• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

another shaft failure

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My limited exposure to the "glue" Polaris is using is that it is brittle. I had to remove some squeeze out to install a bracket and it shattered when tapped with a punch. If it is brittle it will not survive in an application that flexes.
I can see using this adhesive in various parts of a sled to eliminate movement between parts that are bolted or to reduce the size or number of bolts/rivets necessary to carry the loads.
I get to see and test some of the most advanced adhesives and bonding technologies that exist. I would not glue a driveshaft....at least not as the sole means of holding it together but it would be beneficial in conjunction with a mechanical means of retention.
Does anyone know FOR SURE if the insert is a interference fit and if the glue is there for structural reasons OR is it there to reduce electrolysis? In aircraft it is used more for corrosion issues between dissimilar metals than for structural strength.
I would prefer a little more weight and something dependable.
Would you glue a clutch to a crankshaft?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Not a fun way to end your first ride on a brand new $12000 machine... Be nice to hear something from polaris.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Kinda glad now it has been a slow start to the winter out west!!! Maybe I will know if there is going to be a recall before I head out west.
:jaw:

P
Jan 2, 2011
isolated issue

Must be an isolated issue I was @ Brundage ( McCall Id) their was 7 new pro's in the parking lot all made it back from a days ride with no problems.
I sure feel for the people that are having problems.

brundage 024.JPG

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
Couldnt a guy just run some self tappers into the joint or even drill a hole and run a bolt through there to hold the pieces together?

I have an iq driveshaft lying here (did anyone figure out what years will work/dimensions before I tear mine apart?) but I dont feel like buying new drivers if I dont have to...

EDIT: from a post from mountainhorse in a different thread---
"Note: The 2006 - 2010 IQ RMK/Dragon shafts will NOT fit into this application (too long)...SSABMUD DID successufully install a 2005 900-IQ shaft into his 2013... but also needed a new bearing on the non-drive end and new drive sprockets for the 2.86" pitch tracks on the newer sleds."

Last edited:

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Couldnt a guy just run some self tappers into the joint or even drill a hole and run a bolt through there to hold the pieces together?
here's one from snow and mud, dude drilled 6 holes and used some kind of solid stainless steel rivets to stop it from breaking on a boosted pro. didn't work

pooshaft3.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My limited exposure to the "glue" Polaris is using is that it is brittle. I had to remove some squeeze out to install a bracket and it shattered when tapped with a punch. If it is brittle it will not survive in an application that flexes.

Paul... many on here are assuming that the adhesive is the same Acrylic adhesive that is being used in the chassis assembly. This may not be an accurate assumption.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I know I am stating the obvious here.... but that last pic is a great view of the cause of this failure.....it's simply not enough "MEAT". 1/2-5/8" of contact area on aluminum??? Really Polaris??? I certainly hope this was a simple case of a misplaced decimal point when they drew up the parts. That insert should extend in several inches AND have a steel retainer/reinforcement band of some sort around the assembly to ensure it cannot work loose.
There is NO advesive that will make aluminum stronger...it's simply a case of strong material tearing through the weaker material....a piece of .050" (or whatever it is) aluminum is only going to take "X" amount of load.
Why Polaris hasn't addressed this by now (at least in writing) is a little odd. I have seen "no ride" safety bulletins issued for lesser problems.
I hope they get a fix for everyone soon....for the driveshaft AND the belt. These things cost too much $$ and winter is too short to deal with this crap.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
My dealer had a boosted '13 Pro on a track dyno for 150 miles. Worked the crap out of it. Took it on the snow to test it and the driveshaft puked in 40 feet. Steady high loads aren't the problem it is the shock loads that are going to grenade these shafts. I think every one is a ticking time bomb.

bosssho

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2010
Ticking time bomb or not...how Polaris has NOT actually come out and acknowledged there is a potential safety issues is beyond comprehension at this point...Really hoping they come out with a redesgined shaft asap that is NOT set up to fail like one with a 95% webbed/reinforced shaft getting capped by two half a$$ed 1/2" non-reinforced end pieces....REALLY?????:jaw::jaw::jaw:

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
If polaris does try to fix the problem (redesign) versus just replacing every shaft that fails with another glued shaft (most likely outcome), then you can expect redesign time, manufacturing time, and distibution time. So you can expect a new part next year! I predict we will not see any new redesigned part this riding season!

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
If polaris does try to fix the problem (redesign) versus just replacing every shaft that fails with another glued shaft (most likely outcome), then you can expect redesign time, manufacturing time, and distibution time. So you can expect a new part next year! I predict we will not see any new redesigned part this riding season!

This is true

Our research has evidence that the outer extrusion wall is "bowing" out and this is causing a fracture and then failure.

It is very difficult to have a hex spin inside of a hex .. VERY difficult. The outer wall has to give out before the endcap can spin and cause failure.

So, if one can keep the extrusion from "giving" and allowing the end cap to "break out" then you are much better off.

The kit we offer will re-enforce this outer wall greatly.. There is no doubt about this.

EVEN if the end cap does find a way to rotate, as long as the extrusion does not fail, the shaft should not drop. So, damage will be reduced and the sled will be more easily towable..

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
As soon as that aluminum hex shaft begins to deform ever so slightly (from the twisting force of the steel insert in both directions...throttle/brake)....at this point, ALL the force is being placed at a single POINT at the tip of of the hex of the inner steel insert. The force is no longer being distributed over the entire surface area and you basically have 6 single points of force at however deep that insert is (1/2-5/8"??). At this point the shaft WILL eventually crack. Comparing this design to items I have helped test over the years, I cannot see how this could NOT fail given the types of force it will see. :face-icon-small-dis
RKT's idea looks to me like it would greatly help the longevity of this failed design.

Premium Features