• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Gizmo

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried the SLP coolant bypass kit for the heads on D8s?

I thought that was a bit pricey at $19.95 for a nozzle, a "T" and a couple of short hoses and clamps, but if it helps with coolant flow thru the head I might have to pry open the wallet.

T

Tanman

Mar 23, 2009
Ketchikan , AK
This is brought up like a big hox to me. The theory behind it seems ok, but not really knowing even what this kit 100% includes and does to your coolant routing is kinda fishy. and Who is redneck racing? if it was SLP or HP selling this as a truely revolutionary and needed item I would be more inclined to believe them. also brought up is how Polaris might have thought about engine cooling when building our sleds... they have been doing this for a while now. IDK just MO. If it truly works it will catch on

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Well this is my take on this. If you are too impatient to let it warm up and are riding really varying conditions this might help.
I always let my sled warm up and baby it along until it hits operating temps, whether I stopped for lunch or right off the truck.
I have ridden with a couple guys that think its race time right out of the parking lot. This is a sloution that only needs fixin fo those that don't know how to operat the thing to begin with.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
This won't help the knuckleheads jamming on a cold motor out of the lot.

Just avoids the cold rush hitting a heat soaked motor after a stop. Which can't be avoided with a warmup at restart - they state the cold cooler air hits the head 5 seconds after startup.

True or not, cause or not, I have no idea. Interesting concept. More extensive testing than 1 sled would be in order, in my mind. Or don't stop riding. Or don't restart until the motor is cold. No lunch, or long lunch!

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
the idea is there but in the end its all about knowing how to ride and how to keep temps low. Theres a temp guage on your cluster for a reason you wouldnt hop in your truck and run the shiit out of it climbing up a pass and bring it up to high temps then just shut it down and expect to not have any problems. People jump on these sleds and run the piss out of them in the trees and climbing then shut the engine off right as they stop and wonder why they have engine problems just use common sense :pound:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I think that with all of the piston issues that I've had with my 800, that they should give me one, if it works they will have the best advertising that money could buy. Right now I'd be pretty skeptical that it works as well as claimed.

I don't see the motor getting blasted with cold coolant after sitting for a little while. Sure the motor will be hot and the T stat will allow cooler coolant to flow, but as soon as the T stat cools, it's going to close off again and maintain closer to constant temp. I will be paying a closer attention to coolant temp now to see if these super low temps actually happen.

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
so basically if you let your sled idle to cool off rather than just shutting it off you could save yourself 300 dollars.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Maby Mountainhorse can jump in and enlighten us on this subject. He knows a thing or two about the CFI's and i know hes been looking at this thread.........

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
When i watch my gauge...

Ok.. so i start my sled and let it idle up to 120.. then get on and slow rap rap till i see maybe 127 and starts going down.. It's Warmed up and ready to ride!

now.. i ride it for 30 min or so..

Shut it off.. temp was 126 F

Temps are climbing! we can't see it but they are..

Ok so it been 5 mins..

Start it up.. and wow 147 140.. some where in there..

drive 20 feet or so.. rip rip.. and Bam! lol 115 or 120F

Temps..

So what does that tell you..

Just thoughts..

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, so the temps move a little, but that is coming right from the sensor which is immersed in coolant, I still dont see these sudden drops actually affecting the block temps that quickly or that dramatically.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
First off... It is great to see new product developments come around.

I'm curious... how does this work on the non Dragon/PRO RMK's that have the bypass circuit active with the front bulkhead tunnel cooler.

How does this "cooperate" with the stock Dragon/PRO bypass style thermostat?

Has the 'optimal working temperature" that the ECU de-tunes the motor on the different CFi motors been determined? (too hot or too cold)...

Redneck Racing: We determined that a sled running at its optimal working temperature will constantly produce it’s true horsepower. When the coolant temperature would not remain consistant, the ecu would have to compensate by detuning the engine

O

Outlaw

Nov 27, 2007
Jackson Hole,WY
Redneck Racing is back from the Boise Snow Show.

Thanks for all the great comments and questions. Also thanks to all the folks that came and saw us in Boise. I hope we were able to answer your questions. As far as the questions that have been posted on this thread, I will do my best to answer all of them.
GMCRMK- Yes the kit is 300.00 if extending the life of your motor is not worth it or you are not having a problem then I wish you the best of luck.
RIVER RAT-Yes. Dyno tests are done at a colder temp. However the 800 sleds are running anywere from 125 to 170 the heat soak brings it up and the cold shot brings it down, so your temps are all over the map and the ECU is constantly compensating for the temp difference. The inline that we developed equilizes the cooling system. Constant temps. Better performance.
SNO DAWG-I can understand your concern on Warrenty. However if you will browse thru your owners manual we are not. We are simply equalizing the cooling system. According to polaris as long as you are not modifying the engine with pipe,cans,air intake and so on it does not void the warranty. This is of course depending on your dealer.
SLEDHOOLIGAN- Thank you. Point well put.
M8SANDMAN- The temps that you are seeing is great in the powder. We also see lower temps in deep snow. Have you watched what it does when you stop to help some one? Temps will spike due to heat soak. Then due to the snow on the tunnel that coolant is super cooled and when you restart it takes 5 seconds for the cold coolant to hit the engine. So from heat soaked temp of say 175 or higher down to 85. That is a cold shot. How many times can you bend a piece of metal before it breaks!
NAPAMATT- Yes. Coolant was filled system was bled and the pistons were inspected. And no they were not showing any signs of scuffing. Metal Memory has a lot to do with it.
BAGGER- A warmup does help. However if you are riding and have a warmed up sled and you jump off in the powder, make a few carves then stop to help your buddy that got stuck while carving a tree well are you going to make a few laps around him first for your easy slowdown? Even if you do your sled heat soaks and when you start it the cold coolant will cold shot the motor. With the 2008 thru 2011 design it can not be helped.
REG2VIEW- Smaller coolers will speed up the cold shot to the engine. The new pro pumps 25 gallons per minute. Also due to less coolant in the tunnel coolers it cools off faster. The 08 thru 2010 800 seem to have more of a problem than the 600 and 700. However we have still seen signs of the cold shot in all makes and models. The systems are all basically the same. Cold coolant comes back in from the tunnel directly to the water pump and rapidly cools the engine.
BUGIT0- It is a bunch of inline parts, Also a custom designed and built thermostat and a molded high temp plastic two piece unit that is fused together. How much is it to rebuid you motor?
TRENCHMASTER- Please refer to BAGGER
JAYNELSON- Please refer to BAGGER
LONGGOLD-Please refer to NAPAMATT
MTNSLEDDER- We have been testing for three years. And yes we did try just the bypass. That is mentioned on our web page.
TANMAN- i understand the concern. Unknown company. Keep an eye on the snowest project sled build. Our product is going on that sled. And as far as who we are. Redneck Racing is a company that was started by the Owners of Action Polaris in Jackson Hole,WY. We have been doing this for a while.
TURBOLOVER- Please refer to BAGGER. The cold shot can not be stopped unless you want to stop for enough time to let the engine temp cool down to the same as the tunnel temp. If not regardless of how you warm it up after you have a heat soaked moter you have already had a cold shot.
REG2VIEW- Well put. Thanks for clearing that up. And we did test on more than one sled. We had 3 sleds with a combined 5500 miles. The 800 assault had 2000 when we pulled the pistons for the showcase. We now have another 800 plus on that sled. We have an 800 dragon with 1200 miles, and a second 800 Dragon test sled 1500 miles. I now have the Gizmo on my 2011 pro 163 and it is running within our specs and on my 08 700 dragon turbo.
SKIBREEZE- Have you been watching your temps?
SNOPRO_AC- If you let a stock sled just sit and Idle it will not cool off. Your motor will heat soak more. Then when you do shut it off and restart it you will get a cold shot. But you can still save 300 dollars and just take your chances. Not everybody had to rebuild their motors multiple times.
MOUNTAINHORSE- Thanks for jumping in. The kit that we have for the models with bypass coolers has a cap and a clamp to bypass that cooler. All that coolers is doing is cooling things off even more so the cold shot is more severe. By installing the Gizmo along with the stock thermostat we are equalizing the system. As far as when it detunes to hot or to cold it is both. The ECU is constantly compansating for the temperature variation.

I hope that I was able to answer most of your questions. We will be checking in on a regular basis to answer any more that might come up. Feel free to PM me or get on the web site. www.redneckracing.com Send us an E Mail or give us a call. Thanks again for all your comments, Good and Bad.
Trevor

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
I was told its considerd a chassie mod not and engine mod thats how you determined you can get around warranty with this product. Will every Polaris dealer go for this or just the one up here in Jackson? Im not trying to bag on your product as other people i ride with and myself do ride these same sleds and see the same spike in temps and the heat soak problems but for other people that may be interested in this they mostly are worried about warranty. Just Wondering if you had talked with any other dealers about this product and what they had to say.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
i think someone should get in touch with a metallurgist i think the effects of the "cold shot" are being over stated to pedal a product that the industry has somehow managed to survive all these years without

O

Outlaw

Nov 27, 2007
Jackson Hole,WY
Powder hound.
It really is up to the dealer. No, I have not called around to other dealers and asked. Like you said it is not an engine mod. And according to Polaris's own guidelines it will not void your warranty. I would talk to my local dealer and argue the point. Polaris can void your warranty because of a pipe, can or air box but that is a engine mod not a cooling system mod.

Treeclimber.
Have we survived all these years without it? Ask around to dealers and read the forums regarding 800 burndowns. We started three years ago to fix a problem because we could not go ride for a weekend without a tow rope. Granted, pre 2008 we did not have near the proplems that we have now. Thats evolution. You want proof, take a look at this web site. All metal contracts with cold and expands with heat. http://www.sciencebyjones.com/expansion_contraction.htm

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Polaris can void your warranty because of a pipe, can or air box but that is a engine mod not a cooling system mod.

How is the cooling system not part of an engine, but a can and air box is??? You are modifying something that does affect how the factory engineered the engine and its cooling system. You are taking the same chance with this product as with any other aftermarket product...and I have a few too.

Show us something from Polaris, not a dealer that may or may-not cover a warranty claim. Dealers cannot work for free and expect to stay in business forever.

Last edited:
O

Outlaw

Nov 27, 2007
Jackson Hole,WY
Polaris has several different departments. Engine is seperate from cooling and chassis is its own department as well. As far as a dealer working for free they are not. When an engine is warrantied the dealer is paid for it. Same as when you take your truck in to have work done. It is up to the dealer to go to bat for the customer and get the item repaired under warranty. The dealer is not paying for it. Some one jump in when they find their owners manual. Otherwise I will copy the page and post in the AM.

Premium Features