• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" Track for the Pro

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
MR: HRT
You are the only one referring to arguing.
You want to get back to topic how about answering some very simple basic questions! You made the statement "There is very little, if any, difference in snow evacuation/track clearance between stock drivers/stock track and 7 tooth drivers/3" track."
I asked: How did you MEASURE this??? Lets deal with FACTS !!
Where does all the air concussion and snow go?? With extremely small clearance between track and tunnel.
Why are guys dropping 9 to 21 mph track speed?
Your serve.

Haha...you should really record the things you say, because you are the only one stretching any truths.

You informed another one of my friends on the same principal when he did the same mod to his doo (without his asking of your opinion). And...you talked another buddy into a CE 2.5 instead of a 3" X3 using the same scare tactics...and all the 3" X3's sleds now ride circles around him (so he now regrets his TC INFORMED buying decision) These are only people that are close to me, so who knows how many more their are. Bottom line is facts are facts...and the 7 tooth w/3" X3 flat out rips and is without issue under normal mountain riding situations. I can see problems with the old style 3" CE w/ 7tooth, but that isn't the topic at hand.

You can measure as best you can, but it's nearly impossible to get all the way around the track. So, in this case, it is easiest to do the math. Stock 8 tooth are 7.125" diameter vs 7 tooth avid at 6.25" diameter which brings you to a difference of .4375" in radius. So when you take into consideration the difference in track paddle height you lose 1/16"-1/8" of evac clearance...which is very minimal IMO, and definitely not the factor in 9-21 mph loss of track speed. My bet the loss is a result of 2 major factors; 1)clutching 2)speed loss due to more track drag in the snow. For me...I don't use track speed as a sole measure of performance, as the increase in traction enabled by the 3" IMO far makes up for any loss in track speed. Track tension to factory spec is also very crucial!! My .02

Last edited:

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Originally Posted by JoNEs34
Well you have two "easy"options.
Buy/install 7 tooth 3"pitch power claw style drivers from avid or wahl bros. In this case I would go with avid drivers.
Wahl Bros. DO NOT have a driver as of today for the 13 & 14 Pro driveshafts.

Wahl bros makes hex style drivers in all sorts of sizes so I just assumed.Wouldnt recommend them regardless.

Also I noticed when my x3 came in I was reading the warranty of the track and it states that all tracks have a 2 year warranty from defects. But any ported tracks by camoplast(#1) only have a one year warranty from date of first shipment.
According to my Camoplast warranty contact the 1 year warranty is ONLY ON CAMOPLAST PROCESSED PORTING. NOT anyone elses porting.

Yeah that's what I said...

There really is a lot more ways to go about it but these are just the easy options with the belt drive pros. And I'm jealous because I wish it would have been that easy for me. Good luck!
Thanks

Thanks for informing...

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
I couldn't agree more Dave...........

However, from the "glass is half full" perspective it certainly gives us some insight as to the type people we may be dealing with should we be in the market for a track. :face-icon-small-dis

Agree! I can't complain, dealers like Carls, Avid, and Iceage have been great to deal with for my conversion. All 3 will hook you up with their own 3" X3 package.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
A few questions.

I would like to try a X3 but I do some trail riding in WI when I am not out west. Is there a cheaper common track that I can swap out with 9270MCP (The center port Polaris X3) when I'm not out west?
Or should I just run 9270M and put different (non center port) drivers on and switch back and forth with an cheap/used attack 20/powerclaw 2.25? Would I have to trim my rails if I went this route?
What's the advantage of the center port?

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado

If your wanting to not cut your rails you'll need this.

2013/2014 7 tooth 3" pitch.

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=155
These are sold as a package
IMG_20130328_193146_607.jpg

And this:

9220MCP

http://www.tracksusa.com/Challenger-X3--Challenger-Extreme-3-detail.htm?productId=-438705&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

ee4b2b35-75d6-45a1-a7e6-09adfb4e04ef.jpg

For cutting your rails you'll need this:

2013/2014 shaft, 7 tooth, 3" pitch

arric%20101.jpg

2 of those

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=132

And This:

9220M

http://www.tracksusa.com/Challenger-X3--Challenger-Extreme-3-detail.htm?productId=-438705&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

ee4b2b35-75d6-45a1-a7e6-09adfb4e04ef.jpg

And This:

https://www.avid-products.com/store/ProdDet.cfm?ProdID=150

Call Robbie at Avid Products. He will more than likely put everything you need together in a package.

Or Carls Cycle in Idaho

Or Iceage Performance in Montana

Hopefully im right on everything. If not Tracks Canada will point it out :face-icon-small-win

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
GG, the advantage of the center port is no rail cutting and no anti-stab kit. A better setup in my opinion. I am running the x3 that way. Of course, you have to buy the drivers. One suggestion for swapping is having two driveshafts (7 tooth drivers for the x3 and 8 tooth drivers for the stock track). Some of my friends are doing just that. Since I couldn't unload my 163" track, I may do the same.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
To confirm, from Avid:

The parts list would include

(2) 7 tooth, 3" pitch Driver
(1) 156x15x3 track Camoplast (2970M) track

This would require NO cutting on the rails...

Anyone have a bill-of-materials for the clutching recommendations and parts?

I believe with shipping mine was just over $300 for the clutch kit. Came with a team helix, gold black secondary spring, belly buster weights, and a new primary spring (team lime green.) Primary spring is just personal preference and not needed for the track kit. Just a good time to buy a new one since you'll be in there anyways. :face-icon-small-win

T

TracksCanada

Nov 26, 2007
Call Robbie at Avid Products. He will more than likely put everything you need together in a package.

Or Carls Cycle in Idaho

Or Iceage Performance in Montana

Hopefully im right on everything. If not Tracks Canada will point it out :face-icon-small-win

I agree, all good companies to deal with!

Good "shot" JoNEs34 LOL

T

TracksCanada

Nov 26, 2007
Haha...you should really record the things you say, because you are the only one stretching any truths. You must have experience with police & lawyers they always say "deny, deny, deny" !! LOL
you talked another buddy into a CE 2.5 instead of a 3" X3 using the same scare tactics...and all the 3" X3's sleds now ride circles around him (so he now regrets his TC INFORMED buying decision) What and your influence couldn't convince him over to your side ??? What kind of a friend is that ?? People ask questions and I answer based on my knowledge and experience. What they buy OR NOT BUY is their own decision. I don't hold a gun to anyone and make them buy anything. Your accusation is nothing more than fiction !!!

You can measure as best you can, but it's nearly impossible to get all the way around the track. So, in this case, it is easiest to do the math. Stock 8 tooth are 7.125" diameter vs 7 tooth avid are 6.25 NO THEY ARE NOT, THEY ARE 6.417" right from Robbie in a e-mail !! which brings you to a difference of .4375" in radius. Your math is wrong! Try again.So when you take into consideration the difference in track paddle height you lose 1/16"-1/8" of evac clearance...which is very minimal IMO, OH, there's opinion again! and definitely not the factor in 9-21 mph loss of track speed. 1)clutching You have FINALLY come up with something good!! 2)speed loss due to more track drag in the snow. NOT EVEN MEASURABLE !! Call your personal contact in Camoplast engineering like I have for the answers. You do have that contact right?? For me...I don't use track speed as a sole measure of performance, as the increase in traction enabled by the 3" IMO far makes up for any loss in track speed. Yes that must be it. Well don't tell the guys who tried the 7 tooth 3" combination last few seasons BOTH DOO and POL and are now extending and installing 8 tooth drivers. And it's not just me NOW selling this upgrade.

Your serve.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Rode some heavy and deep this weekend! Pulling 41-43 (actual) mph track speed and was running in the peak HP RPM range with the 156" X3, 7 tooth Avids, Carls Clutching and a RK Rev 1 Drop-in Kit. My combo was out performing a sled with RK Tek 858, clutching and a stock 163" track. There was 2 other X3's and 7 tooth equipped sleds (one of which was a 162) and all of them were working great!

The combo works REAL well!!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Any of you people try the x3 on harder pack snow, or spring like conditions ? How does it compare to the stock in these types of snow.

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Any of you people try the x3 on harder pack snow, or spring like conditions ? How does it compare to the stock in these types of snow.

Rode mine last Sunday and it did great. I think the only time it won't outperform stock would be trail racing and riding on ice. And you should avoid both of those at all costs!

Last one to the truck has to buy first round. I'm now that guy. But that's the price you pay to spank on the hills all day.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Great info guys!!! Just got done catching up and reading through the posts.

I had a standard X3, drivers and an anti stab last fall ready to go but ended up selling it to see some more results with the new center punched X3. After reading up, I'm pretty sure, a new center punched X3 will be going on this summer!!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Is there any performance gain or cooling better between the X3 none port or the carls ported?

Premium Features