• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo intake filter material?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For my turbo setup, on the turbo inlet tube i have the pipe running up and out of the hood with a end on it. this is a picture of it. should i run a filter instead or should i just run a K&N snow charger on it? or maybe 2 snow chargers doubled up just for peice of mind. or maybe just a snow charger over the cover and a small one inside the tube in case the top one is ripped or pulled off?

and input appreciated.
DSCI0815.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I personally run only a pre-filter and the metal mesh for a support. No filter for me. This is inside and outside of the sled.

Dave
how well do the pre filters hold up to bumping trees and stuff? i might order 2 and just keep one in my pack incase things get messed up.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
That's what I'd do, all mine runs is a prefilter cover, running it outside the hood it could get torn up. to me that sounds like the best plan.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, thats what i shall do then, dont need a filter makin the turbo suck for air, its pretty clean out in the winter anyways, just the super deep pow all day. ill run to the store and grab 2 tommorow... then im golden intake wise.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BD kit

The boondocker turbo kit has the filter pretty near where your is, should be OK then?

I think the key is to mount it like you have on a flexible pipe so it will bend out of the way when the inevitable happens.

great project, thanks for keeping us up to speed on it!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, the hole throught the plastic is larger and has some molding around it to allow flex and has that big soft elbow in it and another joint so it will just bend/release if it needs to, like qwhen i mash it into a tree.

D
Nov 26, 2007
FYI-------Do not put 2 prefilters on at the same time. A layer of ice will form between them and your sled will run very poorly.
I think just a prefilter will work just fine in that location.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
FYI-------Do not put 2 prefilters on at the same time. A layer of ice will form between them and your sled will run very poorly.
I think just a prefilter will work just fine in that location.
oh yeah, no doubles, just keepin an extra in the pack as i have been known to interact with trees. with the new found power its gonna be even worse!

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I tried something similar on my iqr and I had a problem with ice forming on the pre-filter because it is contacting the aluminum behind it. I fixed it by spray-glueing a chunk of shopvac filter (which is very breathable) to the aluminum screen then fitting the prefilter over top. The shopvac filter does a great job of insulating the prefilter from the cage and does not really restrict airflow significantly. No ice now and it runs more consistently

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
my thoughts,

- that single filter sont work well in power riding, a turbo will suck in a ton for air that a n/a sled
- the impulse kit uses a filter pod where the gas fill would be, they have to wipe it off alot while riding, not much fun if you ask me
- most 2 smoke kits leave the filter inside the plastics, no you wont fill a HP lose
- you can always tap a second filter pod inside:beer;

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
- you can always tap a second filter pod inside:beer;

Would have to agree with this^
Even on my naturally aspirated sled, no matter what I tried (intake wise), in certain deep pow conditions it would choke for air at times.
All of my intake is in the speedo location behind the windshield. (easily whiped off, but still a hastle and irritating in real deep snow)
I added some intake under the hood, more than what I thought I needed... Right behind my deleted headlights which are now vents... I then started choking that down till I found a good balance.
Probably a 80/20 deal... 80% of my air comes from outside, and roughly 20% draws from under the hood(guess).
Works great in all conditions!
At some point, hot air is better than no air IMO.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
thanks for the thoughts on that one... dont want her to be starving for air on those DEEP days, out of town right now but when i get home i think i will spend some time working on it and see hot i like it, or maybe just drop the filter down a bit.

the total meshed out peice is about 7" long. so maybe drop it down in so about half is inside the sled and half is outside, and then vent my shock tower some, which i had already planned on doing, this way it can draw about 50/50 but even the inside air is more then enough. all it takes is a single hose clamp to move it up and down so i can mess with it depending on conditions, and see how i like it.

and k... very true on the hot is better then none!!!

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
it'll be fine with a precharger cover over what ya got, even if a little bit of snow builds up when you let off it'll fall off and bouncing off trees will help shake it loose.

Premium Features