• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurt's Polaris Gear Down Kit?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i was looking for some options.hoping someone makes a kit that was one tooth smaller on top, one bigger on bottom so you could keep the same OE belt. that way the whole group and still carry one spare

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Why bother when you can pay $100 more (in USA) or $200 more(in Canada) and get a TKI kit with a nice tensioner. Simply change the top pulley if you want different gearing. Just look how much more contact the belt has with the pulley. The belt failures are very rarely from the belt breaking rather from stripping teeth off. This will happen at the top pulley where there is very little contact and much load per tooth.

Belt drive Polaris.jpg

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Curious if that belt with the different sprockets will be better than the stock quickdrive belt is for some people. That should tell us if the system needs a tensioner or just a different type of belt.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Why bother when you can pay $100 more (in USA) or $200 more(in Canada) and get a TKI kit with a nice tensioner. Simply change the top pulley if you want different gearing. Just look how much more contact the belt has with the pulley. The belt failures are very rarely from the belt breaking rather from stripping teeth off. This will happen at the top pulley where there is very little contact and much load per tooth.
Less rotating mass.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008

Yikes that belt looks like a spaghetti noodle.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i was looking for some options.hoping someone makes a kit that was one tooth smaller on top, one bigger on bottom so you could keep the same OE belt. that way the whole group and still carry one spare

Sorry, I don't believe this would work. I believe it would still require a different belt. Lets say right now the top is 21 teeth and the bottom is 44 (i don't think that is actually correct but it gets the actual ratio real close) giving you a ratio of 1:2.09. Then you change to 20/45. That is a 4.8% drop in size for the top and a 2.3% increase on the bottom, requiring a slightly different length belt. If it was that easy I think you would have seen a lot of different gearing option by now.

As far as the new setup goes, looks pretty darn clean. I like it regardless if it improves belt life (obviously that would be preferred) just for getting real close to my gearing preference.

PV

N
Aug 20, 2011
i rode with one

Rode the last two days with the kurts polaris gear down kit on a 14 pro155 and 163. Ran sleds all day back to back from stock to clutched, to stock with gear down to, gear down with kurts clutching. The differences were phenominal, the highmarks were ridiculous against the stock sleds. The sprockets are a nice looking black instead of a bare finish like polaris's. Besides the ridiculous arm pump you got from climbing fast and furious, we saw belt temp differences from 10-35 degrees cooler on kurts belt than stock and the clutches ran 30-60 degrees cooler than with the stock polaris system. and 90 degrees cooler than the assault pvt belt. No doubt a serious game changer

H
Nov 26, 2007
MISSOULA MT
13-14 PRO RMK QUICKDRIVE GEAR DOWN KIT

KIT INCLUDES:

NEW UPPER AND LOWER HARD COAT ALUMINUM SPROCKETS
8mm GATES POLY CHAIN CARBON BELT

½ POUND LIGHTER THAT STOCK

TAKES YOUR PRO FROM FACTORY 2.09 TO NEW 2.41 RATIO

CALL KURTS POLARIS FOR MORE INFO AND ORDERING
406-541-3651 OR 406-677-2833 TUESDAY-FRIDAY 9-6 MST SATURDAY 9-5
WWW.KURTRSPOLARIS.COM

Give us a call, we would love to talk about this kit.

P
Aug 18, 2009
Kurt's Polaris Pro RMK gear down kit

Keith Curtis here.... after an entire day of testing Kurt's Polaris gear down kit on the 2014 PRO RMK here is what I found.

There were two sleds I tested. One was a 2014 PRO RMK 163 bone stock and there was another 2014 PRO RMK 163 with the Kurt's Polaris Gear down kit.

The strongest selling point of the gear down kit is belt cooling. After using a temperature laser gun the bone stock sled's drive belt and quick drive belt were anywhere from 40-90 degrees hotter after pulling the same side hills as the sled with Kurt's gear down kit.

The gear down kit also offered much quicker acceleration and the track speed was incredible while cutting across gnarly side hills!

In the end, Kurt's Polaris gear down kit works like a dream and it will extend the life of both belts by keeping the belts running cooler, plus adding performance to an already awesome sled.

Regards,

Keith

P
Aug 18, 2009
Keith Curtis here.... after an entire day of testing Kurt's Polaris gear down kit on the 2014 PRO RMK here is what I found.

There were two sleds I tested. One was a 2014 PRO RMK 163 bone stock and there was another 2014 PRO RMK 163 with the Kurt's Polaris Gear down kit.

The strongest selling point of the gear down kit is belt cooling. After using a temperature laser gun the bone stock sled's drive belt and quick drive belt were anywhere from 40-90 degrees hotter after pulling the same side hills as the sled with Kurt's gear down kit.

The gear down kit also offered much quicker acceleration and the track speed was incredible while cutting across gnarly side hills!

In the end, Kurt's Polaris gear down kit works like a dream and it will extend the life of both belts by keeping the belts running cooler, plus adding performance to an already awesome sled.

Regards,

Keith

BlowinSmoke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Frenchtown, Montana
The new gear down kit we tested today is a ratio of 2.41 combo. That is currently the only available combination for this system. It produced significant temperature drop in both the primary/secondary drive belt and as Keith stated in his prior post a 30 - 40 degrees to the quick drive system.

Now many will be quick to state that is way to low of a gear ratio but we have tested many sleds side by side. This gear down system will keep your pro motor pulling consistent RPM's whether your taking deep powder pulls up hill, or tree flossing your way across a hillside. We even made multiple speed passes side by side with a stock pro 163 to Kurt's Polaris geared down pro 163 sled and found them to be vary close. Kurt's geared down pro had a much faster hole shoot and very snappy throttle response making quick rpm increase. (Almost like having a pipe).

I hope this answers a few of your questions.

Premium Features