• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 M7 first ride and have a few questions

A
Nov 23, 2006
Anchorage
I bought a used 2006 M7 ( carb ) that only had 100 miles and took her out for the first time this past weekend. First question is that the sled was leaking a bit of oil out of the pipe on both ends. After riding for about 20 minutes it seemed to stop ( after it made quite a mess of the engine ) any ideas on what caused that ? Next question is what rpm's should this sled be pulling ? I would get a horrible bog at about 6500 rpm on the trail but did see about 7300 on the tack if it was held wot for a bit. What would make this bog ? It had a new belt and new plugs. It does have an aftermarket can on it although I don't know what brand. The track was put in the reverse position and seemed to trench real bad. If I changed it back to stock would that help much ? Dan at the sled shed here in Alaska did 350.00 in clutch work so im guessing the clutch should be dialed in pretty good. It had good throttle response but never felt very powerful.

The bog is what really has me bugged. On the trail having it pinned for a few seconds it felt like my YFZ 450 does when you hit the rev limiter as if it were bogging then surging then bogging again. If I kept it pinned for a few more seconds it would seem to clear and go up in rpms as if it were normal but these were short runs and never had it pinned for more than 4-5 seconds. I am starting to wonder if the guy pulled the speedo to keep the miles down because it seems like a new sled should not be having these issues but im new to Arctic Cat and not familiar with their sleds.

I bought this sled because my Ski Doo Summit seems to always be in warranty ( like it has been the past two weeks waiting on a brand new primary ) and did not want to miss any more weekends. I must say that my rev feels way stronger even without seeing to proper rpms. Also when I was on the trails riding aggressive I felt out of control on this M7. If I was on my Summit I could have went much faster and in more control. I know im used to my Summit but have not really rode it this winter so im not really used to any sled right now so would not think that would be an issue. Maybe this M7 is just not set up very good yet. Should this M7 feel about as strong as my Summit ? Thanks for any input

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
The M7 will never feel equal to your 800 Rev. Even the M8 feels slow compared to the Doo 8. They're very smooth, so you you'll never feel kick-in-pants type power. As for the track, flip it around to the powder position and it will fix the trenching. Enjoy the new sled, they do very well.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
the oil is just from the sled being started and not reaching temp in the pipe. as you saw within a few miles this is no problem. have heard that with a pipe some of the M7 develop that mysterious bog...

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Try to find a stock can. Some of these sleds did not like aftermarket cans. It is a great sled when tuned properly. :D

M
Nov 27, 2007
Proper rpm is 7850 . Sounds like your exhaust valves are sticking or are in need of adjustment i would start there. I ran a mbrp can with no issues . Just because some one did clutch work dosent mean its right not trying to bash your clutch guy but everyone makes mistakes just something to check, good luck . Also check your hours that might help determine if the speedo was un plugged

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
A stock M7 will never feel as strong as the 800 rev. but will go anyware the rev. will. It is not a good trail sled either, but will out boondock the rev. Something is wrong with your sled but it is hard to make an assessment without actually riding it. Check your jetting and oil pump settings. Check you power valves and cables. Check the adjuster nut on the seconday clutch, they sometimes will work out.
should be threaded in will a little less than a 1/2" or thread sticking out.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
like mentioned before they do feel slower than other sleds but they're not, i came off of a poo 700 and i thought i made a mistake for a bit until i rode it for a while. i would check everything like mentioned above, i know mine with the stock jetting if you just putted around and stuff it would load up real bad

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
Something not mentioned......this is a carb model so have you had it rejetted for where you ride or are you still running the jets that the other guy had in it? That bog is right at where the power valves open and you might be jetted to lean (could burn down easily).

Something to check!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Im having the exact same problem with my 03 f7 efi. I checked fuel pressure 48 psi, new plugs,new fuel and filters, sea foam fuel system cleaner, nada still crappen out. L:confused: et me know what you find out.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Your jetting might also be way to rich, that's the way my M7 carb model was. Check you jetting but if you ride 6-9k than I think they recommend 320 main jets. Call Eric at the racinstation and he will help you out.

D
Dec 18, 2007
Tabernash Colorado
Davisoz

I rode a 06 M-7 with a SLP can for 2800 miles before I bought an M-8. Great sled but it did have the low end bog. I put up with it for a long time because I didn't know there was a fix. I just kept my rpm up so I didn't have to jump on it at low RPM. However the fix is to have the dealer pull the control module and send it in for reprogramming. $20.00 fix.

clharris

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
mantorville mn
make sure oil pump is hooked up ,I have seen this come for the dealers with this unhooked & it goes to ful oil when unhooked , fail safe mode

E
Apr 11, 2002
North Idaho
I would recomend straigting the lugs and leaving the track in the hill climb postion. In the powder postion it is worthless. also on all my 7 I ran the track real loose and installed a hps bracket which really helps out the trail ridding but this sled will never handle like a trail sled and it is made for the mountains

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
You have got to be jetted wrong and the oil needs to be set. MY 06 m7 sled runs all over the 07 800 summits two of my buddys have them and they are always dumping money in them trying to get them to keep up with my cat. As for the can you should be fine with running on as you are a carbed sled and the problem childs are the efi with the speedworks can. my sled is stock with a sno stuff can. Dont waste your time on other mods just dial it in good and you will have a heck of a ride. What altidude are you riding

Premium Features