• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avids ratcheting Nytro Timbersled??

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
you have plenty of driver clearance, so that is not an issue...

Your rail caps, are clearly getting worn...they are shiny, and you can see the rub marks on them....

An antiStab kit is wheels on the front that will stop the track from wrapping around or bending around the front...which in this case might seem like ratcheting....

Is the ratcheting happening when you are on and off the throttle in pow?

Here is a pic of my antistab kit on my skid...what happens with the dynamic nature of the timbersled is, it is allowing the track to bind/pinch...which is exasperated due to the engine braking, and the more flexible single ply tracks (powerclaw)...

Here is the pic...

IMG_0255800x600.jpg

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Avids ratcheting Nytro Timbersled.

Your pictures show the problem. The only way the ends of the anti-ratchet points can turn black is from rubbing on the black plastic on the rail tips. I don't think that you are ratcheting at all. The leading edge of the anti-ratchet points would be wearing off and rounding over. I think that you are feeling the drivers hitting the rails and thinking that your track is ratcheting. You need an anti-stab kit. You can prove it to yourself by unhooking your shocks and springs. Move the suspension thru its full travel and I'm sure that the tips are hitting in some position.

E

evil1

Aug 7, 2008
fort mcmurray, alberta,canada
just my opinion, but those need to be centered in the windows...your possibly picking up "ratcheting" from the track moving and snapping into the window...

I have basically the exact setup on my nitro,,162 c.e. is the only difference and i have had no trouble,,i hardly run tension at all,,,i'm with mtdream those should be center better,,when ya lay it on its side and it starts ya say my be and indication of this also,,the drivers might be trying to climb

T

TApeX_07

Robbie, I dont think there is ANY way that the skid cycles forward 4" in any way shape or form. The black is mostl likely from the track not being fully clipped and its melting the rubber some. As the skid couples it swings to the rear and helps keep track tension. Im thinking its a combo of the Avids bending over and the track hitting the rail caps.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
When you installed your Avid drivers....did you clock them properly? I run a 162 PC with regular style Avids w/clipped nubs and have never ratcheted under boost. Not to mention, I have much less contact surface from drivers to the track then you do.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Robbie, I dont think there is ANY way that the skid cycles forward 4" in any way shape or form. The black is mostl likely from the track not being fully clipped and its melting the rubber some. As the skid couples it swings to the rear and helps keep track tension. Im thinking its a combo of the Avids bending over and the track hitting the rail caps.

Regardless, the solution we all are pointing to is anti stab kit....

Clearly those rail caps are getting wear, and IMHO that is what is causing the ratcheting feel.... I north of 1000 miles on my boosted nytro never once ratcheted, but then again I also did not ride 1 mile without having anti stab....

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Problem Solved!

Ok, so I replaced the power claw avids with just the regular avids and clipped the little nubbings on the track. Also installed the anti ratchet shaft. Problem is solved, I am 99% sure it was the drivers (extro part) flexing. As mentioned before my rails were no where close to the drivers and did not have issues with stock drivers. Even looking at the anti stab I dont think it will be of much value on my set-up but is extra insurance as you never know. So I guess I may have just had a bad set that flexed (persoally I think the extros should be solid down to the hub for strength on this design) as I am the only one who apparently had this issue but I am glad Avid replaced these as I can get on a spring ride now!

This is the ones I had on.
IMG-20110312-00745.jpg

These are what I went to.
SAM_3538.jpg

Thanks!

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
What track/sled are the avids in the first pic for? Never seen that kind before. Have always used the avids in the second pic and never had a ratcheting problem on 4 sleds 3 with turbo.

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
The first ones are designed for the power claw track and the nytro axle. These are th ones I had issues with. The second pic ones are what I have now and work great, Although there is a bit of a vibration now but I think it may be th nubs I cut off the outside edge of the track, I did not grind them all flush, may need to do that.

T

TracksCanada

Nov 26, 2007
Ok, so I replaced the power claw avids with just the regular avids and clipped the little nubbings on the track. Also installed the anti ratchet shaft. Problem is solved, I am 99% sure it was the drivers (extro part) flexing. As mentioned before my rails were no where close to the drivers and did not have issues with stock drivers. Even looking at the anti stab I dont think it will be of much value on my set-up but is extra insurance as you never know. So I guess I may have just had a bad set that flexed (persoally I think the extros should be solid down to the hub for strength on this design) as I am the only one who apparently had this issue but I am glad Avid replaced these as I can get on a spring ride now!

This is the ones I had on.
IMG-20110312-00745.jpg

These are what I went to.
SAM_3538.jpg

Thanks!

It may have been mentioned before, the small drive knobs right beside windows of track have to be trimmed off. So you cut every other one off, same has to be done with the new style Camo Extremes.
You did not need to change drivers, nothing wrong that I could see in the pictures.
As said on here your rail tips under full compression of skid were touching driver tips.

Extrovert drivers are only "fully"effective about 25% of the time. This is under full throttle max load (usually climbing) The other 75% of the time they drive on the inside drive lugs. eg: riding trail up to play area of mountian.

Just my .02 cents.

prototype69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Belgrade,MT
Brutis, I am going from stock to the regular style avids as was your fix. Wondered if you had a pic of these nubs you cut of and if you are still having good luck with this. I am just looking at these and seeing that they have hardly any drive suface as compared to the artic cat specific drivers. Any body else running this set up??

Brutis20

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
"Winning answer here!!!! A++"

I am sorry but wrong answer here. It was this type od comments that led me astray last winter. The tips could not even possibly touch the drivers, I collapsed the suspension and tried in every way. I hate to dissapoint you but It was 100% the Power Claw avid drivers. Just read the posts, I did everything with antistab and shock adjustment, track adjustment, and no luck, it would skip horribly, it never even did this with stock drivers. I went back to the regular style Avid driver and I could actually slack the track off a pile and still would not skip. Anyway the PC avids definatley were flexing, they could have been a bad set but they flexed. If you see in the pic, when I had the driver off in a vise I would put a crecent wrench on the extro and it would not take much to flex, the entire extro and part of the intro would even flex. I did this ith the regular ones and they did not flex at all. i know for a fact this was the problem. Some may disagree but I would just go with the regulars.

You can see the small outer nubs next to the windows in this pic before I clipped them. As you can see from when I had the PC drivers they did not need to be clipped. Once I run the regular style avids the outside of the drivers would ride ontop of these nubs, hence needing to cut them off. They are super easy to clip and I would strongly recommend going this route with the regular style drivers. I clipped them and there was about a 1/16th" left, I will probably grind down one day but it has worked awsome since (400 miles). also noticed that the regulars did not get blackened like the PC ones did (from slipping).

Avids4.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features