• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CRANK'N my 06 900

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I have always trusted castrol oil and have never had any problems in my boats through the years, i have also been a victim of the hype caused by dealers the polaris dealer went so far as to say that vs gold is the only oil you can run in my 900 otherwise it will blow. I know better than to believe that bull****,synthetics do have a place i can see it in a deisel engine or your automobile and even a 4 stroke,it is designed for cold startup and to protect the engine during that time till the engine gets warm after that it really has no real benefit IMO. Also in these engines the oil does'nt get changed but every 4000 or so miles and moisture will also develop, other oils gell in the cold making it hard to pick up until it is warm but not a synthetic providing you change regularly. 2 strokes work different either you are mixing in a can or using a injector system so the principal is different,I do believe whatever 2 stroke oil you use should be fairly fresh and there should'nt be a problem. If its that cold out stick your finger in it if its gelled don't start until thawed if you got moisture in it from sitting to long change it imo.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TTT..

this is WAY to informative to let it slip..

just picked up some CITCO sea/snow on clearence from Orilleys (sp?) for $2/qrt.

then later that day stopped by a gas station and BAM..FINALLY found the Castrol T2..

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
t2

:D
How much was the castrol?

i have been getting it at conoco gas stations for between 30-40 bucks a case...it is in single qt white bottles,

but i have seen on the internet the same thing in a green bottle but its called castrol t2 go snow? never seen that in the store-i wonder if it is the same?http://www.parkeryamaha.com/castrolgosnow2toil.aspx

then i went to castrol's website and didnt find 2t go snow as mentioned above but i did find another oil made by castrol.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9021709&contentId=7040927

and on their web site i found the kind i have been running

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9022112&contentId=7040926

so there it is
:beer;:beer;
Andrew

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Ski.

i called a talked to an oil distributor in ID and he said the 2T is discontinued and the EVO X-TRA was teh replacement..the old 2T is a mineral oil, and the X-Tra is a systhetic...not sure whats up with the green bottled one..i found the same thing before..but now know where to get the white bottled 2T..

:)

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Ski.

i called a talked to an oil distributor in ID and he said the 2T is discontinued and the EVO X-TRA was teh replacement..the old 2T is a mineral oil, and the X-Tra is a systhetic...not sure whats up with the green bottled one..i found the same thing before..but now know where to get the white bottled 2T..

Great does that mean I won't be able to get it (2T) much longer?

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
wtf?

Ski.

guido
serious? thats no good, i am trying to run on mineral only, NO SYNTHETIC, per indydan(he's the man), so if this is true i need to stock up or find a new oil! CHIT!:mad:

thanks for the info

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
oils

Great does that mean I won't be able to get it (2T) much longer?

i cant tell you man..i dont want to base it off one guy..he sayd he sold it for a while, then stopped carrying it..so i would have to see what Dan says..i am sure he would have an idea if its going bye-bye..

I know a few places online that have it..just REALLY sucks when you want 20qts an you have to pay for shipping..:eek:

hate to start the rumor mil.

guido
serious? thats no good, i am trying to run on mineral only, NO SYNTHETIC, per indydan(he's the man), so if this is true i need to stock up or find a new oil! CHIT!:mad:

thanks for the info

to be honest..i dont really know the difference between mineral oil and standard petroleum..but yeh what you said..if Dan says it..i follow he guidance..haha..

the gas station i was at said they get it all the time, and would order me more if i wanted to..but cant afford many $5+/qrt

i am gonna try the CITCO sea and Snow and see how that is..Big R carries GALLONS FOR DAYS of that stuff..so its easily accessable..

like i said above..i know some places online that have it..

M

mtibby800

Nov 28, 2007
Idaho
Oil?

Anyone got an opinion on Phillips Injex? I used to run regular injex then switched to injex pro and now with the dragon I have been running the polaris red racing oil due to the dealers recommendation.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
i cant tell you man..i dont want to base it off one guy..he sayd he sold it for a while, then stopped carrying it..so i would have to see what Dan says..i am sure he would have an idea if its going bye-bye..

I know a few places online that have it..just REALLY sucks when you want 20qts an you have to pay for shipping..:eek:

hate to start the rumor mil.

to be honest..i dont really know the difference between mineral oil and standard petroleum..but yeh what you said..if Dan says it..i follow he guidance..haha..

the gas station i was at said they get it all the time, and would order me more if i wanted to..but cant afford many $5+/qrt

i am gonna try the CITCO sea and Snow and see how that is..Big R carries GALLONS FOR DAYS of that stuff..so its easily accessable..

like i said above..i know some places online that have it..

YES GOOD INFO!
basically if the guy who rebuilt my motor and gave me a 3 year warranty on the motor most people wont touch...I would be happy to take his advice:D:beer;:beer; and for the record i dont know the difference in oil past the color and smell, Dan knows what he is up against(polaris:eek:)

Guido, SUN AND POW is all i have to say...lol i will be riding it tomorrow

DID YOU HEAR ME GUIDO?! SUN AND POW
Andrew;)

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Sum info you might like to hear.

Being in the business I am in, of course I get lots of stories............

And normaly don't post customer info.

BUT heres two interesting conversations I had last week.

#1 - From Minnesota, Chris S. - A good Customer that seems very anal and does alot of reading and alot of testing & checking and comparing. He has a 2003 800 Edge RMK - And has ran VES Gold sinse he bought it..........Problem he had was the PTO oil line had big air bubbles in it......He asked a few3 different dealers about it, One said they said they never seen that before, another said the oil pump is bad. He went and bought a brand new OEM oil pump - And he went thru great lengths to make sure it was bled completely - only to have the air bubbles show up again ( what really bothered him was the fact that when he poured VES Gold into his oil bottle he saw air bubbles........And the air bubbles didn't go away......Anytime he opened his oil bootle to add oil was full of air bubbles. He then desided to drain the oil tank and change oil brands, The bubbles went away, And no more air bubbles in the PTO oil line. He then did some research and found out who made Polaris oil. He called lubritech and asked them about the air bubbles........They said they knew about the bubbles and after extensive dyno testing never had a failure ( My questions is...... Was the oil bottle in the dyno room boucing up and down like a sled does in real world useage ) Next they said they change the formula to get rid of the bubbles ( it didn't solve the problem ) He changed back to VES GOLD, The air bubbles in the PTO oil line came back. He said he is draining the VES GOLD and changing brands. ( His test oil was some old Ski-Doo oil )

#2 - From Canada, Tim K. - Bought a new 2009 800 Dragon, told me he drained his oil tank completely the day he got it and filled it with Castrol T2. He just talk to his dealer, his dealer asked him how his was running......He said its runs great, I just pulled my y-pipe and looked at the front of my pistons and they look like new ( not a mark on them ).

The dealer said yours is one of the only ones left running.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i also pulled out as much of that crappy ves gold as i could before ever riding my dragon. i didn't drain the lines because i was too lazy but sucked out 90% of what was in the bottle. only have 500-600 miles on it (just bought i march 2) but the pistons look perfect and it is rippin for a stock sled after the latest reflash. fat as a pig before that but now seems pretty close. (still think it could handle being a tad leaner) the rumor from my "sources" say that polaris knows the VES gold is crap and it isn't even going to be made or sold next year? who know, but it really doesn't matter b/c i would never run it anyway. ignore the sticker, use anything besides gold! well except maybe for amsoil... fwiw.

pv

Premium Features