• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY engine torque stop (Mag side)

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
With Boost it and Fire+Ice both making mag side torque stops for about 100 bucks I came up with my own inexpensive idea...we all like to save some money for other stuff like beer and pizza right?!

I already installed new motor mount pucks and a slp torque arm on my 12 assault earlier this year, but I was still experiencing a lot of engine movement and hot belts. After looking at the aftermarket design and a quick run to the hardware store, take about 10 bucks outta the wallet, 1 hr teardown to finish and I was done.

Parts list:
3/8'' aluminum turnbuckle nominal length 16''
1/4''x 1 3/8'' u bolt
Engine torque button from old Polaris sled parts. (stud on button is course thread 3/8'', it will thread into the RH thread end of the turnbuckle)

Here is the finished product.

Ran it for a good 100 mi of powerline/ditch/river running in 2-4 feet of snow and it stayed put.

IMG_20140307_221208[1].jpg

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Gap

I don't have it tight to the case. I snugged it up with fingers so it was just touching, then backed it off about 1/8 turn...Face of the button wasn't smooth because it was used on a different sled before.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Edit:
I think the u bolt was actually 5/16 x 1 3/8.

When tightening it is easy to squish the bulkhead support you're clamping to...use your best judgement here

Premium Features