• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Tatermobile.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So we started looking at other options. ZR200. Freestyles, which are almost impossible to find. We ran across a 2000 Indy 340 Lite on CL that we actually sold to the guy a few years back. I bought it back. Stock picture, but it looked like this, only with a 1.4 Kitty track on it.

Indy 340 stock.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I installed 97 XC600 spindles (taller), older Poo mountain skis, redrilled the front skid arm mount holes (the template was there), and changed the rear torque arm geometry for more transfer. So it looked like this:

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Since the pics we have cut the windshield down a ton and modded the brake lever so that little hands can reach it in a hurry.
Plans for summer are a long track 136 or 144 conversion, hydro brakes if I can figure out how to bend/reweld the lever for small hands, and some kind of seat. Tater is only 6, his legs are rubbing on the corners of the seat, he is gonna get rashed out. Next year he will probably be ok.
I told him that he could put a couple of chicks behind him with that seat and he seemed a little more ok with it. :)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Good looking project!

Incidentally, I've been wanting to install taller spindles on our Indy Lite but was curious about the application or P/N. Now I know......Thanks!

Thanks!
Actually, it was a total mistake. I wanted the skis off the XC but the bushing bolts were so frozen that I decided to take the whole spindle. They were mounted before I realized how much taller they were. The splines for the arms were the same, just clocked a bit different.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
That's the exact Indy Lite I want for my boy in a few years! I loved the look of those when they came out and never did get that idea out of my mind! I can't wait to see what else you have planned for it! Dragon seat?!? LOL

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The seat has me stumped. I have seen pics of Pro/Dragon seats, but they look silly. I tried to mount a 2002 RMK seat, but not cut out near enough for tank. I was thinking of using the stock seat frame with different foam/cover. Haven't figured it out.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It's a long shot since they are so few and far between but how about something like the Pro-X seats that fit the tank down low and stepped up. You could make your own using that idea. Keep it narrow and low in the front for maneuverability.

Another option is to narrow the seat that's on it so the top is 6-8" wide and tapered to the tunnel edge. And install a set of runningboard risers that will prop him up an inch or two. See these on the Sno-X scene all the time for the younger kids graduating from 120's. Fits inside of the runningboard edge and simply raises the kids up however much you want. An inch, 1.5", 2". Whatever you build basically.

When my brother went to a 440 fan from his 120 the seat literally highsided him. He was bowed out so much. So I built him a seat. Just like I explained. Worked great and gave him great mobility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Good idea. I thought about modding his seat to take the corners off also, as his cover is cracked. The Lite has a HUGE hole in it where the tank goes, there is very little to work with. We only have a few more rides this year, by next year it won't be an issue. Have the summer to think about it. :)

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
This is what I almost ended up doing. Was my prototype phase in the second pic. Took it down 3" I think. Then when he was old enough just added those layers back in and re-covered it.

6e1fcc775302cdb8f782ca150757c4c3.jpg

e7fe1b3c5fbab364f4c2400bae3ba5d4.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Oh nice! Is that a 440 Fanner? Wish I could find those around here. 25? years ago when I lived in Alaska, I worked at a Cat dealership, I remember building a longtracked ZL (I think) for Cory Davis. It was fun in those days, building stuff that nobody made.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Exactly. A '99 Z440 Snopro Fan. We ended up modding it right out. Threw basically everything I knew at it in stages as he got older. Now it sits in a container until my daughter is old enough to ride it. I'm thinking another couple years when she hits 12. My boy will be on it when he's 7-8 by the way he's powersliding his 120 everywhere he goes. And he's barely 4. Lol.

b9acb3c02eeb9c9127befb61bebca087.jpg

24c124994015676bac2615b462a15bef.jpg

262917a1ab10cc5cf7702d7b5b5e7f85.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It's always nice when things turn out better than expected.

BTW, you mentioned on another thread that you narrowed the machine by 3 - 4". Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks!
Actually, it was a total mistake. I wanted the skis off the XC but the bushing bolts were so frozen that I decided to take the whole spindle. They were mounted before I realized how much taller they were. The splines for the arms were the same, just clocked a bit different.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Parts for the Tatermobile. Kinda nice to go out in the parts yard and pick/choose parts. 136 skid out of an 08 Trail, we will pull all the wheels and add HRP scratchers that we pulled off something....old school Polaris 136 1.75 track, I think late 90's RMK. Surprisingly light. Factory Poo tunnel extension that I had on a 98 longtracked XC600 in the yard. Foot rail traction from same sled. Tater wasn't real excited about pulling all the parts, but he is fired up to build his rig!

036.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
On a sidenote, almost got an 05 Cat Z440 LX with 300 miles on it for cheap. Owner came to her senses before selling. :)
We did pick up a 98 Sport 440 with plastic skis and 1.5 paddle, along with an 01 Supersport 550 with 1000 miles. Was thinking of swapping skis and track between them, parting out the 440, the 550 would be a good 14 year old girl runabout. Which I have. Damn. Don't wish a teenage girl on your worse enemy. Bad stuff. Need snow so I can get away......

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It's always nice when things turn out better than expected.

BTW, you mentioned on another thread that you narrowed the machine by 3 - 4". Can you elaborate on that?

Oh crap, I just saw this, sorry!
Took the radius rods off, cut them down, and rethreaded them. Pain in the butt and took a while. I actually had to widen it back a touch from where I wanted it, as the shocks were hitting the bulk at full droop. But as the trailing arms came in, it naturally raised the front end due to the repositioning of the lower shock mount. Worked well.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So anyway, the sled works pretty well, it has a bog on the bottom that I need to address but Tater doesn't care, he already has a half hour or so on it this year in front of my shop. He grew a bunch so the seat isn't an issue.
This is a shot from the last ride last spring, this is actually a tamed down jump. The first time he did it he was a good 2 feet higher and much more laid over, he scared the crap out of me. (And himself.) So he toned it down.

Karhter Air.jpg

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
And on another side note: (Which I am sure we are all concerned about when putting our little guys on big sleds.) Last ride out last year on the way back, Tater and I sent the wife and daughter back to the truck while we took one last rip down the bumps. Couple miles. I was on a 17 ZR6000 SX. Karhter (Tater) got to the end where I stopped without much of a wait on my part. I told him that he needed to chill out or he would get hurt. We headed back and I stopped to wait, he was nowhere to be seen. I waited a bit, was about to go find him and then I heard him coming, his sobs above the sounds of the engine. Little dude went too fast in the whoops, got bucked, hit has face on the bars and bit his tongue in several places, blood dripping off his chin. It slowed him down a bit for sure after that.
SO I was thinking that he needs a mountain bar, but that will hit him in the face even sooner. Maybe a taper bar like a mini bend, then put a mountain bar across the middle like a crossbar?

026.jpg

Premium Features