• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can of food blew up under the hood! Need clean-up advise.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
So last year I am out bangin' some waste deep freshies and feel it's time to take a break. I pull up along side my buddy, shut the sled off and BOOOOOM my can of Clam Chowder blows up! Guess I had it sitting on the pipe way to long. Needless to say it made one heck of a mess. Without getting a powerwasher in there to clean it it, what is the best way to get it off of everthing? I mean the can was empty and completely covered every inch of the engine bay. Soak and scrub? Steam clean? Best chemical that wont hurt wiring and hoses?

DONT OVER COOK YOUR FOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
put it on a 2 place open trailer and take it over to the car wash lay it on the side, open the hood and go to town. Drop it off to Geo after and pick it up in a week after his dog has had some time to work.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Love the dog idea! Would have done it immediately but no heat in the garage plus the smell of Klotz and a freshly cooked meal made me smiles all day! Put the sled away at the end of the year and got so busy this summer that it slipped my mind. Started to tear into the sled last week and Oh S*#T!
Any safe cleaners to spray it down with to help break things up before going to town on it. Typical low pressure power washer and a stiff bristled paintbrush is the plan.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
nothing like firing up your sled and having it smell like an old girlfriend after she gets lost at 2am in the streets of tiajuana and gets picked up by a horny :face-icon-small-sadgang of drug dealers.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
nothing like firing up your sled and having it smell like an old girlfriend after she gets lost at 2am in the streets of tiajuana and gets picked up by a horny :face-icon-small-sadgang of drug dealers.

Sounds like you know my X ?......That's AOK by me lots of people know her to.

DPG

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
LOL

Take the belt and spare off. Take the panels and hood off....easy enough to wash all that with a hose and wash mitt.

Then I wouldn't be too worried about a hose with a sprayer to get as much off as possible. Don't spray the intake and don't soak it/go nuts. Then just start wiping everywhere with a rag. Fire it up to dry off any residual water. They are absolutely soaked all day riding, so a little water won't hurt as long as you're reasonable. When you're done, spray out the clutches with air.

Given its been drying for months, I think doing it without some water will suck.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Open side panel. Throw one cat inside. Close side panel. Cats love clams. If you are like me, the only good cat is a dead cat, so if it expires while under hood no big deal, eh?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Run it in the snow, first. You may have discovered a new performance kit, redefining clamshell pipe wrap. Clamatic Coatings, Inc. And possibly a low cost beacon, just follow the circling sea gulls.

"got a dog", good one, Geo.

Cleaner-wise, Simple Green is safe for anything under the hood. Not the most powerful, but safe. Good old Dawn would probably work well, too, diluted, of course. Cuts the food grease. That's where I would start. Low pressure, too, the poo wiring harness does not inspire confidence in durability. If it was me, I'd pull the pipe and can and clean separately, and thoroughly seal up the exhaust and intake before I start spraying. As said, don't go nuts. Good luck.

Premium Features