• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me choose a GPS

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm looking to get a handheld GPS. 99% of the time I would never use it because I'm very well versed in keeping my bearings and know the areas I ride like the back of my hand. But I plan to start exploring places all over the west through the next few years and I think it would be handy to have as a survival tool. That being said I'm not looking for anything too expensive.

I've found a few used Garmin Oregon 400t's on amazon for around $230. Also, Cabelas has an Oregon 600 for 250.

From what I can see the 600 model is the newer version of the 400. and the t designation means they come pre uploaded with a topo map. I know there are other maps you can download but they seem to be fairly expensive. Is the topo map usable for what I would be doing? Would I still REQUIRE other maps if I got a "t" designation?

Little help would be appreciated.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I would like to know too! I have been procrastinating about buying one for two years. Touch screen? Button pushing? Sled friendly? I would need something simple. :face-icon-small-ton

Jan 12, 2015
gps

I would spend my $ on the rino!
530hcx or 655t both great units , however some don't like the touch screens like the 655t and some do.
if you ride with a friend talk him into one also.
the 2 way radios and tracking are priceless if you get split up or there's a brakedown .

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
What options would you suggest?

No cell service where we ride. I have an iphone 6+. Can that be used as a GPS with no service?
I found the following on Google. It's a start.
http://gpsinformation.us/main/whichgps.html

I gave a lot of thought to just using a smart phone, but being that I ride out of service or in/out of service, it tends to kill my battery. With a GPS you can keep extra batteries in your pack and just change them out if they die. The reason I want a GPS is for emergency situations where it is a last resort. Not buying it to use all the time. If you depend on a cell phone app to get you out at the end of the day and pull out your phone and it's dead....you're out of options

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
I know on my arctic cat it has a plug in for charging phones or GPS units. So you don't have to worry about a dead battery on any of these units.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I just talked with Apple. Google earth or maps won't work without cell service. A GPS would mainly be for emergencies for us too. I think it would be worth the investment. Cost less than the avy pack I hope I never have to use! :)
I think it would be fun to have for other things too!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I just talked with Apple. Google earth or maps won't work without cell service. A GPS would mainly be for emergencies for us too. I think it would be worth the investment. Cost less than the avy pack I hope I never have to use! :)

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Garmin Oregon 600 at cabelas...this is a smokin deal

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03604521&rid=20

you can download a satellite image subscription for $30 that lasts a year but you can keep the imagery after it is up, you just don't get it updated.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN

Gps will though. I use maps 3d and it works great, even with no service. I agree with the points of having a standalone gps, but your phone will work just fine, and may be better for certain things.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Gps will though. I use maps 3d and it works great, even with no service. I agree with the points of having a standalone gps, but your phone will work just fine, and may be better for certain things.
But my phone won't show me where I am without service. When I have service, Google Earth clearly shows me with pin point accuracy where I am. I love my iphone 6+ for that. Very clear and easy to see and use. I would like to see a GPS similar to that.
I am not very good with technology so I don't always catch on. I apologize if I sound like an idiot. :face-icon-small-dis

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
But my phone won't show me where I am without service. When I have service, Google Earth clearly shows me with pin point accuracy where I am. I love my iphone 6+ for that. Very clear and easy to see and use. I would like to see a GPS similar to that.
I am not very good with technology so I don't always catch on. I apologize if I sound like an idiot. :face-icon-small-dis

iPhones will gps track without service. I use mine every weekend to track in tons of places that I don't have service.

You need to download/save the map of where you will be if you'd like a map to look at aswell, but it will show you, and everywhere you've gone on it even if there is no service. It will also still do breadcrumb tracking even if you don't have the map saved.

That is one of the benefits of using the phone, a big, easy, touchscreen with good graphics.

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
I have an iPhone 6. I bought Gaia GPS Maps for $20. It allows you to download and save all sorts of basemaps for offline use.

All iPhones from the 3S on I believe have GPS receivers built into them. Same with Samsung, etc. as you can see in the attached image, my phone was in airplane mode, because I was flying from Boise to Denver yesterday.

That said, we have been using the Garmin Rinos since they first came out in 2003. For me, there is no better way to keep track of your friends than with these radios. Being able to pole another's position if they are stuck or broken and you can't see them is invaluable. My wife and I have the 610s. I would recommend getting the 650 or 655 though. The 610 has 1 watt transmit in GMRS where the 650 and 655 have 5 watt. All have 0.5w transmit in FRS bands (ch 2-14).

image.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I swear! You guys know more about Apple products than the bird brains at Apple do! Frustrating............:face-icon-small-ton

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Yeah the iPhone 6 is awesome as a gps.
I'm out sledding now and followed my track in from an area I mapped 2 yrs ago. We never would have found it otherwise!
Great day of sledding!
I use the lifeproof case and mount and the MotionX app, and run the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery, 8hrs recording track today and still had 40% battery left.
MotionX automatically caches maps if you pan over the area you plan to sled. But really all you need is the breadcrumb trail.
I color code the previous tracks so it is really nice to follow in.
Cold can be an issue but not too bad. I keep it on the dash mount when following a track and then in a thigh pocket when playing to keep it warm.

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
I use back country navigator app ,you can download the area you are going to and it works when you do not have service.My phone is a Motorola droid I assume the app would work on a iPhone.l am looking into purchasing a new GPS unit also.

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
X2 on the backcountry navigator app. That app is only available on android phones, now that I have an iPhone, I still carry my old android phone just for the backcountry navigator app. Download all the areas we ride at home, the run it in airplane mode with only the gps on, once were out of cell range. Super accurate within a few feet

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I use back country navigator app ,you can download the area you are going to and it works when you do not have service.My phone is a Motorola droid I assume the app would work on a iPhone.l am looking into purchasing a new GPS unit also.

I just purchased the backcountry navigator app over spending the money on a Rhino. Until my riding buddies decide they want to get Rhinos as well I think this app will work great.
I have an iPhone 6b plus. What handlebar mounts are you guys finding work best?

Premium Features