• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurt's Polaris Gear Down Kit?

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
i'm sorry i can't give you any helix angle since they are custom from Kurt Polaris. We would have to measure them if possible but i dont have any kind of tool to be precise.

As far as the black/purple spring, i'm very confident it is the same. Maybe Kurt would be honest enough to tell us the truth but i didn't ask.

I didn't know MDS weight were only shinning for only low-mid. I might want to test your theory with some Polaris weight but i'm not sure i can run 70s... Might be more something like 66 to 68... Result should be more holeshot with MDS and more top speed with Polaris weight?

I know that MDS suggested to always put more weight on the tip before putting in the middle. Thats what i did : hex bolt + 2 washer on tip and drilled bolt in the middle. Next step for me would be to swatch the drilled for the non drilled.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Ok... headin to da UP on Friday. Crossing my fingers that the 2.33 gear kit I ordered shows up tmrw.

I know ill have to do some adjusting in the secondary, and have ordered a different helix among other things. For this weekend tho, running the stock setup and thinking that the black purple secondary spring should work pretty good...? I usually run the stock black one at this elevation (1000-1500 ft) but with the gear down I'm thinking the black purple should stiffen up the secondary enough to keep rpm in check? Or should I bring along a pile of other ones to try as well? U guys who've tuned ur secondary clutch, how much stiffer of a spring are you running? I will eventually be running the TRS setup methinks, but not this weekend.

I'm running the Kurt's gear down with TRS's helix and spring and it just flat out rips all day every day. I also feel his bypass thermo is a must to get the clutching consistent.

RKT di with adj rooster weights.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I'm running the Kurt's gear down with TRS's helix and spring and it just flat out rips all day every day. I also feel his bypass thermo is a must to get the clutching consistent.
Love it!! Im trying to adapt TRS set up to low elevation i.e. 1000 feet. Recommendations?

thumper450

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Good so far. 6-10k my poly chain is showing a edge fray at 100 miles. Followed break in to a T .time will tell how much mileage a guy can get out of gates poly chain

Lomark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2012
Western Washington
Ordered 2.33 kit from TKI on Thursday the 8th, they charged my card on the 9th. Emailed once last week to see how the order was going and no response!
Stock 2015' 800.
Maybe I should have called my order in like Turbolover!?

S

snowjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
wyoming
My poly chain separated at 145 miles. I did the full breakin of 100 miles and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I will be calling Kurts this morning and talking to them.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My poly chain separated at 145 miles. I did the full breakin of 100 miles and I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen? I will be calling Kurts this morning and talking to them.

What year is your sled?
Tell me more please.

R

robadoodle

Nov 16, 2012
same thing on my 2015 163 with gear down at 140 miles. followed break in procedure meticulously. snow was real wet/heavy when it blew. hadn't even started to run it hard. does the stock belt hold up any better?

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I sure like the way my sled feels with this kit. I hope these are very isolated incidents.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Poly chain

I have TKI 2.25 in my 2014 163 with 500+miles
Followed Toms recommend break in and no issues what so ever with the poly chain.
Got it pretty warm on some Shute climbing and boon docking and still holding up
Didn't like the 2.42 lower gearing for my riding style just way to low - probably good for the trees / but I don't ride them
Buddies have the 2.33 and cannot tell much difference between the 2.25 vs the 2.33 but shure did dropping to the 2.42 from the 2.25
All of us have had GREAT belt live with the TKI belt included in the kit. :)

Last edited:
S

snowjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
wyoming
Robadoodle, I was in the same kind of snow. Mine just started separating between the two layers. I hope this is just a one time deal and I can get more miles out of my new one. Just hate having to break in another belt for a 100 miles.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Robadoodle, I was in the same kind of snow. Mine just started separating between the two layers. I hope this is just a one time deal and I can get more miles out of my new one. Just hate having to break in another belt for a 100 miles.

You guys have the new wider belt and gears? I only took it easy the first 15 miles and checked for heat and there was none so I ripped on it after that for 700+ miles. All super deep pow though. Haven't got out since the spring time conditions arrived.

R

robadoodle

Nov 16, 2012
the new is 40mm vs 30 on the old(same as stock) i think. don't quote me. from what i can tell this is isolated ( thats why its on here, right). i know curt hasn't blown his yet, and the prof. riders that are endorsing it wouldn't endorse that if they were getting the same results as me. I've been leery of the quick drive and this is why ( and 100 mile break in sucks). but i will say that the whole unit with the gear down is very much nice. pulls harrrrd. can't wait for winter to show up because I'm real interested in what the set up can actually do.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Wasn't the 40 mm kit a little less of a gear reduction and perhaps intended for higher horsepower applications than stock?

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
so...

Both this year's kits come with 40mm belts, the new 2.34, or whatever it is "big" gears, and the original 2.43 tried and true smaller gears, which I run, and it flat fu@kin rips... Not any issues yet, and it got like 7 break in miles, and beat on ever since...

So, does anyone know the specs on the Kurt's green primary spring?

Last edited:
Premium Features