• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best pistons for turbo yamaha?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Hey guys I was wondering for those that have built up their motors, which company seems to make the best/ most reliable piston? J&e and cp are the 2 brands that come to mind, also looking at running 10:1 compression, at 18+ psi would the fuel requirement be pretty much race gas or would 50/50 mix suffice?
Thanks
spenser

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
We run run CP pistons built to Impulses specs, gas ported, bigger ring land, coated wrist pin etc. We run as much boost as the knob will allow and they been working great!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
X2 on CP. We have had great luck with them.

I have talked to several guys that have run Wiseco with good luck, but I don't want to risk it.

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I think you will do well with CP or JE but IMO the pistons are really not the weak link from my limited understanding. It is the abuse on the bearings and rods from deto. All the guys I know run JE but I know Paul

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Get a set of JE's from hurricane performance, beefed up for turbo applications. Do rods before piston though, they are the week link over 20 lbs. As for fuel what kit are you running? With the Impulse Standalone and an inexpensive meth injection kit you can run 91 octane up to 17-18lbs all day long and never have to worry. (at 6000' and up).

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Building up motor for high HP and top reliability, carillo rods were a given, and also planned on meth Injection, just wasn't sure on pistons I've heard good and bad on lots of em. Not sure on what kit I will go with, prolly impulse but im not too sure about going standalone, I like the boost it setup. Has anyone been doing anything with main bearings or is stock just fine?

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
they were cracking and the rings are placed very high up on the piston . I got my cp pistons on friday and they look pretty impressive .

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
One was me and it had nothing to do with the pistons, it was an improper valve seat installation by a shop that caused my dual rate springs to bind and cause ridiculous damage. JE had issues with the very first Nytro pistons but have since fixed the issue. I run JE's from Hurricane Performance with all the bosst I want and have had no issues.

They were all piston failures? What caused the failure?

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
I didnt pull you down ,just came back to a shiny nytro on the back of my truck :face-icon-small-hap . still no idea how 2 guys got a dead sled up there though ? When are you and Shane comming north to rip it up ?

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Ill be up hopefully on December 26 for a few days with Paul and the boys.
I'll tell ya what, it was no easy task getting that Nytro up a sled deck with only 2 guys. :face-icon-small-con

I didnt pull you down ,just came back to a shiny nytro on the back of my truck :face-icon-small-hap . still no idea how 2 guys got a dead sled up there though ? When are you and Shane comming north to rip it up ?

Last edited:
Premium Features