• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New truck and trailer build

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Other than the issues...it must tow pretty good eh?

Yep I was doing 112 no problem, pulled the Drumheller 6% grade at about 100. 2 sleds on the deck, 5 in the trailer.

Engine is starting to break in, getting better fuel mileage. With just 2 sleds on the deck, from Dead Man Flats to Calgary I was getting 13 mpg doing 120.

The colder it is the worse fuel economy I get, it's quite a difference.

1959237_10153853648030301_131413618_n.jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Yep I was doing 112 no problem, pulled the Drumheller 6% grade at about 100. 2 sleds on the deck, 5 in the trailer.

Engine is starting to break in, getting better fuel mileage. With just 2 sleds on the deck, from Dead Man Flats to Calgary I was getting 13 mpg doing 120.

are those mph or kph?

Truck looks AWESOME

every time i see a new post in your thread i get all excited to see pics of the truck/trailer together .... hurry up! haha

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
are those mph or kph?

Truck looks AWESOME

every time i see a new post in your thread i get all excited to see pics of the truck/trailer together .... hurry up! haha

That is in KPH. It tops out at 122 kph. I wouldn't want to go faster because that burns tires off and at $1500 per tire it would get expensive.

Thanks! I'm really happy with it.

I want the trailer done more than anyone. The reason I went with this company was that they promised me it would be done at the end of January... I will call them Wednesday and see if it's ready.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You should look into a forged shank/hitch setup. They really aren't that much money compared to what you've spent already ;)

I'll be honest, I'm very surprised at the mileage you get!

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
You should look into a forged shank/hitch setup. They really aren't that much money compared to what you've spent already ;)

I'll be honest, I'm very surprised at the mileage you get!

I ended up getting a forged 10" drop from Airdrie. I am going to talk to the deck builder to see if he could lower the back part.

Ya I was happy, on the way up pulling the trailer the fuel economy wasn't that great, it really depends on the outside temp. It only had 1700km on the engine when we left, so it still needs to break in.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Wow, that's awesome.

How comfortable are those to ride in? Does that have two bucket seats in the back, or 3? From the giant picture, it looks like buckets, not a bench.

Honestly, if I was spending up for rig that can haul 7 sleds such as your config, I'd extend the chassis and put a 3rd row in it.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Tell me about the 9liter engine. What are some of the specs on it?

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
Wow, that's awesome.

How comfortable are those to ride in? Does that have two bucket seats in the back, or 3? From the giant picture, it looks like buckets, not a bench.

Honestly, if I was spending up for rig that can haul 7 sleds such as your config, I'd extend the chassis and put a 3rd row in it.

The front seats are really nice and comfortable, only problem is they don't recline far enough IMO, I will have to take some photos of it. They are wider seats than normal. I love driving this, I take it to town to get groceries. haha :face-icon-small-blu Finally a truck I can stretch out in.

The rear has 3 air ride seats, they aren't as comfortable, still debating what I should do with them. The rear bench would be nice, then I could fold it out and sleep on it. But it probably wouldn't feel nice to ride in, no air ride on the bench seat.

Once I have the gooseneck hooked up it will be a lot smoother.

Not sure I would do that, this truck wasn't build specifically for hauling sleds. I usually bring 3 sleds for myself hahaha. This year I only brought two to Revy.

Usually we bring another truck so the guys have more room, but we will see, when I get my new trailer I will probably sleep in it since we have so much money tied up into it and have the other 4 guys in a room or two.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The front seats are really nice and comfortable, only problem is they don't recline far enough IMO, I will have to take some photos of it. They are wider seats than normal. I love driving this, I take it to town to get groceries. haha :face-icon-small-blu Finally a truck I can stretch out in.

The rear has 3 air ride seats, they aren't as comfortable, still debating what I should do with them. The rear bench would be nice, then I could fold it out and sleep on it. But it probably wouldn't feel nice to ride in, no air ride on the bench seat.

Once I have the gooseneck hooked up it will be a lot smoother.

Not sure I would do that, this truck wasn't build specifically for hauling sleds. I usually bring 3 sleds for myself hahaha. This year I only brought two to Revy.

Usually we bring another truck so the guys have more room, but we will see, when I get my new trailer I will probably sleep in it since we have so much money tied up into it and have the other 4 guys in a room or two.

I've seen Pimp My Ride. LOL
Those guys can monkey-up some pretty nice features...they can build ANYTHING, LOL.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I've seen Pimp My Ride. LOL
Those guys can monkey-up some pretty nice features...they can build ANYTHING, LOL.

I found out I can change the recline of my front seats. Anyways.

Yeah, the sport chassis's have awesome rear seats.

2009-Black-Amber-Interior-Rear-Seat.jpg

1240260699.jpg

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
How many sleds can you fit in there? That truck is bad ***.

Thanks!

The 30' bumper pull trailer we can get 5. 1-174", 4-156" and then 2 sleds on the deck.

My 48' should hold 7 or 8. It's not ready yet though.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I love this thread, it's cool to see griffin's updates on a bada$$ truck and trailer build. No look at me ego, just a clean build.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I love this thread, it's cool to see griffin's updates on a bada$$ truck and trailer build. No look at me ego, just a clean build.

Thanks, I will give guys the honest truth about the truck and trailer. I don't care if it's the best or not, as long as it works for me. This is a work truck first, sled hauler second. One guy has already ordered a truck almost exactly like this from the dealer I ordered from, which I think is cool, he found a truck that should last in the oil patch.

The trailer company just called me an hour ago. Told me they ran into "minor issues". Turns out they didn't calculate the wheels hitting the fender, bit more than a minor issue I think. They will have to cut out the fender wells and move them. I was going to pick it up tomorrow, but I told them to take their time, they are going to be a month past the deadline so why rush now.

I'm hoping to get it and take it to the Snowest ride but I am not sure if it will be possible. I still want to put a furnace in it, wire it all up and install the super clamps and super glides.

Premium Features