• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clearwater National Forest - Travel Plan Comment Period Ends October 2nd

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
For those of you that don't know the Forest Circus had come out with another DEIS (Draft Environment Impact Statement) and they are pushing a new travel plan that would shut down a lot of public land to any motorized vehicles including snowmobiles. Right now they are excepting comments from the public on the proposed travel plan, the comment period ends on October 2, 2009. Please take a minute to write a short comment, you can email them to comments-northern-clearwater@fs.fed.us and you can access all of the information at http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/Projects/TravPlan/ClwTravel.htm .

I also wanted to inform everybody that there is a meeting this Wed (August 19th @ 6pm) in Orofino at the Pizza Factory between the Forest Circus and the Idaho State Snomobile Association. If you can make it I am sure they could use as much support as they can get. I am planning on attending and will be driving from Lewiston if anybody would like to ride up with me.

Gary Ausman

P.S. don't use the email link that they provide for you on the National Forest website it is incomplete and won't make it to them. When you send in a comment via email you will recieve an automated email confirming delivery.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Good Luck!

After having been through what has happened on the Lewis & Clark Natioanl Forest in Central MT and seeing the crap the FS pulled. I wish you luck! Everyone needs to write to their politicians including state and county levels and governor.....

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
After having been through what has happened on the Lewis & Clark Natioanl Forest in Central MT and seeing the crap the FS pulled. I wish you luck! Everyone needs to write to their politicians including state and county levels and governor.....

Thanks for the reply.

I hope more people realize what we have to loose and speak out before its too late. The problem with these dam tree huggers is if we give them and inch they just keep taking square miles of public land (our land).

I hope everybody that reads this thread will spread the word to those who area unaware.

Last time they came out with a proposed travel plan we sent in enough comments to shut them down and make them go back to the drawing board. I hope we can do the same this time and tell the to stick it up their A**.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
You only have a couple more days.

SAWS Members,

Below is the alert that SAWS sent out August 18 asking for you input on the
DEIS for the Clearwater NF travel plan. SAWS recommended that you support
"Alternative A" in our original Clearwater DEIS Action Alert sent out August
18, and have verified with Forest Service managers that this is a perfectly
legal and valid alternative. Since then new facts, feedback, and lengthy
discussion between SAWS volunteer directors, has resulted in a more precise
equivalent alternative, "Modified Alternative B". SAWS would like for our
membership to include in their comments that the Forest Service has not
demonstrated that an early season forest wide closures is scientifically
imperative to the needs of big game animals during their seasonal migration
to wintering grounds. For all intensive purposes this is saying the same
thing as Alternative A, but adding a challenge to an unproven attempt to
limit snowmobiling. No net loss of riding terrain or season. SAWS finds
either alternative to be acceptable. What is critical, and this has been
repeatedly expressed by the Forest Service Managers, is that you write good
substantive comments in your own words. The comments are what the Forest
Service records and acts on; not the alternative you select.

If you have not sent your comments to the Forest Service please do so in the
next few days. The comment deadline is this coming Friday.

Thanks. Scott

Original SAWS alert:
http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/Action_Alerts/09/SAWS_Action_Alert_-_CNF_Travel_Plan_-_DEIS.htm

Premium Features