• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just brought my new pro

R
Feb 14, 2014
Foley MN
Picked up my 2014 800 155 pro this morning. Very nice looking sled. I'm coming off of a Nytro and hope I like the big change

Id be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

Here's a pic!
20140912_093429_zpsyu40gtyz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Congrats. You're gonna love this sled.

Some basic Pro longevity stuff

1) Run the best gas you can find (non-eth if available)
2) Make sure your resistor is set correctly for the gas you are running
3) Turn up your oiler to 40:1 (about 2.5 to 2.75 turns)
4) Check your oil cap for proper venting
5) Follow your break-in protocols
6) Make sure your suspension is set for your RTR weight
7) Warm it up every time (120* or better) before taking off
8) Add some scratchers and run them whenever the snow is thin or hard
9) Route your exhaust solenoid vent tube outside the belly pan

Then ride the piss out of it

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
We bought ours from Bristows. They had the best pricing I could find. Haven't needed service yet, knock on wood.... Nothing to be nervous about, just ride it and if something happens, deal with it. I quit worrying about it. If the motor goes, it goes and I do an 858. Win win the way I see it!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming

Thanks for the good info-
I also bought a new 2014 but a 163 and havent been on a polaris in YEARS-
There are always some great tips from the start but have to dig for hours on here for them - Thanks for the highlights- any other venting- close wires ECT we should look out for?
I need to find out the resistor your talking about ans also look into the TPS correction I have been reading about..

S/C

MTN Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2009
Smithers B.C.
The fuel setting is changed through your guage. Inside the side panel on the left side tells you how to change it, or the owners manual. The resistor was used up to 2012. Congrates on your purchace. :face-icon-small-coo

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
food for thought. as far as the eth mode, it is my understanding that it adds fuel for ETH setting to compensate for the leaner Ethanol, so it wont ping at low elevation. that said since i ride 5500 ft+ i always have mine on non-eth and run 91ETH. plugs look good and runs cleaner.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
food for thought. as far as the eth mode, it is my understanding that it adds fuel for ETH setting to compensate for the leaner Ethanol, so it wont ping at low elevation. that said since i ride 5500 ft+ i always have mine on non-eth and run 91ETH. plugs look good and runs cleaner.

I would eliminate the altitude from the equation, because as far as I know this motor has an altitude compensator providing input to the ECU. Run the appropriate setting for the fuel you are running, regardless of elevation. Unless you are willing to bet your motor on the quality of fuel that the pump SAYS it's supposed to be......LOL

R
Feb 14, 2014
Foley MN
AweSome feedback guys. Pretty stoked to ride it.

The dealer told me to just keep it in ETH setting and that I have to change the weights for running low altitude, should I just follow the diagram in the manual?

I have 6 months to decide on warranty so if I like it ill extend it and not worry about some of the things on the list. Does the oil adjuster have paint on it to show if someone tampered with it.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

The dealer told me to just keep it in ETH setting and that I have to change the weights for running low altitude, should I just follow the diagram in the manual?

I have 6 months to decide on warranty so if I like it ill extend it and not worry about some of the things on the list. Does the oil adjuster have paint on it to show if someone tampered with it.

Where are you going to ride it? If it's in MN I would clutch for that altitude and leave it in ethanol mode unless you can get non-ethanol fuel. Here in Colorado I run it on non ethanol even with ethanol fuel. Altitude makes all the difference as the ECU compensates anyway and runs a little richer.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming

If you bought it from a dealer in your area- part of the purchase is setting it up for where you ride-

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Run 68 gram weights in MN, everything else should be good to go.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Came off of nytros last year to pro 600's and it was night and day difference re handling. Very few stucks compared to the nytro and the pro went places I wouldn't have tried on the nytro. 1000 miles on each sled without issues.
Picked up my 2014 800 155 pro this morning. Very nice looking sled. I'm coming off of a Nytro and hope I like the big change

Here's a pic!
[/URL][/IMG]

Sinister306

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2014
Saskatchewan

Yes thanks for posting a basic starter list as I also just purchased a 14 Pro 800 to ride this year after owning cats all my life, this will save a few people on here hours of searching.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Noob question...How do you check the oil caps venting?

FYI: This is driven by the concern that if the vent gets plugged you'll create enough of a vacuum in the oil tank to slow or stop oil flow into the pump, causing a burn down.

The simplest way to check is to try and blow throw the cap. It should have a small (1/64th?) vent hole. Some guys were drilling this out to 3/64ths or 1/16th to ensure better venting.

The possible negative to this is if your sled is upside down for too long you'll end up with an oily mess under the hood.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
FYI: This is driven by the concern that if the vent gets plugged you'll create enough of a vacuum in the oil tank to slow or stop oil flow into the pump, causing a burn down.

The simplest way to check is to try and blow throw the cap. It should have a small (1/64th?) vent hole. Some guys were drilling this out to 3/64ths or 1/16th to ensure better venting.

The possible negative to this is if your sled is upside down for too long you'll end up with an oily mess under the hood.
Okay, I think I would just with the paaso racing vented cap, I just wanted to know how to check if the vent was good when looking at used sleds. Thanks for the tip!

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT

Here's a pic!
[/URL][/IMG]

I put money down on a 163" from Bristow's last Thursday, small world ! Now to find time to go pick it up. Been on Ski Doo last three sleds, but back to Polaris for now.

Premium Features