• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! Need powder coat color code for nuclear sunset orange

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I want to powder coat a few parts Nuclear Sunset Orange to match my new panels but I am having a tough time finding the right powder color. Does anyone know what it is?

Prismatic makes a Nuclear Sunset Orange powder but it is nowhere close to a match.

Thanks,

B

BIGMEATS

Oct 29, 2008
Warman, SK
Have you had any luck finding the paint code?
I am on my way to my powder coat place with a panel and the rails plus spindles
Hoping they can get it close

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Not at all. I've been to the local paint shop, the powder coater, tried to get a paint chip from Polaris, no luck. I have the paint codes from Polaris as well as all the info the dealer could find on the paint. It is actually Orange Gold Metallic topcoated with a flat clear. I am going to one more powder coater at lunch and if he can't help me I am going to order a can of paint from Polaris, make a paint chip and mail it to Prismatic and see if they can match it. They make the powder and they have over 6,500 colors so hopefully they can get close. After that, the next option is to have Prismatic make up a custom color for a couple hundred bucks.

We ordered a bunch of chips from Prismatic last week but none of them were close.

whoops - got the name wrong - it is actually called Anodized Orange Metallic in Polaris's paint supplier list. Code is 625 if you are looking

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
A suggestion... for suspension and other parts... I don't suggest the matte... Been there, done that.

Ice and snow sticks more readily... Different than the painted panels.

Find the correct match in Gloss, it will look correct and function better.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If you are STUCK on the matte...This is a decent match when applied over silver base (2 stage pow coat)

More "orange-ie" than the sample below.

ANODIZED ORANGE TRANSPARENT (FLAT)

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/ANODIZED_ORANGE_TRANSPARENT_-FLAT/

anoorange1.jpg

c1ce9dff-9676-4686-99e0-64e3c3c73c9e.jpg

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
A suggestion... for suspension and other parts... I don't suggest the matte... Been there, done that.

Ice and snow sticks more readily... Different than the painted panels.

Find the correct match in Gloss, it will look correct and function better.

I'm not stuck on the matte but I can't find a match in gloss either

B

BIGMEATS

Oct 29, 2008
Warman, SK
I had no luck today either. They said the metallics have poor adhesion and tend to flake off. He said it wouldn't last long in the a snowmobile environment. His words.

spindles and rails are coming back white, and the float3 kits came today

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I actually have a good match here on some A arms and other parts that I did for another project.

No sled to put it next to... but I'm pretty good with colors.

These are two stage Powders...I don't recommend a two stage for rails though as that is a lot of baking.

Candy orange gloss over a fine silver metallic base...
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/CANDY_ORANGE/

Or these over the same silver

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/STARBRITE_ORANGE_COPPER/

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/JOLLIPOP_COPPER_ORANGE/

Best bet is to do samples... the silver over which you put the candy plays a huge roll in the final color.

They can send you 2 oz of each color for samples.

Good luck.

Here are the three different candies above. I have the orange and it is very similar to the Polaris color with the silver I laid it over.

ORANGECANDYWEB3.JPG

jollipopcopper99.jpg

ORANGECOPPERSTARBRITEWEB3.jpg

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I actually have a good match here on some A arms and other parts that I did for another project.

No sled to put it next to... but I'm pretty good with colors.

These are two stage Powders...I don't recommend a two stage for rails though as that is a lot of baking.

Candy orange gloss over a fine silver metallic base...
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/CANDY_ORANGE/

Now I'm just confused - it sounds like candy orange is the one you think is the closest but then you say you don't recommend it - what?

Which one DO you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Nicole at Powder Buy The Pound is AWESOME! She sent me several samples, none of which matched exactly. I called her and discussed it with her and now she is going to experiment a bit and send me a couple custom samples!

OSU Candy Orange is the correct shade but doesn't have the metallic in it so she is going to spray out metallic silver and top with OSU Orange and send it to me.

All this for what might amount to a $50 order - pretty impressive service IMO.

Premium Features