 depending on the wind and temp. The truck has plenty of power and pulls better than any other half ton i've used, but if it works hard it will drink fuel. For a half ton I would probably call it the ultimate tow rig.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
it makes most of the torque at 2k rpm. it has MORE than enough power but a said above will drink fuel when loaded. really about the best halfer around. stay away from the first year or two if you can as we all know about new year rigs. 15 up had more power and 17 up had a new 10 speed trans. nothing wrong with the old six speeder tho

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have a super duty crew cab and pull an aluminum four place enclosed. I thought about getting an F-150 and I share some of the same concerns you have. My biggest concern, is the F-150 too light?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I have a super duty crew cab and pull an aluminum four place enclosed. I thought about getting an F-150 and I share some of the same concerns you have. My biggest concern, is the F-150 too light?

No doubt that the F150 can do the job.
What I like about a heavy duty is the ability to run harder when conditions are less than ideal.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
No doubt that the F150 can do the job.
What I like about a heavy duty is the ability to run harder when conditions are less than ideal.
I believe you are right about doing the job.
I guess I am more concerned about the trailer pushing the F-150 around when braking as opposed to my Super Duty which is heavier. Those downhill mountain passes can get some what scary at times for us flat landers. :face-icon-small-hap

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I ran my '12 F150 5.0 supercrew 157" for 4 years towing my 3 place enclosed sled trailer and a tandem axle trailer loaded to a gross of 5-6000#. This setup towed well enough and had adequate power.

I now have a '17 F150 3.5/10 speed supercrew 157" and have towed my sled trailer once and the tandem axle trailer for about 3000 miles this winter packing trees.

The 3.5/10 speed makes an awesome towing package but the 3.5 just doesn't have the displacement for downhill compression braking compared to the 5.0 and I gear down religiously, or automatically in Tow/Haul mode. One concern that I have that I don't have data for is the reduced spring rate/shock valving since the truck has the aluminum body and therefore less sprung weight. This causes some "loose" feeling when the road changes side angles quickly or when there are obvious wheel pad ruts while changing lanes. With a 2 place trailer you may never notice this, but as I drive this truck and mentally put myself in the place of a retired guy towing a camp trailer for long distances I think I would put a set of air bags in the back to firm up the trailer handling.

I got the truck on Jan 31 this year and had very few miles before starting to tow. I was not babying the throttle and had to tow the heavy trailer up and down the hills in the woods and at freeway speeds. When I unhooked the trailer on the last day I was averaging 12.2 mpg. That was 6 weeks ago and my average is climbing up and currently at 17.3 overall. I figure it may settle out in the 18's maybe low 19's but I have a level on the front and taller off road tires.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
I have a 12 and it tows everything I need. Two place, three place, car trailer with a truck, or two rangers on it.

The group I run with out west has two of them and they are the truck of choice to pull out west with. From northern MN to Cooke or Togwotee running on dry roads at 80+ on the interstate average trip fuel economy 10 mpg with three place open trailers.

I was a Chevy guy through and through until this motor. It likes fuel, but what doesn't when you work it?

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Have a 13' FX4 here in CO and pull those passes consistently. For sure the best 1/2 ton tow our group has ever had, doesn't hesitate, handles Eisenhower tunnel as fast as I want with my 8.5x16 enclosed with 3 sleds in it. Millage suffers, but this motor is much more boost than eco. Pull this same trailer every week and average 10-12 doesn't really depend on what is in the trailer, as much as the wind, etc.

Really solid towing 1/2 ton trucks are just great for ;mid-level towing and make for a great daily driver, etc. I would hesitate for a minute picking one up for towing 4-7k trailers

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Have a 13' FX4 here in CO and pull those passes consistently. For sure the best 1/2 ton tow our group has ever had, doesn't hesitate, handles Eisenhower tunnel as fast as I want with my 8.5x16 enclosed with 3 sleds in it. Millage suffers, but this motor is much more boost than eco. Pull this same trailer every week and average 10-12 doesn't really depend on what is in the trailer, as much as the wind, etc.

Really solid towing 1/2 ton trucks are just great for ;mid-level towing and make for a great daily driver, etc. I would hesitate for a minute picking one up for towing 4-7k trailers

Great! Makes me feel a lot better about picking up a decent new truck without adding 10-20k to get a well optioned F250/350. Good to see no one had any horror stories either :D thanks for all responses

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Great! Makes me feel a lot better about picking up a decent new truck without adding 10-20k to get a well optioned F250/350. Good to see no one had any horror stories either :D thanks for all responses
Actually it makes me feel better too! I don't believe the super duty is 10-20k more though. To me it seems like SOMETIMES the dealers want as much money for a used one as they do for the new ones, when you figure in the incentives and warranty that come with a new one. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Aug 20, 2013
North Dakota
I don't personally have one, but my buddy who I ride with does. He has a 13 with the max tow package and the 3:73 ratio in the back. The truck has no problem pulling a 2 place, but as said above it loves to drink. We see about 9mpg with a 2 place aluminum behind it or his sled deck on. We did one time put a 20' load max car trailer on the back of it with 4 sleds and that trip we averaged not quite 7mpg round trip. He has a lead foot, so I would say if you aren't looking to do 80mph like he does the mpg figures I stated will probably go up some. I do think the ecoboost pulls heavier 1/2 ton loads better than the V8's, but from what I have seen the V8's will pull the same loads with better mpg results.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Actually it makes me feel better too! I don't believe the super duty is 10-20k more though. To me it seems like SOMETIMES the dealers want as much money for a used one as they do for the new ones, when you figure in the incentives and warranty that come with a new one. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Set up an F150 how I wanted for 41k. Diesel F250 was 53k as I wanted it. Just looked though, and I am surprised I could do a gasser F250 for almost the same price as the F150... hmmmm

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Set up an F150 how I wanted for 41k. Diesel F250 was 53k as I wanted it. Just looked though, and I am surprised I could do a gasser F250 for almost the same price as the F150... hmmmm

the gasser 250 doesn't have an ecoboost option tho...

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
the gasser 250 doesn't have an ecoboost option tho...

Yeah, I guess I hadn't noticed they had the 6.2L NA engine for the f250 though. Either way I think the F250 is more than I need to either throw a sled in the bed or pull a 2 place. It is annoying though that I can't get a F150 crewcab ecoboost with an 8 foot bed though..

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It would be nice if Ford would either put the EcoBoost in the Superduty or give the 8' bed as an option on the crew cab half ton.

Or both!

I love my ecoboost,
But I think the mileage would be better with the 6.2 in the heavy duty chassis.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be nice if Ford would either put the EcoBoost in the Superduty or give the 8' bed as an option on the crew cab half ton.

Or both!

Update: Twin-Turbo V8 in the new Raptor: The F-150 Raptor will also receive the upcoming EcoBoost 5.0 V8 in 2018

Images of the actual 5.0 Twin Turbo powerplant below

The 2018 F-150 Raptor will become the beneficiary of the coming EcoBoost 5.0 V8, according to insider sources at Ford – and we may even see the V8 make it’s way into the truck for the 2017 debut.

“The Raptor, packaged with the EcoBoost 5.0 V8, will be irresistible – and Ford knows it.”, claims our insider.

“The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, and first made it’s public appearance in the Cobra Jet program in late-2012. The underlying purpose of the EcoBoost V8 project was to power the next-gen GT500. The 5.2L FPC program contributed to delaying the 5.0 EcoBoost program, but this V8 Twin-Turbo program is now on track again, and will make it’s debut in the next GT500 and 2018 F-150 Raptor, and could possibly become a second-motor option for the 2017 model year Raptor”

We are also told that the new 10-speed automatic transmission that will be found in the 2016 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Raptor will be the same transmission utilized in the V8 Raptor, whether it goes on sale as a 2017 model year, or 2018.

Premium Features