• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Drive Shaft Poll

2013 Drive Shaft Failed/Not Failed Poll

• Over 50 Miles, No Problems

Votes: 143 31.4%
  • Under 50 Miles, No Problems

Votes: 52 11.4%
  • Over 50 Miles with Fix

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Under 50 Miles with Fix

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Blew with less than 50 Miles

Votes: 36 7.9%
  • Blew with more than 50 Miles

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • Have no ridden yet

Votes: 198 43.4%

• Total voters
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Hahahahahaha it just brings back so many good memories from the engine poll threads.:face-icon-small-win

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea and hope people respond with integrity.
Good luck to all affected. Hope you get back on the snow ASAP!

I

IEATSRT

Oct 20, 2012
Ya not sure how well this will work with the doo guys gunning for the pro and lurking about. It isn't as bad here as it is over at snow and mud. At any rate hopefully the thread gets respected and we don't see too many fabricated votes.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I voted that mine blew in 220 feet. I don't have it yet, but I think that's probably fair right????:face-icon-small-ton

Funny... only the poo guys think people "fabricate" votes to make them look bad, must be all those illegal mexicans coming onto SW right???:face-icon-small-sho

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
Right now 58 sleds reported with actual miles on them, and 8 failures, 13.8% failure rate. I'm sure the number will rise, IMO.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
34 miles on a 155, no problem.

38 miles on a 163, no problem.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Right now 58 sleds reported with actual miles on them, and 8 failures, 14% failure rate. I'm sure the number will rise, IMO.

You really think the failure rate will rise? That seems like an awful lot already. I'd think we'd probably see more get on the snow & the percentage would drop a bit.

I'll probably just put an assault shaft in mine.. quick simple fix. I'm not so much worried about the kind of failure we're seeing here, but I'm concerned about how much impact that assembly will take. I tend to hit stumps 7 rocks here & there, and I think the shaft that the pro has had the last 2 years will work just fine for me, that's not a spot I need to take chances on imo.

D

D-money

Sep 10, 2009
Wenatchee
I put almost 100 miles on mine this weekend in 4 ft of powder, there was a 13 turboed pro with us and he had no issues. Sled ran amazing truely unbelievable in the trees my buddy on his 12 was having a hard time keeping up! I wouldnt worry about the saft.im sure some are going to break, but not from design but from flaws in the adhesive. O and sled has about 130 miles on her now:face-icon-small-hap

I

IEATSRT

Oct 20, 2012
I would be willing to be that we will see higher percentage numbers of failures here than are actually occuring. I say this because when something goes wrong 99 out of a 100 people get on the internet and google it. I would imagine there are still loads of people out there some who have ridden and some who have not ridden their 13 pros that are unaware of any problem. Point in case talked with another 13 pro owner on saturday and he was completely unaware of any drifshaft issues, and this is the biggest sled head guy I know. Guy lives and breathes sledding. At any rate I think it has gone on long enough that it is time we at least hear something from Polaris corporate. I mean they have to know this is hurting them. I don't expect to have a solution all figured out yet but if they at least acknowledged the problem to the masses and let the boys know they were working on it, would aleviate lots of the stress and tension. Word is supposed to hear something tomorrow so we will see what that brings....

K
Oct 21, 2012
3 pros out last week end. All put 50 miles on. Zero issues. Ran great and spanked the new Cat in the trees. 550lbs cat dosent boondock like the pro.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
In this poll 12 out of 75 riders have had failure.

That doesn't count how many people have multiple riders in their group who didnt' vote or don't use SW.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
As far as statistics go, I would believe that the sample (SnoWest Users) is a pretty good indication of real world numbers. I think I see around 19% of those that have ridden have had a problem. Now that is a pretty good reason to issue a recall if I ever saw one.

clyde62960

Lifetime Membership
Drive Shaft Glue

Just found out that Polaris had a problem with the glue mixture that was used on some sleds when they put the drive shafts together
You can flip your sled on its side and looking at the drive shaft there is a small weep hole on both sides --there is a small amount of excess gray glue --if the glue is hard you are good to go --if the glue is soft you have a problem

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
Ok, what do we use to gauge whether or not the glue is too soft??? If you know this through some friend at polaris, what are they going to do about it? Or, are you just full of chit???

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I would be willing to be that we will see higher percentage numbers of failures here than are actually occuring. I say this because when something goes wrong 99 out of a 100 people get on the internet and google it. I would imagine there are still loads of people out there some who have ridden and some who have not ridden their 13 pros that are unaware of any problem. Point in case talked with another 13 pro owner on saturday and he was completely unaware of any drifshaft issues, and this is the biggest sled head guy I know. Guy lives and breathes sledding. At any rate I think it has gone on long enough that it is time we at least hear something from Polaris corporate. I mean they have to know this is hurting them. I don't expect to have a solution all figured out yet but if they at least acknowledged the problem to the masses and let the boys know they were working on it, would aleviate lots of the stress and tension. Word is supposed to hear something tomorrow so we will see what that brings....

I agree.

Sam

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
What really sucks with that failure rate on this poll is that 12 or 13 people out of that 78 not ridden yet, will most likely have a failure when they head out to finally get that first ride in. I am one of those 78, and I don't like those odds.

Premium Features